exterior panel ideas

brackethunter

Hi all,

New to this site, it is pretty awesome! I am looking at building a hardside truck camper for my 2011 eco-beast f150. It will be nothing like some of the rigs you all have on here as far as capabilities, but I would like some ammenitites. Camping would primarily be done in above freezing conditions and probably rarely in snow or ice if ever...Working on a ranch I am pretty proficient with any of the fab work needed to build this and after a decade on deer leases in Texas staying in POS used up campers, I definitely know my way around them so building one from scratch should be the next logical step...

I was thinking about a basic welded steel rectangle tube frame (1x2 inch) with the long side of the rectangle articulated in the way where it will give the most support for the area it is in. I cannot weld aluminum so no option. I have 1800 lbs of payload and even at 200 foot of tube I would only be at 350 ish lbs. Interior panel was going to be 3/8 in ply wood, light weight...plastic sheet...rboard....plastic sheet....now exterior panel. I am stuck on what to use for exterior panel. We use polyethylene fastline for water here at the ranch and that stuff is indestructible and seemingly UV resistant. So, off I go looking at poly sheet/panel. I was considering double layered corrugated plastic (super light) with roof flashing/trim and gaskets. Has anyone seen this done with some type of poly panel and are there any that are UV resistant? What about Aluminum trailer skin panels? Are they light? I am just looking to stay under payload with camper and a couple hundred lbs of gear, I will not be off roading as I do not have 4wd but may pull a trailer with a jeep or 4 wheeler. Is the poly panel idea crazy or has anyone seen something like that done? The corrugated ones(like campaign signs) are cheap, could be replaceable they are so cheap. If I double layered I could waffle the corrugation to add rigidity.

I am also very intrigued by these fiberglass sandwich panel construction jobs I have seen on this site. That seems like it would definitely lessen the cost and solve many problems, but I am unfamiliar with that kind of fab. Can you cut the stuff like wood or does it need special materials? Glue and Fiber wrap I could handle.

Thanks for any questions answered. I feel like I just threw up all these ideas I have had in my head the last day right onto the computer screen...I think I may have found a new project to feed my DIY addiction...Now I need to save some money

WC

deminimis

Explorer
You're near my old stomping grounds (Blanco). Coosa makes a Blue Water panel that would be great for building a camper. It's structural (or close to it). I imagine it's pretty pricey. Looks like you start with their panels and glass them together. Works for marine applications, so should work for you. Something to look at anyway. http://coosacomposites.com/

brackethunter

Yep not far at all. Spent many weekends in Blanco County over the years. After researching more I am having a hard time finding a source for any of these sandwich type panels nearby let alone to some guy wanting to build a camper and not a large building or something. I found a company that sells the ones you posted online deminimis but those may be out of my price range.

I think I may just have to skin it myself. Has anyone ever heard of anyone line-x or rhino lining a camper? I am thinking of using some lightweight plastic sheets for the skin (the corrugated type for strength) then sealing all the edges with trim and flashing, then rhino line the whole thing. Any thoughts?

deminimis

Explorer
Perhaps I'm not envisioning your dream correctly, but damn, I think that would look like a giant white, pimply, trud on the back of your rig. However, yes Rhino/Line-X (not sure which, or perhaps both) is now available for RV roofs, so seeing a whole camper shot with the stuff isn't the craziest idea around. However, if there is ever a delam, what a disaster.

Not sure how your alumn skills are, but T-6 square tubing and whatever skin you choose is a tried an true construction practice. You should be able to come up with a fiberglass panel mfr in SA that could make you some monolithic panels. Again, will set you back some $.

Not sure if you're asking, and I hate unsolicited comments, however, I think your best bet is to find and old camper and retrofit it. So much easier and cheaper.

If you want to get really creative, you might consider finding a TPD trailer and modifying that into a camper. I've sized mine up for giggles, and it would work (including a campover bunk). By limiting the rear door drop, you could have an elevated rear deck with ease. Super bombproof (1" steel structure and laminate roof, sides and floor). Heavy though. Something to possibly think about (I know I have).

Vortech%2024.jpg

708596d1362428931-my-trailer-diary-painted-chassis-3-4-13.jpg

Mine:
GOPR0007.JPG

brackethunter

Aluminum skills are non-existent...it will have to be a steel frame. I have also looked at the aluminum trailer skins. I am still working on trying to find a supplier for some FRP board in SA. I hope you are right and I can find some. It certainly would be less steps to build this if all I needed was a welded steel frame to sit in the truck and could build off of that with the panels rather than constructing my own wall panels on a skeleton of steel tube. When you say delaminate, are you meaning if the rhino line delaminated or the panels delaminated?

deminimis

Explorer
I meant the Rhino to the underlayment. If you've ever drilled or had to remove a bit of bedliner (professionally installed) you may find places where it has lifted a bit. At least with my former Silverado, I discovered this in a couple little places (inside corners, for example). Anyway, with my limited experience with bed liner, it does seem is doesn't stick to 100% of the surface forever. If you had intrusion on a sidewall, for example, what a mess. Plus, the stuff is heavy, so shooting a whole camper may not be the best plan. I love the idea of doing a roof with it. I know to do approximately a 30 foot RV, for example, the cost was in the neighborhood of $4k just for the roof. Pricey.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Aluminum skills are non-existent...it will have to be a steel frame. I have also looked at the aluminum trailer skins. I am still working on trying to find a supplier for some FRP board in SA. I hope you are right and I can find some. It certainly would be less steps to build this if all I needed was a welded steel frame to sit in the truck and could build off of that with the panels rather than constructing my own wall panels on a skeleton of steel tube. When you say delaminate, are you meaning if the rhino line delaminated or the panels delaminated?

I may be able to help you with composite panels. We ship world wide. Feel free to send me a email through our website.

brackethunter

just struck out again with a company called permatherm...yeah that would suck if it delaminated, I guess in my f-150 the only places I have noticed it come off was more of a chip from throwing stuff in the bed than anything else. It is thin and from the factory.

I will check out your website Victorian

brackethunter

I found this company called Composite Panel Building Systems in Robstown, TX. Really hoping they can provide panels to me although it looks like they may only do large contracts. This is exactly what I want and close enough to pick up in half a day round trip...check out the R value R-26! A yeti cooler full of ice and a fan blowing over it in a camper made of that and you would be pretty comfortable even in the Texas summer! Sorry would have posted a link but I guess I can't as a new member or something.

I also sent a message to total composites

deminimis

Explorer
Again, unless you have some sort of balls-out, super-vision about what to build and it's for a highly specific need, seriously, look at picking up an older TC like Bigfoot (for example) and modifying it to fit you needs. I priced one 5'x8'x.5" double sided honey comb core panel at $1k per panel from one source, before shipping. Sure I could find a better deal out there, but that stuff adds up. I hope to eventually build a very specific camper based on a plan I have in mind, but the cost of sheathing the thing is a huge obstacle (well, not as huge as time I don't have, but a huge obstacle nonetheless). Again, sorry for the unsolicited opinion. Now go have a Shiner Bock on me.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You list a number of different panels, so which one specifically? They look great.
First off, I don't want this to be seen as advertising, I'm just responding to deminimis question. If anyone needs more info please contact me through PM or our website. Cheers,

I'm not sure what was used for that exact truck but we are offering several options:

30mm/ 1.18” ****
40mm/ 1.57” *
50mm/ 1.96” *
60mm/ 2.36” *
65mm/ 2.55” *
Or any other custom size in between!

-High gloss FRP skin comes pre finished in UV resistant white Gelcoat
-Woven FRP skin (high impact) is high gloss but without UV protection
(designed for inside of cargo trucks or outside of expedition trucks)
-Matt FRP skin is used inside and ready for finishing
-FRP skins can be combined in any configuration with foam or honeycomb core

Foam is Extruded Polystyrene or PU

**** Fits our aluminum extrusions

* FRP extrusions can be custom sized to fit panels

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior