Door lock shenanigans fix with pix

mr_ed

Toolbag
I know this door lock issue has been dealt with several places, such as here, but I figured I'd add my own write-up as the others are short on pictures. I just finished this repair following the instructions, and it's pretty straightforward. It sure is nice being able to unlock the Monty without utilizing the "trick to it."

The vehicle is a 97 LS with 180k miles. The symptom was whenever you tried to unlock the vehicle, either by hitting the button on the inside or using the key, the rig would unlock itself and then intantly re-lock itself.

I followed the instructions linked to above and sure enough, my actuator motor's little rubber bumpstops had indeed turned to black cream cheese. This was allowing the locking arm quadrant to overthrow itself, overunning the microswitches and causing the motor to freak out back to the locked position. After I removed the motor and popped the cover off (and cutting myself...careful with pocket knives), I plugged it back into the door harness and did some experimenting with feeler gauges (keep those minds out of the gutters, folks) and figured out that 3/32" was about the right size for a new bumpstop. The old bumpstops were too far gone to pull any measurement off of. I found some high density sealing foam that happened to be the right thickness, cut little squares of it to fit where the old bump stops had been, and epoxied those squares in place. The foam is the type you can get at auto supply stores for sealing windows and suchlike.

Please forgive the weird looking pictures. I have one of those Hitcase Pro ruggedized cases on my iphone and it has a fisheye lens. Great for awesome outdoors shots...not so much for technical photography it would seem.

Here's a pic of the door with the panel off. The actuator motor is inside, lower left corner of door, oriented up and down. Two 10mm bolts hold it in

lock1.jpg

The two 10mm bolts...

lock5.jpg

The removed door panel:

lock2.jpg

Here's a pic inside the door, looking up at the motor from below. You can see the wiring harness plug that you have to undo when you take the motor out. I was able to unbolt the motor and get it outside the door before unplugging the harness...much easier than trying to get that plug undone in the door.

lock3.jpg

Inside the door looking down at the actuator. As you can see, I've already disconnected the pushrod that goes from the actuator arm (with the little green clip) up to the door lock itself

lock4.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the componant of the hour:

lock7.jpg

lock8.jpg

lock9.jpg

And with the mounting bracket removed:

lock10.jpg

Here's inside. You can see the little foam bumpstops that I installed. I didn't get a pic of the old ones...but they just looked like slimy black grease.

lock11.jpg

mr_ed

Toolbag
...and pictures 11 and 12

Actuated one way...

lock12.jpg

...and the other way.

lock13.jpg

Re-assembly is the reverse.

Hope this helps anybody who's looking to fix this problem. It's pretty easy. The door panel comes off in a very logical fashion, and it's not made out of graham cracker...which is nice. The actuator is easy to get to (once you cut through the sealing plastic, of course.) Just keep the cuts to a minimum and in straight lines, and you can duct or packaging tape them back sealed on your way out.

Sure beats dropping $$ on some other actuator that may be about to have the same problem!

Cheers,

Ed

bikerjosh

Explorer
I like the foam idea. I used shoe goo and built up the bumpers- a pain and not easy to work with but worked. If it fails again I'll try this. Actually grabbed an actuator out a 2000 at the PnP so I'd have a spare.

RyanY

Adventurer
Alternatively, instead of cutting it, you can peel the vapor barrier away from the black goo that seals it to the door, then restick it to the same goo when you're done with the repair. It's somewhat messier, but you're keeping the integrity of the moisture barrier intact.

mr_ed

Toolbag
Alternatively, instead of cutting it, you can peel the vapor barrier away from the black goo that seals it to the door, then restick it to the same goo when you're done with the repair. It's somewhat messier, but you're keeping the integrity of the moisture barrier intact.

Good point. I didn't try on this project. I never had much luck doing that on my Samurais...seemed like the goop was always too strong for the plastic. Of course, the quality of materials is somewhat less in Samurais compared to Monteros...

Sent while on the toilet using Tapatalk

mr_ed

Toolbag
You win the prize for the "Other cool toys in the garage" category.

I'm just glad I don't have to (singlehandedly) pay for the fuel in those things lol! 6000 lbs of fuel is max bag. 1400 lbs more than my whole Montero weighs...just in fuel.

Of course, they do go "uphill" much better than a Montero does...

RyanY

Adventurer
The lock solenoid in the driver's door is the "master" solenoid, since it's designed to enable the single key turn/double key turn logic to open the other doors. Every instance of the door lock issue that I'm aware of has been fixed by repairing or replacing that solenoid.

mr_ed

Toolbag
My wife's Montero locks would sketch out when we tried to unlock the rig from the passenger door as well, but fixing the master solenoid in the driver door fixed the problem at all positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94