Costa Rica and beyond

rcharrette

Adventurer
I posted this in the "In progress adventures" but thought I'd put it here as well because we are always traveling as a family, myself, wife 10yr old and 18mo old Son's.
Hi all, Happy Thanksgiving! We are a couple of weeks into our winter travels, chasing warm temp's, surfing and cycling. Currently we are in Tamarindo Costa Rica. We'll be here through December 10th then fly home to Colorado to pick up our camper. From there it's Sedona, AZ, Tucson,AZ and onto So Cal until April/May.
Feel free to follow alonghttp://pedaladventures.com/costa-rica-weeks-one-and-two/

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanksgiving Adventure

Well, our day started with us rolling backwards down a busy street in a Costa Rican taxi. The drive could not get it started so he was trying to "pop the clutch" as cars honked at us for going backwards on the wrong side of the road! Thankfully on the 3rd try he got it going and we were on out way to Playa Conchal. Per the name, the beach and sea bed are all crushed sea shell's. It's a really amazing swim beach with crystal clear water.
Here is a short video of our day there:

rcharrette

Adventurer
Playa Grande

It's been a crazy busy weekend here in Tamarindo so we decided to head over to Playa Grande for the day. To get there you simply walk over to the inlet and jump on a small boat. It's $1 PP for the short trip across the inlet. Some people swim or paddle it on their boards but there are crocodiles! Once on the other side it's a nice 1hr walk on the beach. After the hike out we got a beer and taco at a great little taco bar called Taco Star then it was time to surf. As the tide started to come up it was time to start the hike back. We have to walk the beach as the tide goes right up to the jungle so if we waited to long we'd be stuck! We made it back in time to the crowds of Tamarindo enjoying the sunset.
www.pedaladventures.com

Attachments

• GOPR0751.jpg
    GOPR0751.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 20
  • GOPR0764.jpg
    GOPR0764.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 30
  • GOPR0765.jpg
    GOPR0765.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 19
  • GOPR0768.jpg
    GOPR0768.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Get out of Tamagringo and head south to the real Costa Rica as fast as you can! The southern end of the Nicoya and all the way south to the Osa is where its at. Samara, Santa Teresa, and Montezuma are all within a days drive from Costa Rica's answer to the Dominican Republic. Pura Vida.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Get out of Tamagringo and head south to the real Costa Rica as fast as you can! The southern end of the Nicoya and all the way south to the Osa is where its at. Samara, Santa Teresa, and Montezuma are all within a days drive from Costa Rica's answer to the Dominican Republic. Pura Vida.
Agreed about a Santa Teresa, was there in Sept and am headed back in March. Definitely head that way if you get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rcharrette

Adventurer
Yea

I hear you about Tamarindo but we are easing back into this. Our 2 yr old Son was murdered 2 years ago while traveling abroad and this is our first trip out of the USA since. It's actually our 4th time here in Costa Rica, we've also stayed a month in Nosara and spent some time in Montezuma. For this trip though we're laying pretty low enjoying the warm temps, water and getting our "feet wet" again.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Any chance you are heading into Nicaragua? We enjoyed San Jaun Del Sur and Popoyo. Maybe stop in with Nica Vida Surf Lodge (awesome family).

Great pics!, thanks for sharing. Makes us wish we were on the road at the moment.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nosara is the best. I've spent so many days surfing Playa Guiones. I love Costa Rica all around. Cant wait to get back there.

Sorry about your son....pretty intense to read that. Glad you are still able to get out and explore.

rcharrette

Adventurer
back home (for a quick visit)

We flew home to SW Colorado a few days ago. What a change! After a month of upper 80's to low 90's we were welcomed home with snow, and plenty of it!
It feels great to be back with our pup and fun to get the Rover out in the snow.
Now we move onto phase 2 of the winter. We've spent the past 3 days reorganizing and loading our camper to get on the road Wednesday for So Cal. We'll be at Carpinteria SB for Christmas.
We're on the road now at least through April as our house is rented out. However we are leaning towards staying on the road beyond that and heading up the Coast. We'd really like to check out the Oregon Coast and MTBing as well as Washington State and BC!
www.pedaladventures.com

Attachments

• LR_snow.jpg
    LR_snow.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 15

rcharrette

Adventurer
Finishing Costa Rica and onto California.

Well, we finished up our month in Costa Rica and had a great time! Here is a blog post for the end of the trip: http://pedaladventures.com/costa-rica-part-2/
I also put together a video of some highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UplXXJlu8a8

We made it home to Colorado and were welcomed with very cold temps and lot's of snow. We spent 4 days there reorganizing things and packing our camper in preparation to get on the road to California. We left on Tuesday, drove 11 hrs and covered just over 600 miles. Spent the night in Prime, NV and then continued onto Ventura the next day. We'll be in So Cal Surfing and cycling for the next few months then will travel up the Coast towards BC around April. Really looking forward to the Oregon Coast and MTBing but that's still a few months off. For now we'll enjoy it here!

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Welcome back to the cold! Hope you guys enjoyed your time in Costa Rica. Look forward to your adventures.

hmmar

Observer
I want to share with all of you guys now I have to go Costa Rica for having fun with my friends. So now I like to say that it's a great place or attraction in the USA for enjoyment and good time spending point of view. I hope so I will good time and remarkable time there and come back with smiley faces or memorable moments from there. So excited both of us for Costa Rica tour..... :D

rcintx

Adventurer
I would love to take an extended trip with my family. I believe you are teaching some very valuable "life and culture" to your children. I am being nosey here. Do you work from the road? Or is this an early installment in retirement? Either way, good for you!

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi rcintx, my wife worked at IBM for 15 years developing e-learning courses. For the last 3 years she was there her job went remote (no office). This allowed us to be anywhere as long as she had reliable internet. When she was laid off several years ago she went off on her own and now takes only contract work that is remote. I home school our 11 year old and keep our 2 year old occupied.
She could be in an office in Silicon Valley easily making WAY more money than current but we made a life decision to focus more on travels and family than money. We're not rich but make enough to support this lifestyle and we are comfortable.
Also, check out our travel blog- pedaladventures.com

Last edited:

rcintx

Adventurer
That makes sense. I am in IT myself and see quite a few folks working remotely these days. Unfortunately, I am in the part of IT (data center management) that I need to be onsite most days. I will definitely take a look at your blog I just started one of my own and really enjoy looking at others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles