Overhang Question

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am looking at an older palomino slide in camper tomorrow morning. It will do double duty (if it all works out) and sometimes ride in the bed of my wife's Toyota Tacoma DC and sometimes ride in my Bantam trailer, behind my jeep. It fits in the Bantam just fine.

In the Tacoma, the rear end of the camper will sit 7" or so beyond the lowered tailgate. Is this acceptable from a safety standpoint? Seem I remember seeing plenty of slide in campers that extend beyond the rear of the truck, but thought I would ask.

eblau

Adventurer
Overhang should be fine but I would check two things:

1: older wood framed pop up truck campers are prone to rot, especially on the east coast. Search every crack and crevice of that thing and make sure the cabover and jack points aren't rotted. Some are more brave than others and take on trying to salvage an older rotted camper, spend your money wisely and get the best example you can find within your budget.

2: some of these older wood framed pop up truck campers weigh a lot, even more when loaded with gear you might want to consider airbags or beefed up leafs for your taco

I am looking at an older palomino slide in camper tomorrow morning. It will do double duty (if it all works out) and sometimes ride in the bed of my wife's Toyota Tacoma DC and sometimes ride in my Bantam trailer, behind my jeep. It fits in the Bantam just fine.

In the Tacoma, the rear end of the camper will sit 7" or so beyond the lowered tailgate. Is this acceptable from a safety standpoint? Seem I remember seeing plenty of slide in campers that extend beyond the rear of the truck, but thought I would ask.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The camper's probably stronger than a typical Toyota bumper. You might just be safer yet.
I'd worry more about the emergency handling and braking with the truck.

rotti

Adventurer
I'd worry more about the emergency handling and braking with the truck.

I'm guessing that camper weighs more than your max payload capacity, add people, gear and wet you'll be way over. I'm also guessing that your COG will be way behind your rear axle. A bad combo.

Palomino campers don't have the best reputation. I looked at some new ones back when I bought my FWC and I actually walked away laughing at the fit and finish. Just a heads up....good luck.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
7" past the lowered tailgate is a long overhang. Lots of people put FWC Eagles and Fleets on Tacoma long beds, but they just extend 9" past where the inside of the tailgate would be if it were closed.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I can't think of which user it was, but they had a pretty long pop-up, I think a Northstar, in a 1st-gen Taco crew cab that extended quite a bit out the back and said it handled just fine.

The balance point of pop-up truck campers is usually fairly far forward, so it'll likely be better balanced than it looks. It will probably be most noticeable when trying to climb a steep hill.

Let me know how it behaves in the trailer. I'm thinking of using the 8-foot pop-up on a 4x8 trailer next year.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
7" past the open tailgate? I hope that camper has it's own brake lights. I'd also be concerned about your weight distribution.

Motafinga

Adventurer
I had a 2003 Tundra with a Palomino 8ft in a 6 foot bed so it ended right AT the end of the lowered tailgate. Camper was stated as being 1200 pounds. I'll be honest and say the truck chassis felt overwhelmed and power and brakes felt compromised. I'm sure the newer bigger Tundras are more payload capable but can't speak for a Taco although they handle even less payload I'm sure.We once pulled a super light trailer with 2 dirt bikes and the front brakes started smoking like hell going down a hill!! The brakes weren't bad just waay overwhelmed.
If I were to use a smaller truck again for a camper I'd go as small and possible and avoid the rear overhang...big time
my 2 cents

Last edited:

doctorit

Adventurer
All the above - yikes! If it's the short short-bed double cab tacoma, your COG is going to be behind the rear axle. Even before worrying about total payload (I'm sure you'll be over by 500, if not 1000#), that alone would really worry me.

>>>---WW---->

I know where there is a popup designed for TACOS, Nissans and the like. It has always been stored inside and is in A=1 condition. I was going to buy it for my F-250 but it was too small. If interested, you can call Don @ 970-824-8903. It is located in NW Colorado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior