Questions for Australian travel

ssapach

Adventurer
I hope I'm posting this in an appropriate area for what I'm about to ask, I figured this is where I would get more responses from Australians and less interruptions from others.

Long story short, I have a 1 year work/travel visa for Australia. Some of my situations at home have changed since I was granted the visa, so it's not looking like I will be there for a full year. I'm planning on at least 3 months at the moment, but things may change along the way......either forcing me to come home sooner or making me want to stay there longer.

I'm wondering what the situation is regarding non-residents buying, insuring and registering vehicles in Australia? I imagine it's mostly state dependent, but I'd like to think there are similarities. Perhaps one state is easier than any others for this type of thing?

Part of my plan was to buy something, once I landed there, and just tour around at my own pace. Motorcycle was an original thought, but one of my friends suggested something with 4 wheels, in case I meet any passengers along the way. Anything is a possibility at the moment, but perhaps neither will happen if it's too difficult for me to get insurance/registration there.

Perhaps someone might also help me out with a cell phone provider? As in, who has the better actual coverage?

I will likely have more questions as I get closer to getting there. I'm not flying out until January 10th.

I appreciate any advice or input anyone can provide! Thanks in advance!!!

Globatrol

Observer
Hi there, can't answer all of your questions but can probably help a little.

Better to buy a Western Australian registered vehicle as there is no MOT (annual inspection) requirement which can be a large problem if you require one whilst travelling or you try and sell a vehicle as it comes close to the MOT renewal date.

You will need an Australian Address - If you don't know anyone then I guess you can ask a local... We will be in your home part of the world next year so can't help there I'm afraid...

Insurance is not too difficult but as above you will need an address... Same for registration... you will have to pay a transfer fee to the government of $30 AUS for every thousand dollars that the vehicle is worth (well it was $30 - may have changed) That is in western Australia! - be careful - the registration paper that you will have says Registration and Third party liability on the form - you are NOT covered for third party damage to another vehicle with this document - you MUST obtain at least third party insurance separately... Really important...

Back packer accommodation is all over the place - in all of the Cities and Perth in the west and there are always notices from travellers needing to sell in a hurry and you can often pick up a reasonable vehicle... they are usually camper vans and cars at the lower end of the price range however so it depends on what you have to spend...

Diesel 4x4's are very popular mainly for the extended fuel range, they cost more but are also easier to sell - just a thought...

you will need to deflate your tires at some stage if your off road so you will need to buy a compressor and tire gauge - don't go without one... there are cheap ones at the major retail outlets that will do the job in the short term and save you some $ - Super Cheap is one company that has cheapies... You could buy a good one like ARB and take it home I guess...

A 75 series troopy or later is hard to beat as they are easy to get parts and easy to sell and offer the large cargo area which is great for sleeping...

It doesn't really matter what you buy if the price is right at the end of the day - any vehicle will make the trip without doubt... its about 20 to 25000km to lap Aus or a lot more if you wish to wander...

Sites such as gumtree on the web have car sales sections which are worth a browse...

Re phone companies - An Optus or Telstra prepaid Sim is easy to get - no different' from anywhere else in the world! Telstra have quite a bit better coverage than Optus outside of built up areas but tend to be a little more expensive, realistically much of Aus has no useable coverage other than in built up areas!... I use OPTUS...

You can hire a Sat Phone - really expensive! or buy one if you feel you'd like to have the safety... or a spot tracker type device or other which is a cheaper option no doubt...

You probably already know but do take plenty of water with you - between towns water can be difficult to obtain and even from the fuel stops as it's in limited supply over much of the country... You can generally drink tap water anywhere you travel - bit of common sense in remote areas needed on that one of course...Allow something like 10 litres per day for 2 people if it's hot weather - everyone has a different idea of how much water you should carry - plenty is my answer... It's as important as having enough fuel...

Thats about all that I can think of at the moment - hope it helps a little...

I'm sure others will have varying points of view to add which will be great...

All the best and enjoy - its a great place to get away from it all...

cheers - www.globatrol.com

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Looks like most of everything was covered in the last post, even though Optus is good I would say go only Telstra as they do have the monopoly of coverage in Australia and is the only phone service that works where I work :). If you are doing real remote stuff then get an epirb or Sat phone, vehicle accidents are very common in remote areas due to fatigue and wildlife. Also try to avoid driving at dusk and dawn due to the abundant wildlife.

Carry lots of water also have provisions to filter the water you find, there are some great units out that will filter alot of the nasties out.

ssapach

Adventurer
Hi there, can't answer all of your questions but can probably help a little.

Thanks for that response, sorry I just didn't want to quote all of that text again.....but you're response is helpful already!

I wasn't aware of annual inspections. What's the deal with new vehicles? Say if I were to buy a new motorcycle right from a dealer? I'm not likely able to afford a brand new car or truck for the sake of such a trip, but the type of motorcycle I would consider wouldn't be overly expensive.

If I'm getting something 4 wheeled, it would likely be a Landcruiser of some sort. Something that I can try out there, seeing as how I can't enjoy the same vehicles over here. If you say they are easier to sell after I'm done with it, that's a good bonus.

I'm curious though, are you able to simply purchase a post office box for an address for the sake of insurance and registration? Or would I still require a legal land address of some sort to get a post office mailbox? I know that's the case here, you can get a post office mailbox, but you still need to have some type of legal land description or address to associate with it.

I don't know how far off the beaten path I will be going, but in reality the suggestion of an air compressor is a good one. Water is also a point that many people like to make, which is also another reason for a vehicle larger than a motorcycle.....or at least something larger will make it easier to be prepared.

Thanks for the phone company suggestions, gives me something to at least look into before I get there. Likely that will be an easy part of my adventure once I get there though.

If I come up with any more questions, I'll add them.....at the moment, gotta get back to work!

Skennedy

Adventurer
Maybe look into the state of Victoria as well for buying a 4x4 as I don't think they require and annual inspection only a road worthy certificate when you buy the vehicle......we at least that was how it was when I was there 12 years ago,I was born and raised in Melbourne.

ssapach

Adventurer

Judging by this, Queensland looks like an easy place......as it seems the seller has to have the safety done in order to sell it. Unless I'm reading it all wrong??

Victoria looks pretty simple too....

And of course, Western Australia doesn't require annual safety.

Trouble, now, is that I'm landing in Sydney. To make life easier, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on something sooner rather than later once I arrive. Of course, a rental could do for a few days/weeks if necessary.

Sounds a lot like Canada, every province has it's rules for insuring/registering....

Nvydvr

RE residential addresses you will require a legal document stating your current address. This is usually covered by a drivers licence (for locals anyway) but this won't help you. Each state is different, but when I purchased a car interstate (i am from Tasmania, small island state below Aus) I had to go to my bank, change my address to a mate who lived there (who also had to sign a stat dec stating he knew me for X years but thats a different story), print off the statement and take back to the Transport Dep to have it changed over. Huge pain in the *** for me as I was interstate for only 3 mths for work with the intention of bringing the car back home. So in short you need to figure a way of getting a legal document with an Australian address on it. Perhaps see what a AUS bank requires as proof of residential address and start from there.

Here in Tasmania we don't have annual inspection requirement or the need for road worthy inspections to buy or sell a car so this could be an option. You could consider flying into here, purchasing as you see fit (using a tasmanian residential address) using TAS rego and travel where you please. You don't have to switch the rego over from state to state when traveling, only when you stay in one state for 3 or more months (if they catch you). Only issue with this is that the resale value would be less if you sold it in a different state rather than where you purchased it from. People know its a pain & $$ to change rego over from state to state.

Hope this helps.

PS: Tasmania is one of the most natural untouched and green states in AUS and worth a visit, but most forget us down here. ;)

4wd26

for vehicle options, you could search "backpacker vehicle"
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-city/cars-vans-utes/1999-toyota-landcruiser-100-series-equipped-backpacker-van-4wd/1096542271

stuff like this exists where people sell up the whole kit to the next backpacker- only linked this because you mentioned Landcruiser petrol version that likes $$$ fuel around 20l/100km loaded- but similar vehicles exist in Pajeros or 4x4 vans
take your pick

you are correct regarding QLD- the seller must obtain a safety certificate on sale- so you have a sort of protection, and then the vehicle does not need to be inspected again until the next sale.

due to only being in the country 3 months (maybe more) I wouldn't get too carried away with where the vehicle is or registered

ssapach

Adventurer
That Gumtree website is pretty handy to snoop through! I'm eyeing up vehicles more along the lines of this though:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mulgoa/cars-vans-utes/toyota-landcruiser/1096719772

You know, you always want what you can't have. I don't have easy access to something like this at home, so I want to try one out. Of course, I'll probably get told that it will be a rough and uncomfortable ride for cross country touring. The short story, there are some interesting vehicles in Australia that I might like to try as long as I'm there and have access to them.

I think my biggest issue will be the address though....unfortunately. It seems like it's something so simple, yet so important. I suppose it would be no different for anyone coming here for the same thing.

PS: Tasmania is one of the most natural untouched and green states in AUS and worth a visit, but most forget us down here. ;)

I fully intend to make my way to Tasmania as well! I'm not going to the other side of the planet without seeing as much of the country as I can.......not to mention, untouched and forgotten sounds like my kind of place!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I fully intend to make my way to Tasmania as well! I'm not going to the other side of the planet without seeing as much of the country as I can.......not to mention, untouched and forgotten sounds like my kind of place!

No one has really mentioned the time of year you are arriving.......wet season right across the north and peak heat outback. This trip, I'd be starting no higher than Fraser Island then head south down the East Coast, ferry over to Tassie and maybe head across the Nullabor to the Southern parts of WA ..... definitely come back another day in the mid year and do Cape York, Top End and get in a desert trip or two and maybe even see some of the Kimberlies and down the West Coast.
So buy your car in Queensland and sell in WA. Vehicles are can be comparatively cheap in Queensland but it maybe worth contacting Queensland Transport regarding foreigners registering vehicles in this state to be clear.
You will probably think Australian vehicles (especially bikes) are expensive compared to what you are used to but the exchange rate is very much in your favour at the moment......You mentioned your preference for bike travel earlier.... it's a shame you couldn't pre-arrange the sale of an American bike, ship it here and hand it over after your trip. That'd be neat. Import laws here raise another batch of questions....anyway good luck with your planning.

Last edited:

leejj09

Having lived in Perth since day dot I think that you would be surprised by the price of things over here. WA is a mining state (until recently at least but thats a different topic...) and so is expensive by Australian standards, and VERY expensive by USA standards (have never been to Canada so I don't know the cost of items there but I would hedge a bet that as a Canadian you have been to the USA). It is frequent to trawl a website such as gumtree and see considerable price differences between West and East for cars etc (couple $1000 usually), this is also the same for other items ($5 coffee in Perth vs $2.5 in Melbourne etc etc blah blah) and lastly for accomodation.

This could work in your favour though, as buying something in Queensland and then selling in WA could potentially get you some extra $$ but also think of the cost of the flight back (there are occasional bargains to be had). However, buying interstate requires the new owner to take a car over the 'pits' (mechanical inspection) and this is possibly the worst thing a buyer of an old car could face if the car isn't in good condition (have heard stories of cars failing inspection as the glove box latch was broken, the engine was too dirty etc)

If you are going for an extended period I would recommend getting something that you can sleep in/on/next to easily enough when out of the cities as accomodation can blow you out of the water (think a $30-50 for a patch of dirt in a caravan park in popular country towns and a hundred or so for a hotel room if pickings are slim..). If you are in the country and have a swag, pull up somewhere discrete as you most likely won't be bothered. Play the lost tourist if the police unfortunately rock up (free camping is not technically legal in a lot of places but rangers/police vary in their nicety). In a city something such as a troop carrier with tinted back windows would be superb as you could pull up on any street nearly without a bother.

Steer clear of a petrol 4x4 or something thats obviously thirsty (V8 troopy etc) as fuel can get expensive in remote places ($2-3/Ltr or more).

Best bet, buy a backpacker van or the like as there are always heaps for sale and will normally come with a fair bit of gear thats no longer needed.

Spore

I wouldn't be too concerned about an address. I've stayed in hostels and used their address' for everything from bank details to insurance.

Getting away from buying, there is the option of renting a decked out van. Saves a lot of hassle involved with buying.
http://www.wickedcampers.com.au
http://www.jucy.com.au/

Good luck with the trip. If you do make it up Brisbane way let me know I'd be happy to show you some good spots!

ssapach

Adventurer
No one has really mentioned the time of year you are arriving.......wet season right across the north and peak heat outback. This trip, I'd be starting no higher than Fraser Island then head south down the East Coast, ferry over to Tassie and maybe head across the Nullabor to the Southern parts of WA ..... definitely come back another day in the mid year and do Cape York, Top End and get in a desert trip or two and maybe even see some of the Kimberlies and down the West Coast.
So buy your car in Queensland and sell in WA. Vehicles are can be comparatively cheap in Queensland but it maybe worth contacting Queensland Transport regarding foreigners registering vehicles in this state to be clear.
You will probably think Australian vehicles (especially bikes) are expensive compared to what you are used to but the exchange rate is very much in your favour at the moment......You mentioned your preference for bike travel earlier.... it's a shame you couldn't pre-arrange the sale of an American bike, ship it here and hand it over after your trip. That'd be neat. Import laws here raise another batch of questions....anyway good luck with your planning.

I'd like the think the weather wouldn't stop me too much, but I might be biting my tongue on that one later. Unfortunately, as it stands now, I have limited time and only a particular time I can be there. If the weather prevents me from travelling certain places, so be it. I'm not going to try to push my luck like an Everest expedition, but I'd still like to see as much as I can with my time there. My friend here tells me this is another pro for getting a car/truck/van vs. a motorcycle, that I can sleep in the cab and it won't be as bothersome to drive in the rain.

Having lived in Perth since day dot I think that you would be surprised by the price of things over here. WA is a mining state (until recently at least but thats a different topic...) and so is expensive by Australian standards, and VERY expensive by USA standards (have never been to Canada so I don't know the cost of items there but I would hedge a bet that as a Canadian you have been to the USA). It is frequent to trawl a website such as gumtree and see considerable price differences between West and East for cars etc (couple $1000 usually), this is also the same for other items ($5 coffee in Perth vs $2.5 in Melbourne etc etc blah blah) and lastly for accomodation.

Western Australia sounds similar to Alberta, certain things are pricier than the rest of the country due to the work in the area.....although that is changing rather quickly. Not unheard of for people to pay $300/night for hotels in busy cities. I stayed in a quite fancy hotel in Vegas one night, and it was less than an "average" hotel room in Fort McMurray, even after exchange was considered.

I think Canada is about midway between prices in USA vs. Australia, perhaps favouring the more expensive side like Australia. I think fuel might be my biggest shocker, so I do take it seriously when everyone mentions trying to find a diesel burner to help save costs......I think it was also mentioned that it would help resale as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about an address. I've stayed in hostels and used their address' for everything from bank details to insurance.

Getting away from buying, there is the option of renting a decked out van. Saves a lot of hassle involved with buying.
http://www.wickedcampers.com.au
http://www.jucy.com.au/

Good luck with the trip. If you do make it up Brisbane way let me know I'd be happy to show you some good spots!

Never thought about using a hostel's address.....that just may work.

I'll have a browse on those sites when I get a chance, just been busy with moving and work lately......end of the year, trying to get a job wrapped up and all my stuff in order before I head south.

I'm always willing to meet up for coffee or drinks along the way as well, and I intend to make it out to Brisbane area as I hope to be able to circle the entire country.

Just let me know something else (and this is directed at anyone/everyone): is there anything from Canada that people in Australia would love as gifts? My friend told me to take ice wine, my friends in Florida love maple syrup, and I've even had someone ask about fur products (I think they may have been joking a bit). So, provided I have room in my luggage, I have no problems taking things with me......also providing there are no legal issues either.

Again, thanks for everyone's input so far. Try to bear with me if I miss addressing anyone's questions or suggestions. The bonus to having a thread going, is that I can check up on it while on the move (hopefully) and ask further questions along the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier