10 day off-road to Etosha National Park - Namibia

bgs

Greetings! Just landed in Europe from USA to complete first leg of a trip to Namibia. Work takes me to Namibia and when that is done in a few days, I'm taking the opportunity to hire a Hilux 4x4 with a roof top tent and explore Namibia for about 10 days. The plan is to drive from Walvis Bay to Etosha and back mostly off-road, touching pavement only if/when there is no other choice.

Accommodation will be a combination of lodges and camping in the Hilux. My goal (other than to return alive) is to take routes with the best chance to see herds of desert adapted elephants on the way to and from Etosha. However, since it's now rainy season there, I'm a little concerned about condition of the roads and my traveling companion readily admits she will be useless at pushing while I'm in the drivers seat. Another goal, with any luck, is to get some decent photos of wildlife and panoramic scenery images.

I will try and post images and updates of the expedition when possible. Anyone with local knowledge please know any advice and recommendations are very much welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

BGS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kpredator

Adventurer
etosha

hello bgs

we have been to etosha in may,june and july.the game viewing in july was fantastic. December depends on the rains.it will still be great.
the roads are very good if dry.fuel can be bought in the park.food is very limited in the park stores.

we had good sightings at okondeka,olifantsbad water holes near okauejo camp.
goas,nuamses waterholes near halali camp.
klien namutoni,chudob waterholes near namutoni camp.

we drive early in the morning and sit on waterholes during midday.

keep a clean camp as there are honey badgers,maybe jackals in camp at night.

go on a night gamedrive and ask the rangers about kill locations

would visit sossuvlei dunes.
namib park camp at mirabib campsite if possible
whitelady rock art

not sure if I only had 10 days I would spend much time looking for the desert elephants.

if your really into wildlife head to etosha and spend your time there.

be aware of flash flooding,can be sunny with blue skies and it rained 25 miles away and its headed your way.

no matter what you choose to do.it will be great.

have fun

kevin

bgs

hello bgs

we have been to etosha in may,june and july.the game viewing in july was fantastic. December depends on the rains.it will still be great.
the roads are very good if dry.fuel can be bought in the park.food is very limited in the park stores.

we had good.....

kevin

Thanks so much Kevin....really appreciate your advise....well noted.

Rgds,

Brian

bgs

When approaching the airport arriving in Namibia we were able to get a great view of the Namibian Desert up to the north - where we knew would be going. The view from the plane made for an exciting arrival in Namibia. The excitement was temporarily diminished when our connecting flight was delayed by about 8 hrs. But finally we were off again and landed in Walvis Bay where we picked up our rented Hilux with RTT and camping supplies (with many supposedly supplied items missing or at least I can't find them). First night camping was great, where we arrived kind of late at the camp, and ended up sharing the site with a couple donkeys which joined us later. Before I knew they were donkeys (hearing noises from the tent) my adrenaline was spiking from hearing animals so close to the tent . The Night sky was darks and full of stars with Orion prominent and the two Magellanic Clouds very bright in the sky - a sure sign we were in the Southern Hemisphere now :)
In the morning we searched for desert adapted elephants. We saw plenty of elephant tracks and elephant droppings in the (now dry and sandy) riverbed - so they were in the area not too long ago. I was very nervous trying to balance keeping up speed and momentum to not get stuck in the sand, with potentially turning a corner and surprising a herd of elephants going too fast. Fortunately the deep sand was the exception, but I was happy I aired down to 1.5 bar earlier or I am sure I wouldn't have made it through some of the deeper sections. It wouldn't have been good getting stuck in that situation, not to mention being all alone. Later we found a local guide who confirmed good news - elephants are in the area and we will try again with his updates on their latest movements. He estimates we have about a 50/50 chance of seeing them, as they are starting to move north for the rainy season. Loving Namibia so far. Will post updates and photos when I have wifi next.....

bgs

We hit the jackpot with finding elephants in the riverbed. We came across a big male and separately a baby elephant with its mother. We were told not to leave the car because of cats in the area (lions). Saw some lion footprints but no lions. Next chance for lions is Etosha. Photo of the male is below - hope this upload works and enjoy...

_DSC0797-2.jpg

bgs

Made it to Etosha - got some great close up views of more elephants, lions, white rhinos, giraffes, and even a lion kill/feeding. We did Etosha with a guide and open bakkie vehicle with seats. We also visited a private reserve that didn't allow self drive but guided in open Land Cruiser bakkies. Great for photography. What an introduction to Namibia - will try post some more images hopefully later today.

bgs

Lucky for us and not the animals the rainy season is over 5 weeks late in Etosha. As a result, roads were dry and animals were still congregating at drying water holes to drink - allowing us to have incredible viewing.

Hi pawleyk, we took a very similar route to you, nut cut in from the last sooner than Cape Cross.

Here are some photos from and on way to Etosha ..... hope you like ......

_DSC1753.jpg

_DSC1872.jpg

_DSC1111.jpg

_DSC1988.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke