Carl's Jeep Mod Thread

CLynn85

Explorer
Since everyone seems to be doing it, and summer's rolling around and mods are picking up again...

Here's my 98 Jeep Sport. One year since I bought it is coming up next month and I can't believe how much it's changed since I bought it.

Here's the rundown:

Engine: 4.0
Front Axle: D30
Rear Axle: D35
Tires: 31x10.50 Kumho M/T

Additional Modifications:
3" Rusty's Springs
8000lb Winch
Hella 500 Lights
Custom Home-built Rock Rails
Midland CB
XM Radio and GPS Mounts
800 Watt AC/DC Inverter
Hi-Lift
Hitch
Lots of bumps, bruises, and wilderness pinstriping

Currently I'm changing the overall configuration of it. I love the open top feeling but have storage issues. There's no enclosed areas other than the console/glovebox when I'm topless/doorless. So All the back seat hardware's gone and I'm installing a bulkhead across the front of the cargo area. In addition I want to make a hard cover for the rear portion that will hinge up. This will allow for weathertight security. In addition I want to mount a cargo basket on top of it so that I don't lose all the space I'd have within an enclosed top and possibly make better use of it. I also really dig the look of the half cab and tonneau on back...

This weekend I stripped the back out and removed the seats and console and applied plasticote roll-on bedliner. It came out to my satisfaction, only time will tell how it holds up. Line-x wanted $600 to do it if I stripped it and brought it in with only a drivers seat in it. No-go on my budget... so I'm perfectly happy with how my $60 investment came out at 10% of the cost.

Attachments

• DSC02567 (Large).JPG
    DSC02567 (Large).JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02603 (Large).JPG
    DSC02603 (Large).JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02609 (Large).JPG
    DSC02609 (Large).JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02607 (Large).JPG
    DSC02607 (Large).JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 56

CLynn85

Explorer
I don't know how mine will hold up. I only put about 2 and a half coats on (3rd coat only in high-traffic areas) due to time constraints when I was doing it. I may go back later and put another coat or two over top of it depending on how it wears.

The other thing I need to address is the axles. I'm always worried about blowing the D35c rear whenever I find myself in rocks, and lately the pinion seal has started leaking. I don't think I'll ever go over 33" tires but I want something that I can trust to not let me down and something that can take the stress of having a locker in it. I was thinking an 8.8 ford but they've gotten really hard to come by. I've been looking for one for my mustang but to no avail. D44's seem to be even harder to find. Any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles