Alternative to locking diff...brake lock diff

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I agree that this is traction control. My F150 does similar. My 2008 Wrangler went further stock than I would have predicted, but using the brakes to stop a spinning wheel is a waste of resources like time, energy, and puts the vehicle at risk as it is, waiting for inertia to gain, then spending effort to stop it. My old CJ 7 with 4 Detroit lockers was entirely different in trail situations. It was so relaxed, and I barely needed throttle.
Traction control-great for icy roads.
Real lockers- more appropriate on the trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Where in the world did you have 4 Detroit lockers in one vehicle?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Ian, I bet they have sold them all by the time I'm back in the UK! But, when I am a flight over will be easy. It's just figuring out what to do with it after that, how to get it back, storage etc. I'm sure I could figure something out it one came up though!

If they have all gone, it's the Renault trm2000 route!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Two auction houses offload them on behalf of the ESB:
http://www.hanleysales.com/ and
http://www.irishcarauctions.ie/

Neither are particularly good at posting on their websites and I've never seen auction results posted!. You can ring them and they'll SMS you when the ESB auctions are coming up. The last one (Irishcaraustions.ie) was 12 Nov so it will be a few months until the next.

They still have some (> 20) Varios in the fleet and I know they recently made a bulk purchase of MAN 4x4 trucks. So I'd expect to see more coming up.

Anton - Regarding getting it back to the UK.... Eh! drive it ?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Ian, yea I think that would be the plan ultimately, but need to find somewhere to store it in the UK too. Do you still keep your finger on the pulse with these auctions? After coming so close to getting one back in 2012 with your help, I'm still wanting one! Unfortunately i'll be travelling quite a lot with my new job, but hopefully the stars will align at some point. If you do still keep up with the auctions, would you mind PMing me when you hear something? I'll also try to sign up for the SMS thing.

Ta

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I can see a new business in this for me :)

I will post or PM when I hear about the next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94