New Subaru Outback or Explorer?

BlackdogGS

Observer
We are car shopping and were considering an Explorer or Subaru. We looked at but did not drive the Explorer and really liked it, we have owned Fords for over 35 years. We're very comfortable with Ford, gas and tires have been our only expenses, never had one in the shop for and reason.

I looked at the Subaru last night and liked it. I like the size of the Explorer better but hey, the Outback is $10,000 less. After I got home I researched it on the Internet and was surprised by the amount of issues this car has. The problem I'm most concerned with is the oil consumption. Do any of you know if this issue has been resolved? If so are the 2015-2016 models ok?

At this point I'm still researching.

Thanks!

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
There is no oil consumption issue in the 15+
there are very isolated instances

it was a big issue in the 10-14 but no real reports except for a few people on forums. It is a 1qt acceptable consumption between oil chances.
Past that, i own, wheel, and have extensively modified my 2015 outback with zero issues.

I also have a 500$ coupon if you are buying very soon i can send you

tarditi

Explorer
I had a Subaru WRX and they are a great brand. I've had checkered experience with Fords, but the new Explorer looks nice (treat it as a crossover, not a body-on-frame SUV).

We're in the market ourselves, and considering the Outback or Forester to replace my wife's 2WD GMC Acadia.
We like the smaller size, all-weather capability, and fuss-free interior of the Subarus, but they still have the comfortable amenities.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There is no oil consumption issue in the 15+
there are very isolated instances

it was a big issue in the 10-14 but no real reports except for a few people on forums. It is a 1qt acceptable consumption between oil chances.
Past that, i own, wheel, and have extensively modified my 2015 outback with zero issues.

I also have a 500$ coupon if you are buying very soon i can send you

2010-12 was the old 2.5 no oil use history with that engine. The 3.6 either. The 2013 new ground up 2.5s had some teething issues and oil consumption numbers. If you need load hauling ability go Ford. If its just you and a passenger or two the 2015+ Subarus are fine.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
They're using 0w20 oil, there will always be oil consumption issues. As long as the consumption falls under Subaru's "normal consumption" amount, nobody seems to care.

camodog

Adventurer
I thought the op was my brother at first. He too is cross shopping an outback and explorer. I didn't see the highlander coming though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94