2004 Powerstroke Excursion 6.0 Must do mods?

Pangle

Wanderer
Hello all, I just today picked up my 2004 Xcursion with 145k which I will be converting into a mini camper/overlander. I just recently sold my 2001 7.3 E350 Quig after a nice long cross country exploration trip which I blogged about on here "NO Plan is the Plan" check it out. Anyway after selling (Van Diesel) I was in a deep state of depression not having any projects and was spending hours and hours on the portal and CL looking for what would be my next project. I have always wanted a Diesel Excursion and was able to find one on a local auction site, which was formerly a Fire Chief command unit. Now I am a Ford guy and I have always liked the PSD. I also have a 1996 OBS CCSB with 91k and the 7.3. Van was also a 7.3... this is my first 6.0 and I was reluctant. That being said I would like to know from all of you out there with 6.0 / excursion experience.... What are the must do mods for the Excursion and the 6.0 without breaking the budget. My X was a fleet maintained vehicle and runs and drives very nice. It does not smoke, it starts fine, and most likely it was maintained well, and properly. I am thinking I would like to do the F250 spring upgrade in the front Prob V code? with some 5100 bilsteins. I am also considering a tuner either SCT or DP both of which seem to be the best most reliable. I do NOT think my X has been "bulletproofed" but it is my understanding that some of the issues of the 6.0 arise from lack of Maintenance which I do not feel this unit had.

Any and all help/advice would be great. I will prob be doing a build thread also, HOWEVER... it will not be nearly as AWESOME as some of the BUILDS i have seen on here. I like to "use what i have" lying around the house/shop to make the vehicle what I want it to be. So it will not have marble tops, and hot water heaters, and floating sconces to light the interior. It will have a sleeping plat form and other things that make it functional for me.

Let me know what you think! also check out my last journey and feel free to comment. "NO PLAN IS THE PLAN"

BEST,

STEVE
IMG_3295.jpgIMG_3296.jpgIMG_3297.jpgIMG_3293.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
We are loving our 6.0, it's positively purring lately as we are 1 month into our full timing - we did invest in the full bulletproofing but that's really because we had the budget and it is likely to be our home for the next couple of years.

If I was really on a budget I'd get a good monitor, I like my SCT since it's very customizable and I can look at a lot of engine parameters all at once on the main monitoring screen. I'd get a coolant filter since if you don't have one then your oil cooler is basically acting as a very pricey coolant filter. Watch your oil and coolant temperatures, use quality oil and a good oil additive, I've had good luck with both the Rev-X and the Archoil brands - when I bought the truck it had some cold weather stutter, now it's completely gone and I still have the original injectors. I can start it up now at freezing temps and drive right away without any hesitation. Averaging 12-14mpg at 12 feet tall and about 7 tons rolling, I can deal with that :)

I'll always wonder if the bulletproofing was worth it since so many guys run these stock and take care of them right and have no issues. But no regrets here - nice Excursion!

Pangle

Wanderer
Hey Workerdrone... I am totally with ya on going the route of bulletproofing, being that your living full time, I would have too. What are you guys traveling in? I would love to know more about your journeys, do you have a blog going? I will def look into the coolant filter. Have you ever used (hot shot secret sticktion eliminator)? I know it currently just had an oil change and its in good shape but its had been sitting for about a month and I was thinking of running a cycle of it....Also thats kinda one of my main questions, to leave it stock and just run it, or go ahead and get a tuner?

We are loving our 6.0, it's positively purring lately as we are 1 month into our full timing - we did invest in the full bulletproofing but that's really because we had the budget and it is likely to be our home for the next couple of years.

If I was really on a budget I'd get a good monitor, I like my SCT since it's very customizable and I can look at a lot of engine parameters all at once on the main monitoring screen. I'd get a coolant filter since if you don't have one then your oil cooler is basically acting as a very pricey coolant filter. Watch your oil and coolant temperatures, use quality oil and a good oil additive, I've had good luck with both the Rev-X and the Archoil brands - when I bought the truck it had some cold weather stutter, now it's completely gone and I still have the original injectors. I can start it up now at freezing temps and drive right away without any hesitation. Averaging 12-14mpg at 12 feet tall and about 7 tons rolling, I can deal with that :)

I'll always wonder if the bulletproofing was worth it since so many guys run these stock and take care of them right and have no issues. But no regrets here - nice Excursion!

Roudy

Observer
Subscribed!
Check out powerstrokehelp.com there's some great informational videos on that site. Also look into Archoil.com like Workerdrone mentioned. Jay Leno's garage uses the stuff. I'm about to start running the fuel treatment.
I'm running a Bully Dog programmer which you can set up to de-fuel when certain thresholds are reached. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a Banks unit. It's more conservative and Gale Banks is a diesel guru.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
A 6.0 is a great running engine, which will turn into a black hole of money when something goes south. A tuner and a stock 6.0 is a bad combination and I can tell you from experience it most likely will not end well. The head studs are not up to the task of a tuner and will let you down. Generally at the worst possible time. I've had two. The first one went south in single lane road construction in the middle of Pennsylvania with a 38' fifth wheel camper behind it, and the PA DOT was not incredibly happy about that. After a wasted $4000 trip to a Ford service dept I took it to Powerstroke Help down in Georgia and it was a beast till the day it got sold. ARP studs, rebuilt o-ringed heads, EGR delete and no more of the usual 6.0 troubles. The 2nd one hadn't been tuned as far as I know, but shortly after I bought it a head started seeping so rather than wait for failure it went back down to powerstroke and it's still running strong.

Unfortunately there is little in the way of repair work on the 6.0 that doesnt get expensive, and fast. Same with the 6.4. I've had that as well. A failed high pressure fuel pump (sounds tame right) set me back almost $8k, and that was slightly more than half the bill it would have been at the Ford garage.

My opinion of the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7? Unless you are towing big and doing it a LOT, the modern diesel is not worth the buy in and potential repair costs. There is little you are going to do with an Excursion that requires the grunt of the 6.0. Unless I were going to take a big bath, I'd unload it and go for the V10 version. Reliable, plenty powerful enough for the average Joe, and no where near as expensive to repair. I've had that combo as well. If you really REALLY have to have a diesel and want it in an Excursion I'd look for an '03 back and get one with the 7.3, but be forewarned, people think that combo is gold plated.

Anyway, that's a cliff notes version of my experience with modern Ford diesels.

Roudy

Observer
I don't want to jinx myself but I've got almost 130k on my 05' 60 with no major disasters, original owner. I did have to replace some injectors a few years back and did an egr delete at that time. I've got a Banks exhaust and air box too maybe all that helps avoid the head gasket problem. I tow 6 to 12k pounds about four times a week but I always put the programmer on stock and drive like grampa. It tows great as is but I'm doing the X code b code spring mod next to help towing capacity and add a couple inches.

Pangle

Wanderer
Whats up Guys! Thanks for the comments... So basically it looks like Ill either use the keep it stock, maintain it well, drive like a grandma and hope... Or Spend a lot of coin and go all in! I am thinking of doing the X or V codes and I just ordered some Archoil, I figured id give it a shot. I mean if its good enough for Jay!

Started tearing the Ex down yesterday, removing some of the interior boxes and clean up.

Thanks guys keep the advice coming.

thethePete

Explorer
One thing you can do for the sake of the motor, regardless of whether youre leaving it stock or not, and please do this... The *blue spring mod* its a very easy to install spring that goes in the fuel bowl and increases your fuel pressure. There is almost no headroom with the stock fuel pressure, Its somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50psi, and anything under 45psi is catastrophic to the injectors. The blue spring increases the fuel pressure to 65psi, and has absolutely no negative effects. Doesnt effect fuel economy negatively, helps start up in my experience, and just gives you a little more safety room for long hauls up hills, or big loads. I have fixed more than a few 6.0s that killed their injectors from fuel starvation. It overheats the tip and forces combustion gasses past the (freshly melted) sealing washer and into the fuel system. The spring costs less than $100.

This is the kit, it comes with new sealing o-rings and the spring. It is very straightforward to install, there are some small parts and youll get diesel on your hands, but I would say it is achievable by someone capable of changing their spark plugs in a gas motor.

Part number: 1854267C94

EMrider

Explorer
O
Whats up Guys! Thanks for the comments... So basically it looks like Ill either use the keep it stock, maintain it well, drive like a grandma and hope... Or Spend a lot of coin and go all in! I am thinking of doing the X or V codes and I just ordered some Archoil, I figured id give it a shot. I mean if its good enough for Jay!

Started tearing the Ex down yesterday, removing some of the interior boxes and clean up.

Thanks guys keep the advice coming.

Congrats on the new Excursion.

Virtually all of my research and (admittedly limited) experience differs on one point from your gameplan. Do not baby the 6.0. Problems arise when owners slap on tunes to boost power, but the motor needs to be driven hard and often to minimize carbon accumulation. A good fuel additive also helps.

My 6.0 has 125k and is bone stock. Zero trouble of any sort and by a wide margin the most reliable vehicle I have owned.

Perhaps I am just lucky? Maybe. But I always run the motor at full throttle on every outing at least once and have used Amsoil fuel additive in every tankful.

Good luck

R

drewactual

Adventurer
+1000 on the blue spring...

I'd also strongly consider a CCV mod... cheap.. easy... solves several issues.

I'd stay away from Bill Hewitt and "Powerstroke Help".... He's dangerous, and your truck will soon hate you.

+3 on the archoil 9100. great stuff!

+1000 on the coolant filter- one up this and say FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH with water, introduce restore (cummins fleetrite product) and FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH the stuff with water.. this breaks down the 'skin' of the coolant, which is intended to adhere to hard parts for protection. Then introduce Restore+, which attacks scale.... FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH following the letter of the procedure and getting to at least 180* for at least an hour (heat activated on both products)... then FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH with water X 10... then, introduce distilled water to the tune of no less than 12 qts while it drains out the other end... then add CAT EC-1 ELC coolant (red) CONCENTRATE to the tune of three gallons- then top with distilled... introduce a coolant filter as noted, and you and your engine are set for the life of your relationship. You may as well install new thermostats at the same time... this is an ALL DAY process to do it right... it takes no less than 8 solid hours... this is better than any machine and ensures it is properly flushed and cleaned, and replaced. Your oil cooler will appreciate it grandly.

STAY AWAY FROM BANKS... STAY AWAY FROM BULLY DOG... the only safe tunes/strategies are H&S, SCT, and Spartan... and if you run those YOU NEED HEAD STUDS...

I pulled up at the fill station a few months back, and beside me pulls a cherry 6.0, all stock... he introduced himself and we started talking... his rig had over 300k on it, all his miles. He maintained it and didn't beat on it, kept it clean as a whistle and it had NEVER let him down. These things are like that... the issues snowball quickly if left unattended, and messing with things is a sure way to find faults. Tuning is both good and bad- an issue will show itself MUCH quicker when tuned than it will with the lethargic OE tune, which has wide parameters on known weak area's.

Good find!!! Get it bulletproofed and take care of it, and it will take care of you. Personally, i don't like the HEUI injectors at all... I prefer the pieziometric of the next generation... make sure the fuel is always present and the oil of great quality and changed on a strict interval (monitoring in between)... You'll find the HEUI injectors will shear 40 weight to 30 weight no matter what- they are tough on oil... that's where the magic of archoil comes in. It will still shear, but the injectors won't have stichion.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Hey, we're in a 2003 F550 4wd with the ZF6 stick shift.

No blog yet, been struggling with whether it would be worth my time to do one properly, I know it will be a lot of work - so far we've just been updating friends and family on FB since it's so easy. Might start a thread here on Expo, but again, lots of work to do a nice one and update regularly plus we don't have a wealth of bandwidth lately :) I'm a photographer so it would be picture heavy.

My friend who has forgotten more about motors than I will ever know told me that these Fords are great trucks, but they don't like to sit - they need to be worked. Fulltiming with a couple of tons in the bed should help us there :) I'd be well inclined to believe the people that say once things start to go south, it gets expensive fast - but it was the same thing with the previous two diesels I've owned - WV Jetta TDI's - if you keep on top of things they are very economical and long lasting. It's the people that don't recognize new noises or behavior and let problems stack up that are doing the most howling about how awful the design is or how expensive repairs are :) Mine were both awesome reliable fun cars that got over 50mpg on the highway, and both were tuned to well above stock power. I'm running the mildest tune on the SCT for our Powerstroke.

Hey Workerdrone... I am totally with ya on going the route of bulletproofing, being that your living full time, I would have too. What are you guys traveling in? I would love to know more about your journeys, do you have a blog going? I will def look into the coolant filter. Have you ever used (hot shot secret sticktion eliminator)? I know it currently just had an oil change and its in good shape but its had been sitting for about a month and I was thinking of running a cycle of it....Also thats kinda one of my main questions, to leave it stock and just run it, or go ahead and get a tuner?

Pangle

Wanderer
Awesome thanks Ill def look into it. I am pretty capable shade tree mechanic so Im sure it wont be a prob!

thanks
One thing you can do for the sake of the motor, regardless of whether youre leaving it stock or not, and please do this... The *blue spring mod* its a very easy to install spring that goes in the fuel bowl and increases your fuel pressure. There is almost no headroom with the stock fuel pressure, Its somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50psi, and anything under 45psi is catastrophic to the injectors. The blue spring increases the fuel pressure to 65psi, and has absolutely no negative effects. Doesnt effect fuel economy negatively, helps start up in my experience, and just gives you a little more safety room for long hauls up hills, or big loads. I have fixed more than a few 6.0s that killed their injectors from fuel starvation. It overheats the tip and forces combustion gasses past the (freshly melted) sealing washer and into the fuel system. The spring costs less than $100.

This is the kit, it comes with new sealing o-rings and the spring. It is very straightforward to install, there are some small parts and youll get diesel on your hands, but I would say it is achievable by someone capable of changing their spark plugs in a gas motor.

Part number: 1854267C94

Pangle

Wanderer
Awesome info DREWACTUAL I really appreciate it. IT seems like everyone is generally saying the same thing, stay on top of the issues before they arise and it should be a solid rig. I will def be looking into the mods you suggested.
+1000 on the blue spring...

I'd also strongly consider a CCV mod... cheap.. easy... solves several issues.

I'd stay away from Bill Hewitt and "Powerstroke Help".... He's dangerous, and your truck will soon hate you.

+3 on the archoil 9100. great stuff!

+1000 on the coolant filter- one up this and say FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH with water, introduce restore (cummins fleetrite product) and FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH the stuff with water.. this breaks down the 'skin' of the coolant, which is intended to adhere to hard parts for protection. Then introduce Restore+, which attacks scale.... FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH following the letter of the procedure and getting to at least 180* for at least an hour (heat activated on both products)... then FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH with water X 10... then, introduce distilled water to the tune of no less than 12 qts while it drains out the other end... then add CAT EC-1 ELC coolant (red) CONCENTRATE to the tune of three gallons- then top with distilled... introduce a coolant filter as noted, and you and your engine are set for the life of your relationship. You may as well install new thermostats at the same time... this is an ALL DAY process to do it right... it takes no less than 8 solid hours... this is better than any machine and ensures it is properly flushed and cleaned, and replaced. Your oil cooler will appreciate it grandly.

STAY AWAY FROM BANKS... STAY AWAY FROM BULLY DOG... the only safe tunes/strategies are H&S, SCT, and Spartan... and if you run those YOU NEED HEAD STUDS...

I pulled up at the fill station a few months back, and beside me pulls a cherry 6.0, all stock... he introduced himself and we started talking... his rig had over 300k on it, all his miles. He maintained it and didn't beat on it, kept it clean as a whistle and it had NEVER let him down. These things are like that... the issues snowball quickly if left unattended, and messing with things is a sure way to find faults. Tuning is both good and bad- an issue will show itself MUCH quicker when tuned than it will with the lethargic OE tune, which has wide parameters on known weak area's.

Good find!!! Get it bulletproofed and take care of it, and it will take care of you. Personally, i don't like the HEUI injectors at all... I prefer the pieziometric of the next generation... make sure the fuel is always present and the oil of great quality and changed on a strict interval (monitoring in between)... You'll find the HEUI injectors will shear 40 weight to 30 weight no matter what- they are tough on oil... that's where the magic of archoil comes in. It will still shear, but the injectors won't have stichion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles