1991 Chevy R/V3500 Crew Cab Build

mattcrouch1502

Observer
So I have a few updates, the parts gathering for the suspension is 90% complete! I also almost have the drivetrain/driveline worked out, I ended up going with a Borgwarner 4401 transfer case. This gave me a driverside drop and fixed outputs on front and rear, I did however need to swap out the rear yoke for a 1480 series. For driveshafts I am getting a pair of F550 shafts and I will have them shortened if needed. The Cummins is also back after my timing slipped and caused me to pop a head gasket... I currently have it on a cart with the transmission and transfer case bolted up.

I was also able to get the links in and bolted up so that I could start playing with axle location. my current setup will probably get moved back about 1". In the photos the axle is about 1.5ish" forward of stock location (I think) and I have a good amount of room on the cab side of the tire but very little on the core support side. I have been playing with the idea of cutting up into the core support and re-working the inner and outer fenders to allow more clearance on that side of tire. I went ahead and trimmed out a decent chunk of the lower fender "fang" as well as some of the inner fender behind it. I didn't get any good photos of it but you can see it in the side shot. I will get more photos when I start cutting the core support and cleaning it up.

I currently have the ride height set with about 5" of up travel, I might go to 6" of up travel but I am trying to keep the ride height down so we will see how that works out. With it at ride height (5" up travel) the top of the fender well is at 54" which is right about where it was with the leaf springs. I also got a free roof rack, its not a high end rack but it was free and it will work for what I want. Its not like I will be storing my spare on the roof rack anyway!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have to say that is some impresive looking suspension and drive train you have there Matt. It looks like your project is coming along nicely. That truck is going to be a beast when you get it finished. Thanks for posting up. Cheers, Chilli.... ?

mattcrouch1502

Observer
I have to say that is some impresive looking suspension and drive train you have there Matt. It looks like your project is coming along nicely. That truck is going to be a beast when you get it finished. Thanks for posting up. Cheers, Chilli.... ?

Thanks! I hope to get more stuff finished up pretty soon!

Wildcat13

Happen to know what the military numerical designation is for that box on the back? You may have already said, but I must have missed it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Happen to know what the military numerical designation is for that box on the back? You may have already said, but I must have missed it.

Does this help? I am not exactly sure what you mean by numerical designation...

Attachments

• Box specs.jpg
    Box specs.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 30

Wildcat13

I'm thinking that all military vehicles and equipment, such as this, have a numerical designation like m1008, m35a2... something like that.

mattcrouch1502

Observer
I'm thinking that all military vehicles and equipment, such as this, have a numerical designation like m1008, m35a2... something like that.

This box came on a M1031, I am not sure if they all had them or not. There is also two versions of this box, mine has the shorter front boxes, another version has front boxes that are even with the bottom of the cab (wish mine was that way..)

mattcrouch1502

Observer
I have gotten behind with my updates but here is a quick rundown. Got the caster set, the axle centered up, tacked up the panhard bar and got some cycling done. Over the 4th of July weekend I got the Cummins installed back in and built a transmission crossmember, then over the last few weeks I have been able to get some work done and it is starting to feel like I am getting closer to the end... I had to order some full 180 degree hoops to clear everything on the driver side and i had to swap out the brake master and booster to one for a 2000 C3500HD. The brake master is sized to work with the F550 axles but the square body booster wont accept the bigger master, I had to swap the cab plate over and extend the pedal push rod. I got the hoops mocked up and the engine cage mocked up, I only need to get the tubing disconnects added and then I can start burning in everything, finally!!! That brings everything up to date, on to the photos!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

mattcrouch1502

Observer
The donor truck my Cummins came from had some cheap Ebay electric fans already installed, the truck ran good and didn't get hot so I left them when I did the swap. I have always though that having something with a shroud would be better so with everything apart on the front end I decided to make a change. I got a set of 2008 Suburban electric fans and had to shorten the shroud some. I removed 1.5" from the height of the shroud and worked up some upper and lower mounts. The lower mounts are just some studs that slide into a notch in the bottom of the radiator, the upper mount bolts to the top of the shroud and then attaches to the four studs that run across the top of the radiator. Fitting in the truck is "snug" but it clears everything and the shroud has good coverage on the radiator. I had to throw the front end back on the truck to check the fans clearance and you can get a look at how I had to clearance the core support for the tires. It was motivational to see the truck "looking" complete!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Here is a update from the last several weeks, I have the truck sitting back on its own, I finalized the shock hoops, installed the limit straps, built a brace to tie the panhard bracket to the engine crossmember. I also got a little of the body work done for the fender/core support trim. I still have quite of bit small things left to finish up and a few major things like, modifying the driveshafts, getting a custom drag link made, and installing the rear shackle flip. Hope to be getting more of this knocked out in the next few weeks!

full

full

full

full

full

full

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Getting closer, still have to get the driveshafts adjusted and a drag link made, other than that it is mostly little things that are time consuming. Looks like I may have to raise the rear between 1"-2" but it is hard to tell with the slope of the concrete but I am very happy with it so far. I have a CUCV brush guard that I am going to put on, also I am opened to opinions about what to do with the bumper at the ends by where I trimmed the grill and fenders. On to the photos!

full

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne