Merc Vario - Help needed

docka

Adventurer
Hi guys
Problems with the Vario again. Cheap battery isolator has arced and now everything's dead.
No power to the starter and dash instruments, batteries ok though.
I don't think there's a main fuse from the battery or at least I can't find it?
I'm guessing a wire has burnt out somewhere. Any ideas on how to tackle this one?
Cant really tow it either as I stupidly put the handbrake on and obviously now I can't release it easily.
Thanks in advance.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey docka,

Sorry to hear about the woes. Not sure on the wiring front. Have to checked to see if there is positive feed going to the ignition switch? If there is, maybe check the relays behind the fuse box, and the fuses. Regarding the hand brake, there is actually an air valve underneath where you can attach an airline (with the correct fitting) to air the tanks up, then you could release the brake. Its in the user manual I think, but will need to get the fitting from Merc. I replaced my fitting with a standard air hose one, might be worth doing in the future!

Hope you get it sorted.

Ullie

Adventurer
You can also loosen the two nuts which connect your cables of the handbrake with the air served girder. Than you don't have any handbrake any more. We did this to get home after purchasing our vario to get home. It had stood still for a long time and the cables were rusted.

For the electrical problem, if it's a cable that had burned, the only way is to start measuring the different circuits. It can be anywhere in the cables.

docka

Adventurer
Thanks both.
Anton your plan for the air fitting is a good one, for next time.
Ullie, thanks, I'll give that a go if i need to.
However I've given in and have got an autosparks coming to look at it tomorrow as I'm just too busy and we're coping with the after effects of all the flooding in Cumbria, including housing my in-laws for the foreseeable...

docka

Adventurer
Turns out it was the starter motor which was still in mesh and going round with the flywheel and obviously the cheap battery isolator wasn't up to switching all that current. I had thought it was the brake compressor that was over-running but realise now that it's at the back, doh!

Lesson learned; don't attempt to switch high-power DC when the isolator is not up to it, could have been real nasty.

docka

Adventurer
Got a second hand starter motor and fitted it today at the roadside. Very difficult access under there lying on your back in the grime but managed it in the end.
Starts much better now and no other problems as a result of the arcing. :wings:

Off to order a battery isolator that will handle all the starting current this time!

docka

Adventurer
Cheers Anton

For future reference if you didn't know already, there is no main fuse on the battery feed, it goes directly to the starter from the battery and then onto the fusebox in the glovebox.

Happy Vario-ing chaps:)

part time nomad

Adventurer
I dont know how old your Vario is but if its a later one it will have an air operated spring brake for parking.
If you need to disable this at any time, you need to turn the nut on the end of each brake chamber anti clockwise for quite away until the threaded rod comes out and compresses the spring, thus releasing the park brake. dont forget to chock the wheels first!!!
The foot brake will still work normally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles