3/4 Ton question- DIESEL 7.3l?6.4?6.7?Duramax?Cummins? for family rid and DD

dsal_86yota

Observer
So Im considering getting a diesel, primarily a 3/4ton. Needs are 4x4, crew cab, auto and short bed. Im looking at used because I don't want a $500 plus payment like some of my co-workers who go out and buy new or year old trucks and never get them dirty. Its also gotta be family friendly. Its me, my wife, 15 month old foster daughter(maybe adopting), my healer and my lab. I hunt, fish, camp, DIY home projects, and trail ride.
I love my father in laws 2000 F350 extra cab 7.3L PSD 4x4 but its only down falls are long bed, and wife hates the way its rides(leaf spring front, doesn't bother me, grew up in old trucks and tow trucks, my 86 Yota rides better). I don't want a 6.0L PSD, to many issues and my wallet isn't that deep. I have driven different Cummins and love the ride and power but dont want to pay 25K for one over 180k miles, they sell big here cause its diesel country and living near oil rig areas and military bases, prices go up. I've caught myself even looking at Duramaxs, Ive never been a GM guy EVER, Been primarily Ford, have had a Dodge Hemi. Im just torn. Yes Id like a Superduty 7.3L but don't want something my wife will never want to ride in, and its getting hard to find ones that don't have over 200k miles. I've looked at some 6.4L and 6.7L but not sure. My buddy had a 6.7L for a little over a year and it was in the shop often. He bought brand new. He traded it for a 2015 Cummins but I don't want a $700 month payment. So need some input.
Ive thought get a 7.3L and swap on quality shocks. Also thought maybe a new PSD with coil spring front, or Cummins mega cab(Hard to find here tho) and even thought a Duramax since the IFS front rides nice. It will be my DD and I drive only 18miles round trip.

PS. Wanting Diesel because longevity of engine, and planning to get a camper eventually for family trips and long hunting trips, and old Yota may be trailered.

A couple of things to think about. I also live in Diesel Country and just purchased a new (2014 at the beginning of 2015) Ram 2500 CTD. I looked everywhere for a decent used truck and all of them had over 100k and were within $10k of my new truck. Yes, I have a huge payment , so this probably isn't an option since you don't want one, but I put zero down and I am already right side up in value. A side note, my CTD is a Tradesman with no carpet and the basics (PW, PD, Blue tooth, SIRIUS, brake controller) so the price was pretty low for a new diesel truck.

If you only drive 20 miles a day on average stay away from trucks with a DPF that do not use Diesel Exhaust Fluid unless you delete the DPF. You will have to drive more to complete regen cycles because your short commute won't do it. My truck has never done a regen and gets good mileage, thank you DEF. My friends with stock 6.7 Fords love them and have great luck. I think they had bearing issues in the first years on the turbos, but that's all I have heard.
I would stay away from the 6.4 unless you do EGR and DPF delete, also remember this truck was designed by Ford to have the cab removed for major engine service. The 6.4 engine compartment is TIGHT.
The main reason I went Dodge CTD over Ford was that the engine was much more serviceable and the frame much stiffer (coils on all four corners doesn't hurt either). I am still absolutely amazed at how my truck handles my 12,000lb 5th wheel.
That being said I really want an OBS 5spd 7.3 PSD, these are amazing trucks. If i was in your shoes I would wait for a nice one to pop up, I have seen several within 200 miles of me that I would look at. All over 100k, but well cared for and very reasonable.
I am not as familiar with the Chevy as I didn't want IFS, but I know someone with a 2004 6spd that does very well and loads it often and these probably won't be priced like Golden Dodge CTD trucks, but all around here have a million miles after 3 years.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I really like my 7.3 Powerstroke. I lucked out and found one with only 99k on the clock back in '09. This truck came with no particulate filter. I chipped it for torque. A 4" straight through exhaust was installed. Ford makes an awesome severe service air cleaner for the 7.3 called an AIS intake. It uses the same filtration media as an M1 Abrams tank. I stayed away from the 6.0 and 6.4 for the reasons state above. For me, the 7.3 is a known quantity for reliable service and good parts support.

As Scooter

Observer
I am a Ford guy, and own a lot of them, own, not have owned. I even have a FIN code for fleet pricing, which is good, but not as good as it should be, but I digress.
I have had multiple 6.0's and they do eat injectors, and have problems if you do not maintain them, or use them hard. My personal truck had 120,000 miles on it when I bullet proofed it and started using Archoil in it. It has been dead reliable ever since.
However, I get that people don't want a 6.0. From what I have head, the 6.4 is not much better. You need to keep in mind that every brand of truck is going to have a problem truck, so it all depends on the problems that you can live with.
At this time, all the manufacturers make a decent quality truck. Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying, or has not looked at them closely enough. They also all have their own peculiarities, and the expense for each is just about the same.
If I was you, I would look at the truck that I could get the best deal on, and had an interior and amenities that I could live with. Like I said, I really like fords. Chevy's are too car like, which your wife might like, and the Dodges are far more utilitarian and poorer fit and finish than Ford or Chevy. You can't go wrong with just about any of the newer trucks, from 2011 on.
Also, you just might want to look at the Ford 6.2. It is an excellent gasoline motor, and I have 23 trucks that run them, and have thousands of hours without a miscue. I think that the only reliability problem we have had out of all of them was a pinched wire loom that would intermittently kill the engine. From all the miles we have driven, I would call that dead nuts reliable.

underdrive

jackwagon
The problem with any 7.3 PSD is that it lives in a chassis that is leaf-sprung on all 4 corners. So if the wife didn't like the FIL's truck, she's not gonna like anything that has a 444 in it. The nicer ride in Fords came about with the coil-sprung front axle, but that didn't happen till 2005 IIRC, which would already have the 6.0 that you're trying to avoid. So you're kinda between a rock and a hard place - if you want the 7.3 it won't have the nice ride, if you want the nice ride it will have either an undesirable engine or even more undesirable payment.

IMHO GM trucks ride and handle quite nice. Not as easy to lift and such like the solid-axled Ford and Dodge, but if you don't plan on such shenanigans that becomes a moot point. Can the wife drive a stick-shift? If not is she willing to learn how to?

ZMagic97

Explorer
I agree on the 7.3s being very nice, and also agree on the 4 corner leafs ride. My father owned one and enjoyed it.

As far as a GM 6.6, that's my favorite. Not just because the motor and trans has been a reliable, long standing pair, but also because of the look of the truck and the interiors. I have a gas 5.3 06 Sierra and I love the interior of that truck: easy to use and reach controls, well laid out dash gauges, large and VERY useful center console (if you have captains chairs up front) and the back of the center console has 2 cup holder for the rear with the back seat also having a fold down for two more cup holders. Said console also has two 12V up front, and one in the rear. My version also has 2 headphone outlets with a rear audio channel controller for FM, CD..etc and HVAC vents. I consider my truck a family-friendly do-all rig.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Why do you want a diesel? Question #1.

Unless you tow big and tow often there is no reason to buy a diesel beyond "I want one". Most people will never own their diesel long enough for longevity to become a factor, will never put enough miles on them for fuel economy to pay off, and won't make enough money off them for the potential maintenance costs to be a sensible gamble.

I've had them all sans the Dodge. Right now I have a 7.3, a 6.0, and a 6.7. The later two are for my business and the 7.3 is in my toy.

Here is the big thing with the modern diesel. When something goes bad it is a major cost. A failed HPFP in a 6.4 will set you back $12,000-$15,000 at the Ford garage if done per Ford repair procedure. I can buy almost an entire set of injectors for the 7.3 idi for the cost of one injector for that 6.4. The 6.0 is a ticking time bomb unfortunately. Some guys beat them to death and never do anything except fill the tank. Others follow the severe duty maintenance schedule, drive like a nancy, and watch the egr eat itself anyway, along with a few other choice parts. They have a habit of stretching head bolts and blowing head gaskets. That's not the end of their potential problems. The 6.4 contrary to popular belief doesn't eat egrs like the 6.0 did. It's only real issue is related to the dpf system, which is fairly easy/cheap to rectify but the problem there is at what point in its life did it get rectified and how much damage was done by then? The 6.7 has so far proven to be fairly reliable, but that isn't the point.

The point is the cost to repair. Chris from Ujoint, sponsor here, bought an entire 7.3 power stroke long block from Ford cheaper than it cost me to fix the fuel pump on my 6.4, and I bypassed the dealer to save money, and get it done right.

Do you want that kind of repair bill hanging over your head? These things are heart-stoppingly expensive to fix, and for the average owner, to what benefit?

You can get everything you want in a Ford with a gas engine. It's way cheaper to buy into, way way cheaper to fix as a rule, and likely to outlive your desire to own it.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Can always swap the 05 coil sprung front suspension onto the 7.3 frame. Probably cost around $1000-$1500 if you have a decent junkyard around. There are several threads in different sites about how easy a swap it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZMagic97

Explorer
Why do you want a diesel? Question #1.

Unless you tow big and tow often there is no reason to buy a diesel beyond "I want one". Most people will never own their diesel long enough for longevity to become a factor, will never put enough miles on them for fuel economy to pay off, and won't make enough money off them for the potential maintenance costs to be a sensible gamble.

Great point. I own two gassers for this reason. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to own for the most part, and modern gasoline engines last a lot longer these days. Got my 06 Sierra gasser from a buddy for $12k so he could buy an 08 Sierra for almost $40k. He hauls nothing.

mmp3823

Observer
I have two Duramaxes. a 3/4 ton(2005) and 1 ton dually(2008). Both have been great reliable tucks and comfortable to ride in. I will echo tgreening though. If you aren't towing a lot or need the power of a diesel I would look at a gas truck. Diesel have a little more maintenance than a gas vehicle and with the more expensive fuel you really aren't getting ahead in the slight bump in fuel mileage. I really like my 3/4 ton truck but often consider selling it and replacing it with a gas truck since I use my 1ton now for all my heavy hauling.

underdrive

jackwagon
Can always swap the 05 coil sprung front suspension onto the 7.3 frame. Probably cost around $1000-$1500 if you have a decent junkyard around. There are several threads in different sites about how easy a swap it was.
Agreed, and that's exactly what I'd do, not just for the coils but also the larger unit bearings (it's also the way to go when converting a 2wd truck to 4x4). That and I wouldn't touch 6.anything cause of the repair costs anyways, which goes back to what Tgreening asked about the OP actually needing a diesel. To me it seems diesel is more of a fad than anything these days - yes many folks actually can and do take advantage of the engine's capabilities, but there are also a whole lot of others who jump on the bandwagon just cause. Good friend of ours is actually looking for a CCSB 4x4 truck, we advised him to avoid any and all diesels - what he can afford the repairs on (the 7.3) is at this point about the same age as what he drives now, and the newer stuff is way outta his pricerange if something goes wrong. That, and there is the issue of how easy these things have become to get stupid power out of - unless one knows the previou owner one cannot really be sure if the truck they're about to buy wasn't run hard and put away wet most of the time. Actually personally I would specifically avoid trucks that have tuners in them for that very reason...

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed, and that's exactly what I'd do, not just for the coils but also the larger unit bearings (it's also the way to go when converting a 2wd truck to 4x4). That and I wouldn't touch 6.anything cause of the repair costs anyways, which goes back to what Tgreening asked about the OP actually needing a diesel. To me it seems diesel is more of a fad than anything these days - yes many folks actually can and do take advantage of the engine's capabilities, but there are also a whole lot of others who jump on the bandwagon just cause. Good friend of ours is actually looking for a CCSB 4x4 truck, we advised him to avoid any and all diesels - what he can afford the repairs on (the 7.3) is at this point about the same age as what he drives now, and the newer stuff is way outta his pricerange if something goes wrong. That, and there is the issue of how easy these things have become to get stupid power out of - unless one knows the previou owner one cannot really be sure if the truck they're about to buy wasn't run hard and put away wet most of the time. Actually personally I would specifically avoid trucks that have tuners in them for that very reason...

Since diesel is a big fad, some great deals on low mile gassers right now. Then you don't have the expensive repair cost looming in the back of your head if you had gone with diesel.

I would suggest to the OP to go test drive a 6.2 F250, they make plenty of power for hauling a camper.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We really like our 95 Chevy diesel, with the minor upgrades I have made it currently is putting out just a bit more power than an early stock Duramax, with 142k miles currently on it and only using it for about 3k miles a year we will have it a long time. Ride is superior to any of the solid axle rigs and have had zero issues with it other than getting used to owning a diesel in the winter, best of all though is that we can let it sit parked without costing a dime. When I was looking for a truck 3 years ago I got lucky and found our 95 locally with just over 130k miles on it, had 2 owners and was 100% stock, finding a manual trans diesel was about impossible in any generation unless it was beat to crap and/or high miles, so I bought it tow the Jeep and now our boat. But unless you are going to be hauling enough each year to justify buying a diesel I would stick with a gasser, most modern big blocks will tow anything you need without all of the added upkeep.

dsal_86yota

Observer
Thanks guys. Part of the reason Im looking at diesel is the longevity. Im not one that goes through trucks like some. I have had my 97 f150 since 2008, and my 86 Yota since 2003. I also prefer solid axle. I want to run a 2" lift and 35's. I haven't driven a gasser ford 3/4 ton in years and that was a old 80s one. Last dodge gasser I drove was a 05 1500 hemi I had(traded it cause I was stupid 21yo when I bought it new with a good job, no bills and no knowledge of financing and got a 17% interest rate and a $550 a month payment) Also considereing diesel cause my wife has mentioned getting a camper in a year or 2 and we both want to eventually get a boat, if I don't buy my FILs when he retires and moves down south.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. Part of the reason Im looking at diesel is the longevity. Im not one that goes through trucks like some. I have had my 97 f150 since 2008, and my 86 Yota since 2003. I also prefer solid axle. I want to run a 2" lift and 35's. I haven't driven a gasser ford 3/4 ton in years and that was a old 80s one. Last dodge gasser I drove was a 05 1500 hemi I had(traded it cause I was stupid 21yo when I bought it new with a good job, no bills and no knowledge of financing and got a 17% interest rate and a $550 a month payment) Also considereing diesel cause my wife has mentioned getting a camper in a year or 2 and we both want to eventually get a boat, if I don't buy my FILs when he retires and moves down south.

I can tell you that it's nice being able to set the cruise with our in-bed camper while towing the boat, not sure how well a gasser would handle that setup without shifting a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior