1991 Suburban 2500

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So I could not think of a creative title, so there it is...

138,000 miles, no rust no leaks. I pick it up on Tuesday. This does mean that the 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon will go up for sale. I figure I will regret that part from time to time. Goal for this change is: have a more family trip/adventure/camping friendly vehicle. We love the jeep but comfort wise we are only good for about 4-5 hours max on the road before we are whipped. We want to have an off road capable 4wd, that is geared for camping and traveling in comfort. My rock crawling days are behind me. This fall I spent many days on the trails with various jeep and veteran events and I realized it is the people and the event much more than the trails... and also realized a well built Burb can do what I was asking of my Rubi... so here she is... just a pic from the ad...

91 burb.jpg

It is in relatively good shape and drives well. A few things to address right from the get go are attempt to tighten up the steering, replace door weatherstripping and window seals, replace audio, look into some funky operation of the window multi switch on the driver door, look into replacing the passenger side window motor, as it is slow enough that I am pretty sure it will die soon... in the down position of course, and the brakes squeal a bit even though there is plenty of pad.

I have ordered an upgraded steering stabilizer, although I think there is likely more to be done than that. The steering is OK just looser than I prefer. I am going to mount the new stabilizer and see what that does.

Goal for this vehicle is to: Replace my 2005 LJ Rubicon as our family adventure mobile and my daily driver. To that end I am not planning on much in way for modification... going to focus on reliability, function and capability, in that order. I will begin fluid changeout this weekend and get the weatherstripping and window seals ordered. Dale threw in an awesome Warn winch bumper with the deal, so I will swap that out soon, mount one of my winches up there and upgrade to a heavier winch at some point. Also on the capability list is a locker for the rear. In looking so far it is likely to be a detroit. The install looks remarkably simple, much the same as a lunchbox locker. Other than that it will be spending some time underneath to see about skid plating. Before spending some time in the vehicle I was thinking about lifting, but after driving and crawling around underneath, I may have enough clearance for waht I want the rig to be capable of with it set up stock.

As with the other builds I have posted here over the years, I am very open to suggestion and will be asking plenty of tech questions and hope you will chime in with your experience and expertise.

The 2005 LJ Rubicon is going up for sale once I do some prep work.
rampage top 1.jpg

Wish me luck and stay tuned to help me out!

John

Klutch7

Congratulations on the acquisition! I looked at this truck and thought about it pretty thoroughly but ended up remaining focused on 2000+ 2500 Suburbans. I couldn't believe how clean this is, especially the undercarriage!

Best of luck. Post pics with that new bumper ASAP!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Congratulations on the acquisition! I looked at this truck and thought about it pretty thoroughly but ended up remaining focused on 2000+ 2500 Suburbans. I couldn't believe how clean this is, especially the undercarriage!

Best of luck. Post pics with that new bumper ASAP!

Thanks Klutch!

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Love burbs! My compound is out of room however! Check out the roof caps for these... you can add 18" of headroom in there depending how you wanna build it... its a huge mod but IMO it gives you the room of an RV & the range of a Jeep..... GO BURB! Well done!

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
on the steering look into the Cherokee steering shaft upgrade, it gets rid of the rag joint and turns it into a universal joint. just make sure you keep the slip in the shaft just in case of a wreck. another thing is to check the frame behind the steering box for cracks, even with all street use I have seen the frames crack there.

on the windows being slow you can wire in relays and it will speed the windows up quite a bit, I need to do it on my burb. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=470949&highlight=power+window+relay

justcuz

Explorer
The switches and grounds being cleaned and checked with a volt/ohm meter usually fixes these windows without spending anything but your time. I just cleaned the contacts on my passenger side window switch last week and it works fine now.
The steering is usually the rag joint, lose steering box or cracked frame. I would do the Cherokee modification on the steering shaft and buy the steering box brace from the cheapest vendor you can find because I think they are all made by the same couple of manufacturers. DIY may be the best price. Check and make sure your steering box bolts are tight and that the frame is not cracked behind the steering box.
There is a vendor on the 67-72 Chevy truck website that sells good quality weatherstripping, I will look it up and add it to the post later.
I think the 1991 has all the good stuff power train wise. We can walk you through that.

Ha ha Warrpath and I were typing at the same time!

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Love burbs! My compound is out of room however! Check out the roof caps for these... you can add 18" of headroom in there depending how you wanna build it... its a huge mod but IMO it gives you the room of an RV & the range of a Jeep..... GO BURB! Well done!

Hmmmm... where do you find these roof caps?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
on the steering look into the Cherokee steering shaft upgrade, it gets rid of the rag joint and turns it into a universal joint. just make sure you keep the slip in the shaft just in case of a wreck. another thing is to check the frame behind the steering box for cracks, even with all street use I have seen the frames crack there.

on the windows being slow you can wire in relays and it will speed the windows up quite a bit, I need to do it on my burb. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=470949&highlight=power+window+relay
Thanks Warrpath! I had heard about the cracks and will get to that this wknd.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The switches and grounds being cleaned and checked with a volt/ohm meter usually fixes these windows without spending anything but your time. I just cleaned the contacts on my passenger side window switch last week and it works fine now.
The steering is usually the rag joint, lose steering box or cracked frame. I would do the Cherokee modification on the steering shaft and buy the steering box brace from the cheapest vendor you can find because I think they are all made by the same couple of manufacturers. DIY may be the best price. Check and make sure your steering box bolts are tight and that the frame is not cracked behind the steering box.
There is a vendor on the 67-72 Chevy truck website that sells good quality weatherstripping, I will look it up and add it to the post later.
I think the 1991 has all the good stuff power train wise. We can walk you through that.

Ha ha Warrpath and I were typing at the same time!

Awesome. I will dig up info on the Cherokee steering mod. I am surprised that I cannot find a vendor who just sells a complete weather stripping kit for the whole dang truck.

Tonight we took care of some basic stuff, replaced that high bean headlight, air filter, and started messing with the radio. Hate the unit in there and the antenna sucks. Why don't they make just a plain jane am/fm with cd anymore? The unit that is in this truck has no way to adjust radio freq other than "seek".... wth...

Thanks guys for your responses!

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
BIG problem when I got home... I was hijacked by a masked outlaw...
IMG_6180.jpgIMG_6181.jpgIMG_6178.jpgIMG_6179.jpg

Attachments

• 91 burb.jpg
    91 burb.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,699

justcuz

Explorer
Oh Oh better stand and deliver! Beg him to allow you enough money to replace that whipsnade rubber piece for a proper antenna at your local auto parts store. Just a solid one that screws into the base.
There is a vendor in a 73- 87 Chevy website that sells weather stripping and Precision is a vendor on the 67-72 Chevy truck forum. I have a message in for a guy who has purchased some recently, not sure who he bought it from or the quality, waiting for a reply.
Neither looks like they have a Suburban or crew cab kit. The front can come as a kit and the rear doors are individual parts purchases it appears.
The Chrokee steering shaft conversion is covered in several locations, but if you need some info just let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior