Please convince me I need a Sportsmobile

chop

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. I'm spending some time this morning on the Sporstmobile website to spec out a vehicle. Actually I've spent most of the long weekend over there. Very informative.

I have looked at the west coast used vehicles and agree there are some nice used vans there, even a couple red ones. A bold statement to be sure. My immediate goals are to see how I can save some money and still have the vehicle I want. Used may be a good option and the V10 is another consideration.

I've also looked at specing out just the van and SMB 4WD conversion and forgoing the interior, penthouse and other options until I pay off the 4X4 van.
Just playing with several ideas at this time. I do appreciste the first hand experiences as they give me a good feeling about choosing a 4X4 van as an expedition vehicle. This is a huge commitment and investment to make for our future. No turning back once the papers are signed.

And it is with profound appreciation that on Memorial Day I have the opportunity to have this dream thanks to those who have fought and died for our freedom. I think I'll take advantage of that freedom.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I just checked out the current selection of used SMB's, and there are some nice rigs there for sure.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
building vs buying

chop said:
Brian,
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'd like, namely first hand. My original idea was to do what you did and for the same reasons, doing it all in one place in a timely fashion and the robustness of the 4x4 components.

I also agree the Quigly GM conversion may be a better solution for me since the 4x4 capability is less of an issue than the diesel reliability. I don't plan on serious rock crawling but I do plan on long trips to remote locations on 4x4 passable roads. i may be thinking about this backwards but that's why I'm here; to learn from those that have done this.

Lastly I also would consider building most of the interior myself with the intent that no serious boondocking can be done until complete. I can always camp with less amenities until then. I have some land in northern AZ that I can park on and camp more comfortably than in a tent. I'm gettin' too old to sleep on the ground but still young enough to explore.

I don't mean to emphasize the vehicle as my primary concern as others have mentioned it's the getting out there that is most important. My getting out there means I'll be leaving the Phoenix area in the next few years, relocating on my property, and hopefully traveling in some comfort in a reliable, sturdy van. Once there I do plan on living in the vehicle for weeks at a time. At least that's the dream.
Thanks Brian and everyone else.

Please allow me to illustrate the obvious:

When Brian invites me to tag along with he and his SMB in my Mini Me Sportsmobile Wannabe, I have to decide weather I can go along "as is", or do I have a project deadline coming up? Can I go, or do I need to work on the van for next weeks trip? (Or I am simply caught up in a compulsive stage of build?)

I've had my Astro since the end of January. I've lifted and re-shocked it, tire-ed it, re-geared and posi-ed it, guacho couched it, CB-ed it, gained 10 lbs, haven't hardly ridden my mountianbikes, paddled my kayaks, and haven't touched the bathroom remodel since...gulp...February (shrinking into my chair). And the list grows, as the budget begins to stare you in the face with a stern grimace.

Yes, I have gone on 4 or 5 awesome little trips that i would not have done in my F-150 or Fiancee Jen's Murano. It camps great with the Guacho couch and awning, but I'm still waiting to be scheduled for my frikkin' pop top, although they cashed the deposit check a month ago. But I'm afraid that Brian may quit inviting me because I turn him down too often.

Life's a trade off- you get the picture.

Looking forward to your decision and watching your plan hatch and come to fruition.

TL

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So what you're saying is..... Buy a Sportsmibile so you can free up your time for the fun stuff? I understand 100%, it's hard to find the time for everything, van projects, exercise, life in general.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
AlpineSMB said:
Right now w/ a lot of people getting into trouble financially etc... the deals and selections of used SMB's are terrific. FYI just 1 yr when I was shopping, if a 4x4 SMB showed up used it was snatched up immediately, now there are a ton of good looking rigs on the used SMB site

good luck w/ your search

-d

wow you're not kidding - i just checked the listings...

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

Railvan

Adventurer
Yep, there are a LOT of used SMB's for sale right now! When we were shopping I didn't really consider a used van as there were usually only two or three on the SMB West site at any one time. Now there are lots to choose from, including a GM SMB camper conversion that Salem-Kroger could make into a 4x4... (Just to stir the pot!) ;^)

Hey, Tom, you went to Owyhee without me! Who's not inviting who? :^)

Brian

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
chop said:
.....At least I've narrowed my choice down to a 4x4 van after running the gamut from the traditional RV to the Unimogs......
You've completely ruled out old Blazer Chalets? Not a 'van' exactly, but still essentially a micromotorhome, dime-a-dozen standard Chevy truck parts, somewhat customizable interior and more outward visibility with more windows than a Sportsmobile. Mine is in Mesa, in case you want to see one first-hand...

chop

Adventurer
77blazerchalet said:
You've completely ruled out old Blazer Chalets? Not a 'van' exactly, but still essentially a micromotorhome, dime-a-dozen standard Chevy truck parts, somewhat customizable interior and more outward visibility with more windows than a Sportsmobile. Mine is in Mesa, in case you want to see one first-hand...

That is part of my delima...generally I don't rule out anything. I'd like to think it's my ability to be accepting of all positions and opinions but the other edge of that sword is the reluctance to commitment to a choice. Catch 22. Although I appreciate the offer I'm as sure as I can be that the 4WD van best fits my criteria. Certainly compromises were reached to get there.

You should see the mental gymnastics I'm going through now just to get into a van...build vs. buy, used vs. new, gas vs. diesel. Quigly vs. SMB, etc., etc. The goal remains steadfast and that gives me some comfort; it just might take a while.

etbadger

Adventurer
I'd suggest setting a time limit to make SOME decision, otherwise you can spend eternity weighing the pros and cons of every choice.

We chose the arbitrary point of turning 30 to get our move on. At the time that gave us a couple years to do some research, try out a few trips in different vehicles, and watch for good deals on used equipment.

We certainly have beefs with our van, and other equipment, and knowing what we know now, probably would have made some decisions in a different direction, HOWEVER, we have no regrets. I think we made the right decisions for us at the time, given the information we had availalble to us when we made those decisions.

Also, with resources out there like this forum, the OJ, etc, the information availalble to you to make those decisions are such an improvement beyond what we had just a few years ago, I would be overjoyed.

Getting out there and just doing it is the biggest step to overcome. Accept that stuff will break, stuff will go wrong, you will have uncomfortable nights, and you will have some of the most amazing memories to carry the rest of your life.

-e

MB309basket

Adventurer
etbadger said:
I'd suggest setting a time limit to make SOME decision, otherwise you can spend eternity weighing the pros and cons of every choice.

-e

I agree 100%. I add that agonizing over the decision, in my case, indicated a greater interest in the car than the trip.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with that. But I think you buy a SMB because you want one. And you go on a trip because you want to take the trip.

Ultimately the trip is the trip, whether you finish in the same car you started with or not.

EDIT: This post makes it sound like I own, or have owned, a SMB. I have not. I have, however, agonized over owning one on numerous occasions. (As well as six million other cars, only a third of which I ended up owning -- my wife says we need a revolving door on the garage.)

Last edited:

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
I have had my 2005 SMB for just over a year and put 14,000 miles on it with no problems (I bought it used with 36k miles). At the time I really wanted the diesel but didn't want to spend the extra $. Now with the price of diesel being higher I can live with the lower mpg of the gasser. The V10 has been not only reliable it actualy tows my Cherokee on a flat bed trailer very nicely. On my first big trip last summer I drove 8k miles and saw so much on and off road. The SMB handled better than expected. I have the SMB 4x4 conversion. Yes, there are some little things that could be improved and some quality issues that Badger talks quite extensively about. But every vehicle i have owned has room for improvement. That is part of the fun of it. I like the idea of buying a 1-2 year old SMB, save some dough, and know that with such a savings you can put it into upgrading and have a reserve for fixing things.

It really is a great vehicle for the simple fact it is comfortable, self contained, easy setup, can fit in a normal parking space, tows well etc etc etc.

steve

chop

Adventurer
cellularsteve2 said:
I have had my 2005 SMB for just over a year and put 14,000 miles on it with no problems (I bought it used with 36k miles). At the time I really wanted the diesel but didn't want to spend the extra $. Now with the price of diesel being higher I can live with the lower mpg of the gasser. The V10 has been not only reliable it actualy tows my Cherokee on a flat bed trailer very nicely. On my first big trip last summer I drove 8k miles and saw so much on and off road. The SMB handled better than expected. I have the SMB 4x4 conversion. Yes, there are some little things that could be improved and some quality issues that Badger talks quite extensively about. But every vehicle i have owned has room for improvement. That is part of the fun of it. I like the idea of buying a 1-2 year old SMB, save some dough, and know that with such a savings you can put it into upgrading and have a reserve for fixing things.

It really is a great vehicle for the simple fact it is comfortable, self contained, easy setup, can fit in a normal parking space, tows well etc etc etc.

steve

Thanks Steve and all.
Well it looks like I'm the owner of a 2005 E350 SMB now (24K miles). Just need to have it delivered in 2 to 3 weeks to make it official. I did go the used route equiped with the Quigley conversion and V-10 power. After weighing all the various options available I decided this was the best choice for us. I just couldn't justify 100K for a new diesel, SMB 4WD at this time and at half the price I can go a few places sooner than I could have otherwise.

I really appreciate the opinions offered in this thread as they gave me a few perspectives I had not considered and helped me make a decision that much sooner.

I did kick around the idea of building my own van conversion but after 25 years of musclecar and chopper building, I really didn't want to spend time, money, and effort on a project this big. I do admire those that have the wherewithall to do so since I know the sacrifices it takes to build this type (or any type for that matter) of vehicle. Besides I can always tinker on this one as is. First projects are solar power and satellite radio.

First trip is up to some property we have in northern AZ to boondock for a bit and learn about what it will take for us to do extended stays in remote places. Then Baja sometime before the end of the year.
Thanks again.
Carl

MB309basket

Adventurer
Right on.

chop said:
Thanks Steve and all.
Well it looks like I'm the owner of a 2005 E350 SMB now (24K miles).
Carl

Congratulations!

I look forward to your impressions of it as you get to know it.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
congrats to you both

Congrats, Carl on the new SMB. Looking forward to pics and reports.

Congrats also to the Badgers. (Also looking forward to the pics and reports:) )

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Congrats Carl!
Welcome to the SMB club. I think you made an excellent choice and hope you are as happy as I am with mine.

What color did you get? Did you get the RB or EB?

There is plenty of time to add all kinds of stuff to it so you got the best of both worlds!

congratulations.

steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles