DRE's New FWC Project

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I just wanted to through a thread up to document my new camper setup and get some opinions on some of the modifications. So after a few years of camping with my family in a tow-able home-built camper, we've decided that we want to start going out more and take more toys with us, while increasing the distances we travel. The setup we've been using looks like this:

This has been a great setup, and helped us to get out 8-10 times a year for the last few years in some great areas. The only real drawbacks have been that the Bronco just isn't made to tow with it's short wheelbase and the power level of the '96 engine the trailer can only accommodate one motorcycle or the families bikes. It's now for sale and we're moving up to a rig that should give us more options.

I needed to maintain a truck to pull our family boat and our large 6x12 utility trailer (mainly used for construction), so getting an RV wasn't an option due to cost and available parking spaces. We figured that we could either go with a truck camper or a truck and larger toy-hauler type trailer. In the end, I wanted to continue to go further off the beaten path, so a truck camper is the option we chose. Because one of the main considerations was pulling power, I decided that I would go with a diesel. Due to my price range and the fact that I prefer Fords, it was either going to be a 6.0ltr from the '03-'08 era or a 7.3ltr. I'd always liked the 7.3s, but wasn't hopeful I'd find one meeting our needs. However, after a little looking, we found a super clean '03 crew cab, long bed w/ 80k miles on the clock.

The dealer actually gave me what I wanted for the Bronco ($2k more than I bought it for 7 years ago) and I was driving it home.

A couple days later, we pulled the trigger on our new FWC Hawk, just before the price increase for 2016. I'll put down more info about the camper later, but we got it mostly optioned out with the "silver spur" package.

For the truck, I knew pretty much what I wanted. I'm going to try and go with a flat-bed with under body storage and a box in front of the camper for the spare and camping supplies like this one:

The truck needs to be lifted a bit with a larger wheel and tire package, for both clearance and just for proportions of such a long truck. I ordered a 4" lift and 35" tires. Tires are in, lift is on the way and will hopefully go on over some of the days off over the next 3 weeks. Not sure if a bumper and lockers are in the budget now, but I definitely want to re-gear for the larger tires and increased load.

I'll also be buying or building a new trailer to pull behind the truck that will have an outdoor kitchen and a storage for camping stuff and our motorcycles (mine and my sons).

Stay tuned.

Don

-

Last edited:

Durango

Adventurer
Glad to see you are joining the ranks of the Flatbed FWC group. However, it looks like you have the 8' bed and if so (especially if you have a family) I'd sure go with the Grandby for the extra interior space. The hawk FB really only has room for two at the dinette table while the Grandby comfortably seats four. (I believe FWC only charges 200.00 for a change order.) Our Hawk FB is luxurious for 2 of us though. My two cents...
20151020_175628.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Glad to see you are joining the ranks of the Flatbed FWC group. However, it looks like you have the 8' bed and if so (especially if you have a family) I'd sure go with the Grandby for the extra interior space. The hawk FB really only has room for two at the dinette table while the Grandby comfortably seats four. (I believe FWC only charges 200.00 for a change order.) Our Hawk FB is luxurious for 2 of us though. My two cents...
View attachment 320752

I appreciate the thoughts, and it was definitely a consideration. The difference between the two models is 13 inches per the web-site (maybe 14" based on the pictures), and that is completely based on the difference in the dinette size. While it would be nicer to have the larger dinette, it was decided that the space would be better used for storage. In our case, that means a box up in front of the camper like in the picture shown above. I won't be able to keep a spare under the truck any longer, so the spare placement was a big concern. It will be going in the box, along with other camping stuff, and most likely the removable steps. I know it's a trade off, but for now, we can still fit the three of us in the dinette pretty well (my son is 7 now). As my son grows, I know it will be harder to do, though at that point, I'm not sure fitting 3 or 4 of us in there would work well anyway. Our thought is that we will normally eat outside, just like we do now. Out intent is to use the inside dinette is for rainy days and while trying to wake up in the morning. Luckily, the flatbed model has enough room to fit other seating options as well, such as on the cover over the toilet or on the water tank.

As an interesting side note for the size differences, if you look at the picture below, the "hatch" behind the shower drain is exactly 13" if I remember correctly. Pretty sure that is where they get the dimensional savings from.

20151129_131231_zpsrq1pm9d0.jpg
[/URL]

Don

-

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer

You want updates? Get over here and help with the lift you slacker. Haha.

On to updates... I went and weighed the truck the other day to see how the new setup will be when compared to the actual GVWR. On this truck, the VIN sticker shows a GAWR is 5,200lb Front, 6,084lb Rear, but a total of GVWR of 8,800lb. Taking it to the scales at work yesterday showed the following weights with just about a full tank of 36-38 gallons of diesel, but otherwise empty:

- 4,460lbs Front axle (Damn that engine is heavy)
- 2,800lbs Rear a88xle (based on math)
- 7,260lbs Total

20151222_123811_zpsjnu0vfih.jpg

20151222_133420-1_zpsctjbgmzz.jpg

The strange thing is that Ford specifies this (in the manual) as having a payload of 2,390lbs. Am I missing something? I'm not sure those numbers make sense. With a projected weight of 1,600lbs dry for the camper, I'm obviously going to be pretty close to the "GVWR" based on the overall number on the VIN tag. I'm hoping the flat bed is a bit lighter than the bed, however, I'll have to add in camping gear/clothing/etc. I constantly see people using this same exact truck pulling 5th wheels with pin weights well over 2k lbs as well as full sized slide in campers that are well over 3k lbs. I'm sure what minimal I'll be over the 8,800 number, I'll be fine and feel safe, but just thought it was interesting.

Don

-

Last edited:

Durango

Adventurer
I won't be able to keep a spare under the truck any longer, so the spare placement was a big concern. It will be going in the box, along with other camping stuff, and most likely the removable steps.

Understood. My flat bed builder told me my tire wouldn't fit under the bed either. But I asked, "Why can't we just keep the existing hitch/ spare tire holder?: They thought about and said sure. Also I made a killer step ladder out of two cheap Home Depot aluminum step ladders that hooks on the rub rail and then lays flat inside the floor of the Hawk when we travel. It is super sturdy and has gained the approval of Sioux who down't like rickety stuff!

The only reason I make these comments is that behind the cab storage space will be precious. I'd hate to see it "wasted" on a spare tire and steps if there is no need.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Understood. My flat bed builder told me my tire wouldn't fit under the bed either. But I asked, "Why can't we just keep the existing hitch/ spare tire holder?: They thought about and said sure. Also I made a killer step ladder out of two cheap Home Depot aluminum step ladders that hooks on the rub rail and then lays flat inside the floor of the Hawk when we travel. It is super sturdy and has gained the approval of Sioux who down't like rickety stuff!

The only reason I make these comments is that behind the cab storage space will be precious. I'd hate to see it "wasted" on a spare tire and steps if there is no need.

I'm with you on the ladder. Seems like a good option. With respect to the tire, mine is a 35". I need something full size so we don't have to drive down the road tilted. The stock size, 31" looks like the largest that will fit inside the frame rails and is too big a difference for me.

-

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

On to updates... I went and weighed the truck the other day to see how the new setup will be when compared to the actual GVWR. On this truck, the VIN sticker shows a GAWR is 5,200lb Front, 6,084lb Rear, but a total of GVWR of 8,800lb. Taking it to the scales at work yesterday showed the following weights with just about a full tank of 36-38 gallons of diesel, but otherwise empty:

- 7,260lbs Total

The strange thing is that Ford specifies this (in the manual) as having a payload of 2,390lbs. Am I missing something? I'm not sure those numbers make sense. With a projected weight of 1,600lbs dry for the camper, I'm obviously going to be pretty close to the "GVWR" based on the overall number on the VIN tag. I'm hoping the flat bed is a bit lighter than the bed, however, I'll have to add in camping gear/clothing/etc. I constantly see people using this same exact truck pulling 5th wheels with pin weights well over 2k lbs as well as full sized slide in campers that are well over 3k lbs. I'm sure what minimal I'll be over the 8,800 number, I'll be fine and feel safe, but just thought it was interesting.

Don

-

Well that's the thing, it's a 3/4 ton in the heaviest configuration. Crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel. The payload numbers suck. But the rear springs probably ride smoother and some people get out of higher registration fees. I wouldn't sweat the numbers too much though as long as you're reasonable.

2012Taco

AlumEscape

- 7,260lbs Total

Don

-

As far as GVWR it never made much sense to me, the Tacoma GVWR is 5,500# but was 5,700#+ on the scales over the summer before the rear bumper went on and without any camping gear. Figure once sliders and skids go on and camping gear is loaded up it'll be well over 6,000# before adding trailer tongue weight. Book claims that that curb weight for my truck is 4,220# ???

Anywho, from what I've read the run of the mill aluminum flatbeds like we saw at Expo were something like half the weight of the factory bed. Not sure what a factory 8' fullsize bed weighs but I can't fathom it being much more than 400#, I know the 7' on my Ranger was easily pulled off my parts truck with an extra set of hands on the other wheelwell. The cargo box will offset that savings a bit but shouldn't be too bad.

Really looking forward to this build though, still looking to wrench next week? :Mechanic:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Well that's the thing, it's a 3/4 ton in the heaviest configuration. Crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel. The payload numbers suck. But the rear springs probably ride smoother and some people get out of higher registration fees. I wouldn't sweat the numbers too much though as long as you're reasonable.

That's part of it, but there are numbers in the manual for all the different configurations, this being the lowest. Still doesn't add up.

Really looking forward to this build though, still looking to wrench next week? :Mechanic:

I'll be starting on Sunday morning. It fits in the garage (with about a foot to spare). Hopefully the 2-post will be able to lift it. :Wow1:

Hopefully we will be able to make these fit:

20151208_165409_zpsz9ladg43.jpg

Don

-

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Well you are consistent with your rim selection, I'll give ya that. They should fit great with a 4" lift, I think I had read back when my dad had his 350 that the Super Duty can take close to a 33" tire stock. I never could talk him into building it tho....

I could be game for Sunday if you need a hand, I had hoped to take the bike out but I think they're calling for rain again.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
As far as GVWR it never made much sense to me, the Tacoma GVWR is 5,500# but was 5,700#+ on the scales over the summer before the rear bumper went on and without any camping gear. Figure once sliders and skids go on and camping gear is loaded up it'll be well over 6,000# before adding trailer tongue weight. Book claims that that curb weight for my truck is 4,220# ???

Anywho, from what I've read the run of the mill aluminum flatbeds like we saw at Expo were something like half the weight of the factory bed. Not sure what a factory 8' fullsize bed weighs but I can't fathom it being much more than 400#, I know the 7' on my Ranger was easily pulled off my parts truck with an extra set of hands on the other wheelwell. The cargo box will offset that savings a bit but shouldn't be too bad.

Actually I weighed my Tacoma bone stock and it was 4200 and change. The suspension, tires, sliders etc all added up to a surprising amount. You don't want to know what it weighs loaded with the camper full of water and gear!

Durango

Adventurer
...Not sure what a factory 8' fullsize bed weighs but I can't fathom it being much more than 400#, I know the 7' on my Ranger was easily pulled off my parts truck with an extra set of hands on the other wheelwell. The cargo box will offset that savings a bit but shouldn't be too bad.
I was NEVER able to get a weight on my short bed Ram box either. But I did weigh it both before and after the FB installation. The completed aluminum FB including the four under-bed boxes weighed 190# less than the factory bed. Hope this helps.
20151011_131224.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Got a little done on the truck today thanks to 2012Taco's help. Half way there, but the back end should be a lot easier. Everything on this truck is so BIG compared to what I'm used to . The front should settle down a couple inches in addition to the extra weight on the front axles from the bumper/winch and camper.

20151227_165234_zpsnts0g7th.jpg

-

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
Got a little done on the truck today thanks to 2012Taco's help. Half way there, but the back end should be a lot easier. Everything on this truck is so BIG compared to what I'm used to . The front should settle down a couple inches in addition to the extra weight on the front axles from the bumper/winch and camper.

20151227_165234_zpsnts0g7th.jpg

-

That is funny

I can show you what big is on a Ford FT900

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles