$450 bucks for...

Mx468

Observer
I just purchased a Disco 2, 2000 with 150,000 miles on it for $450. (No sunroofs) Previous owner was having problems with ignition coils and didn't want to pay his mechanic $800-$1200 to replace them. There is also rust under the rear frame and other little problems. So far I've fixed the rear bumper cracks(I used this stuff called q-bond, amazing product and really works), front headlight, abs wire fix, interior lighting, cruise control, painted the rear under frame rust with por-15, ordered new rear akebono pads, fixed the headliner, changed the air filter, plugs, got new used ignition coils, already managed to removed the old coils without taking off the intake manifold and will be installing the newer ones tomorrow. The truck is coming along and I feel I got a pretty good deal. So far I've spent $200. Total $650 to date.

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpg
    IMG_8505.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8523.JPG
    IMG_8523.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8527.JPG
    IMG_8527.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 63

adelatoa

Adventurer
Congrats. If the coils are out relocated the coils and get a set of msd wires and make your own lengths. You have to make sure you Make a good ground with the bracket. I used the original bracket and I cut it in half. Two coils per bank mounted on the fire wall I then ran a ground cable to the block. Worked like a charm.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd go get some junkyard coil packs. They rarely fail.

It is a pain in the rear to replace, though.

Good job overall. Non-sunroof trucks are becoming desirable now.

zelatore

Explorer
Ha...I picked up a $500 DI recently that's sort of the opposite of yours - no rust being in CA but the body/paint and interior are crappy yet the mechanicals are all fine. It had no steering when I got it and the guy thought the steering box was gone because the steering wheel was free-spinning. I just had to tighten the pinch bolt on the U-joint to get steering again, though I went ahead and grabbed another from pick-n-pull just in case. Also had to replace the o-ring on the pressure line into the box as it was leaking like crazy. I suspect the box went dry causing the guy to muscle the steering which led to the stripped aluminum U-joint.

Now I just have to figure out what I'll do with it. I had planned to use it as a parts rig for a future RRC build but the RRC I ended up with already has a 4.2 and LT230 plus a ton of other spares.

jham

Adventurer
Nice grab! Although 2000 would be my last choice of year for a Disco, I would have never passed up a deal like that. Does it have the air suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mx468

Observer
Installed coils and truck purrs like a kitten. Truck does not have air suspension. Getting it registered tomorrow. Yahoo.

jham

Adventurer
Good find! Give RTE a call and get it out on the trails. If RTE is even around these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spikemd

Explorer
Nice resurrection. Keep going down the list of small fixes, get a mild lift, decent tires, sliders and hit the trails. Interior looks great.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I keep picking up D2's for parts then I part them out after I get what I want. I usually make $1500-2000 on each one. I think they are worth more as parts right now. I'll keep driving mine until it dies

Last edited:

lwg

Does anyone ever use the off brand OEM coils as replacements for the D2? Going to replace mine soon and found a few relatively cheap OEM options on Amazon.com.

Sent from my Toaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier