1990 G-Wagon Question/comments

Greetings!

I was hoping to get some feedback on a 1990 G-Wagon from the forum. I am a long time Land Cruiser guy, thinking about picking up a G-Wagon for daily driving and some mild off-road adventures.

I am looking at a 1990 Diesel G-Wagon (463) from Germany. Auto, diesel, clean condition. around 130,000 on the clock.

Basically looking for some general info. I understand that the 1990 had some significant upgrades/redesigns. Engine reliability? Parts availability? ect...ect...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jon

s-l1600.jpg

emoynier

Have the vehicle checked out before buying. Verify that the wiper spindles are replaced, inner seams of the rear panels, lower tail gate metal check for corrosion, rocker panel corrosion, chassis chock mount corrosion.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Yeah, if it is good on corrosion that truck will be wonderful and reliable machine

The big problem is that most G's that have been on the German winter salted roads for 25 years usually have a lot of rust; and a new paint job can hide a lot of sins.

Thanks for all the comments! The vehicle is in the US, and I will be doing a complete inspection for corrosion.

Just a few more question for the G-Wagon pro's here:

-This G does not have A/C. It it hard to retrofit/source parts for an A/C system?
-How difficult is it to source parts for the non-US G's? I have an Australian Land Cruiser, and while you have to order parts from Australia and Japan sometimes, parts have been pretty available.

One last comment/question. I have heard there is one dealership that sources all the OE Benz parts for the G's. Is this true? I have also read of non-US spec vehicles being flagged by this
dealership (via the vin #) and subsequently being denied parts sales. IS this accurate?

Thanks again for all the comments, I greatly appreciate the help!

Scott Brady

Founder
A/C will cost you more than a house to install. Just the blower assembly is $1,800 ;)

Parts are easy. You can get everything for that truck in a few days. I have never had an issue getting parts for mine.

Roger that Scott. I was afraid that would be the case with the A/C !!!

Thanks for the info.

A/C will cost you more than a house to install. Just the blower assembly is $1,800 ;)

Parts are easy. You can get everything for that truck in a few days. I have never had an issue getting parts for mine.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I have heard there is one dealership that sources all the OE Benz parts for the G's. Is this true? I have also read of non-US spec vehicles being flagged by this
dealership (via the vin #) and subsequently being denied parts sales. IS this accurate?

Thanks again for all the comments, I greatly appreciate the help!

There are at least four sources for G parts in the US:

1.) Eurotruck Importers in Georgia
2.) Fourbyfourclub.com in New Jersey
3.) Couch Off-Road Engineering in Colorado
4.) Your local MB dealer. Yes, they can get the parts, but all too often refuse to do so.

As far as flagging and parts sales denial is concerned, I've been driving a G in the US since 1984 and administer/moderate the P3 G-Class Forum; and have NEVER heard of that. Someone is spreading BS on that subject.

aircruiser

Observer
What motor does it have? The normally aspirated engines may be anemic for your tastes on the freeways over here, fine for lower speed usage. My 617a 460 can do 75 at WOT more or less depending on terrain all day long, but is a joy to drive around town, country roads, and off road. The 603 should be up to task, plenty of power especially when in 603a form, not so much with the 602. Manage expectations, drive what you love and love what you drive.

Air conditioning parts should be available new and used from various sources, creativity my be needed depending on engine model for compressor mounting.

It has the OM603 Engine (based on the year, I assume it is the 113hp version) in very nice shape with an AUTO tranny. As long as I can maintain about 70mph on fairly level ground, I'll be happy. So what Turbo options are there for the M603 engine? It would be nice to have a bit more power as I do a fair amount of highway driving. I am going to drive it for the next few months, and figure out what my tolerance is for the power. My other rig is a 1987 HJ75 Land Cruiser with a 2H. It is pretty anemic as well...but the addition of a turbo helped.

What motor does it have? The normally aspirated engines may be anemic for your tastes on the freeways over here, fine for lower speed usage. My 617a 460 can do 75 at WOT more or less depending on terrain all day long, but is a joy to drive around town, country roads, and off road. The 603 should be up to task, plenty of power especially when in 603a form, not so much with the 602. Manage expectations, drive what you love and love what you drive.

Air conditioning parts should be available new and used from various sources, creativity my be needed depending on engine model for compressor mounting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior