Building a camping/bugout/SHTF setup?

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Alright let me start by saying that the point of this post is not to stir up crazy controversy or whether or not "End times" is a real thing. And while I may not be as tuned into current events (US and World) as I should be, it's not hard to see that there is a lot of messed up poop going on out there. Enough on that topic for now :)

I'm here to ask (in case it hasn't already), if you were going to build a "kit" or an inventory of stuff for camping + bugout/SHTF scenarios, how would it(if at all) differ from a standard camping setup? My young family and I, wife and 20 month old son, have decided that we'd like to begin camping for all of the positive reasons most people do it. We're basically starting from scratch. I've heard the less is more philosophy plenty of times and I like that idea. My wife is cut from a different cloth. She likes her hot showers and flushing toilets (who doesn't right?) so this is going to be a balancing act of simple, practical and utilitarian needs vs certain comforts. I'm also of the mind that if we're going to be buying this type of equipment/tools/etc, might as well buy things once. So to sum it up, I guess I'm looking for input on how you would construct a long-term, sustainable, camping setup for a "worst case scenario"?

Thanks for your time!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
A smaller hard side towable and suitable tow rig. If your wife is that type (as is mine) I can tell you right now, if you don't make her suitably comfortable, your camping career will be short and probably not so sweet. Especially with that young baby that brings other logistic issues with it, especially for mom.

Pop ups are a pain. They are also noisy from the inside. Essentially they are not much more than an above the ground tent with extra "stuff". You can get the toilet, shower, stove, all that, but it's still a noisy tent. Hard side.

I was in your exact situation, other than not quite so young. New-ish wife, new kid/s, (dog), let's go camping. Tent, one time. Pop up (a nice one), one season. A 33 foot towable. This was enough to keep the wife happy, but with now two growing kids and two dogs (big-ish), it didn't take long to become cramped. For us. After that it was 43' foot 5th wheel toy hauler and F-450 tow beast.

That was our progression, and the 5th wheel is getting dumped for a diesel pusher. That is what camping has become for me, wth a wife that likes the outdoors, but likes heading back to a nice shower and comfy bed at the end of the day.

Bottom line. Keep your wife comfortable or it won't last.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"Bottom line. Keep your wife comfortable or it won't last."

That. Like it or not, this is truth, unless you prefer camping alone. I don't mind roughing it myself, but when the wife comes along, bigger tent, throne room, comfy chairs, tables and a heater are necessities. She is okay with solar showers, and uses the throne room for that. We have gone from both roughing it, when we were dating, to a camper shell, then a giant tent when kids joined us, to a slide-in camper, now that the kids are off to college, a mid-sized tent (when camping together) with all the previously mentioned amenities. Now we are shopping for a big fiver for retirement, and I will just pack my camping gear so that I can still camp the way I like.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I like the idea, and I've been trying to come up with a similar setup / plan.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a trailer that would stay fully stocked and loaded for two reasons:

1. Difficult to argue the "let's go camping this weekend" declaration when everything is already packed ;)
2. Ease of use for a SHTF scenario. Hook it up to your vehicle and depart to safety.

If your wife likes more creature comforts, perhaps look into one of the teardrop camper setups? Even the smaller ones have comfy beds, interior lighting, and some sort of storage for a kitchen setup. They can get a little pricey, but as you mentioned - do it right the first time!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just for kicks and giggles and ideas check out tge new tiger moth idea the designer of the Cricket trailer just came up with it this past yr. I like some of his ideas and its sorta a modern twist on the tear drop idea.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Living in CA right next to a major Fault line. Our camping gear, how its packed at home, grab bag, and our sail boat out at the club all are kept in a state that can act as escape pods if we get the big one. Wood frame modern homes have the highest survival rates though they may not be habital which case getting gear out of the house is most likely possible. Staying in the house is probably not possible.

We keep glass stored bottled water in a bin outside. We have a water filter for the pool water, water jugs we can fill, keep propane cans ready for cooking and heat etc. Keep a stash of food basics to make it a week to two weeks etc.

Chances are we would be camped out at the house in the yard given getting any place other than by helicopter will be impossible. Even our smaller quakes Friends caught at work or going some place ended up walking home due to gridlock on the roads. We keep sensible walking shoes, water and a jacket in the car just for this reason.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Oh, and don't get too caught up in that "SHTF" mentality. By and large it's a fantasy scenario few people can actually define with any logic. Being prepared for certain things is sensible, preparing for shtf is mostly not.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Oh, and don't get too caught up in that "SHTF" mentality. By and large it's a fantasy scenario few people can actually define with any logic. Being prepared for certain things is sensible, preparing for shtf is mostly not.

"SHTF" can be anything - a natural disaster etc. It's not just invading commies ;)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
"SHTF" can be anything - a natural disaster etc. It's not just invading commies ;)

I get ya. The thing is that most define "shtf" as some civilization ending event. Sometime between 9-5 the world has come to an end (somehow) and you've got to grab your get home bag and live off the land for the what, 5-20 mile hike that would get most folks back home. Or grab your BOB, hop in your BUV, and within minutes. be ready to bug out with your loved ones to some mythical safe place known only to you and yours.

Local disasters are one thing, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, ice storm, etc, and are sensible to be prepared for depending on your location, but they don't equate to the end of the world as we know it, shtf scenario that many of those folks go on and on about.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Thanks for everyone's input so far. Opinions are what generally make forums so useful. I'd like to clarify that I'm not banking on, nor looking forward to a SHTF scenario. Oftentimes it's fantasized and glorified in wholly unrealistic ways. Given that we live in the heart of a major city, getting out could truly not be an option if an event warranted it. Truth be told, other than a natural disaster, the thing I fear the most is some sort of financial crisis that sends people into a survival craze. I don't want to be stick around to find out what that would look like. Hopefully it'd mean being able to get out of the city, and live off the land as best as possible until another solution presents itself. In the meantime, I'd like to build a camping kit that can essentially work as "practice" while still providing some sort of comfort for the wifey.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
In the meantime, I'd like to build a camping kit that can essentially work as "practice" while still providing some sort of comfort for the wifey.

There are a few items I'd recommend that will (hopefully) ensure a lot of comfort:

• Portable shower
  • Good food
  • Quality sleep

From my experience, the first few trips were just grabbing whatever was available at REI / Gander Mountain, so we ended up with one of those cheap hanging solar showers for $10 and it was awful. I invested in a Nemo Helio shower and it has paid for itself tenfold. Holds enough water for a 7-minute shower, warms up in the sun, and doesn't have to hang from a tree. The pressure is great, too.

Good food is all up to you; make sure you can cook and eat comfortably with a decent stove setup and some decent flatware. It will feel more like a picnic in the backyard and less like "roughing it." I've seen some really nice kits, but can't recommend any off the top of my head. The same rule goes for coffee if that's your thing.

Quality sleep for us comes in the rooftop tent variety. The thick mattress is great, and we bring pillows and blankets from home. Feels pretty close to our bed!

A lot of it is all mentality. The closer you feel at home, the better your trip will be :)

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the specific shower you mentioned.

I'm really drawn to RTTs, just not sure how feasible it really is for our situation. Our 4x4 just happens to be our nicest and most comfy vehicle, which means its a DD for one of us as well as the roadtrip car. Lack of a garage or even a carport, especially living in an inner city neighborhood just feels like asking for trouble. I haven't rules it out completely, just not sure if I can justify the price. But perhaps in the grand name of comfort, I could swing it.
Someone rec'd the Oztent to me and I find myself drawn to the simple setup and modularity, knowing the family will grow sooner than later. But again, it boils down to price. Could get a top of the line 4-6 man tent for about half the price of an Oztent Rv4/5, and that compared to a RTT?!?! sheesh.

Which make & model RTT do you have and how many people is it comfortably sleeping?

Any other specific must have tools, a particular stove you prefer, etc?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Something to think about with the RTT. It's way better than sleeping on the ground. If your camping means going somewhere, parking there and staying put, a RTT is great. If you want to use your vehicle to move about over your camping weekend, they suck. And given your living situation I would suggest mounting it to a cheap trailer. You could even buy some harbor freight cheapy, mod it to carry the RTT, and be good to go. Now you can find your camping spot, park the trailer, set up camp, and still be free to do some vehicle based exploring while there. When back home you don't have to worry about having the RTT mounted permanently to your vehicle, or it's security while parked on the street. You could rent a small storage unit and shove the whole thing, trailer and all, inside while not in use.

Now, after all that dont forget that wife you have that likes her flushing toilets and hot showers. My guess is she isn't going to be all that excited about crawling up and down a ladder in the middle of the night to go have a tinkle.

Btw, the worst financial disaster in history has already happened and society did not collapse.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Not that it's going to help the selling point or price of a rooftop tent, but you should check out the Baroud rooftop tents. They're low-profile, weather-resistant shells and supposedly have the most comfortable mattresses on the market. I have no affiliation; just what I've heard! That could eliminate the issue of driving with a giant 8" tall brick on top of your DD. The rooftop tents are great if you're moving all the time, like in a different location every night. If you're setting up a campsite for a week, it becomes a hassle if you need to move your vehicle / run into town (which is where the beneficial trailer setup would come in).

I have the CVT Mt. Bachelor, and it comfortably sleeps my wife and I. It will probably have to be replaced when our newborn gets older and wants to sleep up there due to lack of space.

Stoves are on my shopping list. I've traveled solo with a BioLite setup so I don't have to carry fuel, but it's a hassle when more than two people are sitting and waiting for me to start a fire to even start cooking food.

tribeof5

Adventurer
Stove

My wife and I have 5 boys ages 10-17. We cook on a Partner Steel stove using their full coverage aluminum griddle. The 3 burner 26" model. It's the best stove we have ever purchased and hopefully our last! I should have bought one sooner. We also bought a Dutch oven from PS as well. Those are the only two pots/pans we carry with us at all. We did 10,000 miles over 24 days last summer and cooked every meal either on the stove or over the fire. I can't recommend it enough. It is pricey but well worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94