My 1999 XJ build thread

cleanEG

Observer
Nice! I may do that. Did you just get spicer joints from an auto parts store?

It wasn't too bad actually -- I bought everything on Amazon. Here are the parts for the drive line:

(1) ACDelco 45U0708 Professional U-Joint Replacement Ball Kit with Spring
(3) Spicer 5-1310X U-Joint Kit

There is a good video from Bleepin Jeep on how to do the work -- I used it as a reference.

HercDriver

Adventurer
It wasn't too bad actually -- I bought everything on Amazon. Here are the parts for the drive line:

(1) ACDelco 45U0708 Professional U-Joint Replacement Ball Kit with Spring
(3) Spicer 5-1310X U-Joint Kit

There is a good video from Bleepin Jeep on how to do the work -- I used it as a reference.

Sweet dude thanks!

cleanEG

Observer
Been a while since I've posted -- I replaced the valve cover gasket, PCV tubes, and cleaned/painted the valve cover.
0402161445a_HDR.jpg

I then replaced the guage cluster and HVAC control bulbs with LEDs. Also the map light, and dome lights were changed out.

0525160056a.jpg

It was bugging me that I had power door locks but no remote. So I found out that in the overhead console/dome light area there is a circuit board for a remote. I ordered a power door locks remote kit on Amazon for $15, took out the circuit board and replaced it. Now I have keyless entry!

It's nice having a Jeep that doesnt leak oil -- took a long time to get here, but it was worth it.

Mitch502

Explorer
LED interior lights make everything better. I did it as a "just cause" thing, but then immediately realized how much of a difference it made!

HemiCUDA1313

You mentioned buying something from amazon to get your keyless working. What did you purchase? I am having issues with my keyless and would like to get it fixed easier than buying a full alarm system. What size LEDs were needed for the interior lights? I would like to do that upgrade too. I have a couple bulbs currently burned out.

cleanEG

Observer
Update: I finally welded in the frame stiffeners that I bought months ago. I didnt pull the carpet during welding, I had some help from a professional welder so he knew how to keep it from getting hot enough to burn the carpet. I'll post some pics of the frame stiffeners after I finish painting them :)

Here are the links to the bulbs I bought and the keyless entry:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVXTSEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW0VIZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QH9C5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cant remember the wiring but if you search around there is a youtube video on the wiring code for the overhead console. I just picked up some vampire taps and tapped into the wiring I needed and it was pretty simple.

cleanEG

Observer
Been a while since I updated the build progress. Planning a trip to Moab this week so for the last month I've been getting my XJ ready to go. The frame stiffeners are in, so it was now time to install my Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit with rear leaf springs that I bought a couple months ago. I pulled the transfer case and installed an Advanced Adapters SYE as the first order of business.

xj-sye-1.jpg
xj-sye-2.jpg

Next, it was time to get all the rust of the axle tubes and install the rear leaf springs, shackles and brake lines.

xj-front-axle.jpg
xj-rear-axle.jpg

XJ steering knuckles get grooves worn into them from the brake pads sliding across them over time. These grooves cause the pads to stick and wear unevenly -- known design flaw.
Either purchase new $700 knuckles or fill them with weld and grind it down flat again. So I opted for the latter while it was apart. Also, I noticed the ball joints were shot, so I replaced all 4 ball joints with Spicers while it was apart.

xj-knuckle.jpg

Next order of business was to rebuild the front axle shafts with new Spicer U-joints. In the process of getting out the rusted U-joints I bent on my yoke ears. *sigh* Instead of sourcing another one at a junk yard I decided to suck it up and buy Ten Factory 27 spline chromoly axle shafts. Just Empty Every Pocket right?

xj-bent-yoke.jpg

More to come, just need to upload the pictures but I overhauled the cooling system as well. New radiator, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, hoses. Also threw in a B&M transmission cooler to bypass the radiator.

Update:

Here are some pics of the suspension installed in the front with new ball joints, fixed knuckles, new axle shafts, new brake lines, and some used teraflex shocks from a 3" lifted JK. Eventually the plan is to run bilstein 7100s so I picked these up for now. The original drive shaft I bought had the wrong flange (it was meant for a hack n tap sye, not the 1310 yoke style SYE). I was 5 days away from a trip to Moab so a quick call to Adam's Driveshaft and they shipped a new one quickly. Greatly appreciate their customer service - I would highly recommend them.

xj-suspension-install.jpg
xj-rear-driveshaft.jpg
xj-b-m.jpg

Last edited:

HercDriver

Adventurer
I bent the ears on mine too. I had to put it in a vice and open it back up. Got lucky the u joint barely made it in there.

cleanEG

Observer
Just got back from Moab - did the Lockhart Basin trail along with Lockhart Canyon. 1700 miles on the Jeep round trip and she did great! No more cooling issues on the trail thanks to the B&M transmission cooler and bypassing the radiator.
xj-1.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
It really should not take you more than 12 hours to do the whole circle. It took us something like 14 but you have to count in the stops to fix Jeeps and to help the kid with the F350, long bed, crew cab get around a few rocks. Winching a friends Jeep off of a rock. Picture stops. Pileing a few rocks for the F350, the stop in Moab for burgers, fuel and some groceries. The cloud burst on the way back to Indian Creek in the dark. You know how much fun it is in a Jeep without a top.
I needed a few beers when we got back to camp.
I hope you got the hint, Indian Creek is our favorite place to camp. I know of a few other places...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles