My 1999 XJ build thread

cleanEG

Observer
Yep, mesh looks good.
Believe it or not getting the pinion preload took the longest time. Depth and backlash was pretty fast. At least now when I upgrade to an ARB in my front axle I don't have to mess with the depth again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

unkamonkey

Explorer
Believe it or not getting the pinion preload took the longest time. Depth and backlash was pretty fast. At least now when I upgrade to an ARB in my front axle I don't have to mess with the depth again.

kd

Welp, one of my old jobs was to rebuild old Jeeps and I still get dragged off to make sure things are done correctly on friends Jeeps. It looks like you did a good job. As long as the backlash is correct.

Last edited:

cleanEG

Observer
kd

Welp, one of my old jobs was to rebuild old Jeeps and I still get dragged off to make sure things are done correctly on friends Jeeps. It looks like you did a good job. As long as the backlash is correct.
Thanks! I had a good friend who rebuilds axles all the time teaching me and giving me pointers. It's very time consuming so I know why it's expensive for labor.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Agreed. Looks good. I used to work at Quick Performance, and while I never built centers or regeared, I learned a lot. Are those new or used gears?

cleanEG

Observer
Agreed. Looks good. I used to work at Quick Performance, and while I never built centers or regeared, I learned a lot. Are those new or used gears?
Those are new gears, in fact the front axle is completely rebuilt. New bearings, seals, gears, ball joints, chromoly shafts, ruff stuff differently cover. About the only thing that is left is maybe a truss and swapping out the spartan locker for an ARB

cleanEG

Observer
Finally finished up the remaining modifications on the jeep. At least for a while because it's time to start hitting the trail and take a break from building. Anyhow, I installed Rubicon Express drop bracket braces, transfer case skid plate, ARB air lines, compressor, switches and an SFR 7075 aluminum tie rod with new tie rod ends.

IMG_20170806_193023.jpg
IMG_20170806_192930.jpg
IMG_20170806_192919.jpg
IMG_20170806_192850.jpg
IMG_20170806_192956.jpg

Last edited:

cleanEG

Observer
Some pictures from this past weekend at Red Lake and Coyote Lake in the Sierras near Shaver lake. Nothing but spectacular scenery all weekend long and a very difficult trail !
jeep1 (1).jpg
P1060731.jpg
P1060634.jpg
P1060578.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Very nice! That is quite a bit above my pay grade though. I want my XJ to last.

I completely understand -I definitely need to weld on some skid plates to the lower control arm mounts on the dana 30 and eventually add a truss. Overall though, the jeep performed very well and the Ruff Stuff diff cover did it's job protecting the differential as I slammed into a few rocks. Also the tie rod worked wonders as did the armor under the jeep. The only mechanical issue I suffered was a pulley bearing going out on the AC compressor. The bearings were grinding, and smoking. Luckily I found a NAPA within 40 miles that had a new AC compressor so I limped it over there and installed it. Outside of that, I drove 800 miles round trip to the trail and back without an issue and averaged 14mpg @65 mph on the highway including LA traffic and going up the grapevine pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94