'00 Silverado AKA Lil' Rusty

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I agree with the other posters that your machine is improving:Wow1: nicely with all the upgrades Mr Colorado. I now also totally understand the trailer build. Before I was curious why you had all the open area at the front of the trailer. It is clear now that it is for storage of the motorbike. Super cool. Cheers, chilli..:):)

Last edited:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

Is there a gm part number tag somewhere on that overhead console harness? I've been wanting to add one for a while.

Here are the only identifiers on the harness, they look more like production info then part numbers to me.

20160326_194722 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160326_194715 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

As you know these trucks came with a variety of mirrors from manual all the way up to the onstar equipped units in later trucks. Not sure when they started putting on star in them but from what ive read online the number of wires in the mirror harness is the only difference in the harnesses.
To use the comp/temp mirror I have you need 7 wires in the mirror harness:

20160327_080624 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I saw another harness at the yard that only had 4 wires, that truck had and auto dim only mirror in it. From what I have read the 7 wire harness will work with any of the lower trim mirrors, auto dim only, auto dim w/compass display and this auto dim comp/temp mirror I have.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I have been wondering if its possible to add audio steering wheel controls from an early Escalade, Bravada, Jimmy or Blazer to a base truck like mine. They use the same wheel as you've seen from my steering wheel swap, I just wasn't sure about the wiring.

P1010037-1.jpg

Found this thread and it looks like its pretty straight forward. Ill have to add a set of steering wheel controls and the matching SIR coil to my junk yard list.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-t...bs-steering-wheel-audio-control-install.1073/

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Well I thought I had it all figured out when it came to the headliner harness swap. I was wrong haha.

I forgot about the 02/03 split, headliner harness for 99-02 is a lot different then 03-06. Luckily I was able to find a harness out of an 02 at the yard today.

Here are some comparison photos.

These are the connectors under the dash. 02 harness on the left, 03 on the right.

20160402_144015 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Here are the power mirror connectors, again 02 harness on the left, 03 on the right.

20160402_144103 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

They went from a 7 pin connector to a 16 pin connector at the mirror with the additions of air bag light, microphone for Onstar and the Onstar buttons on some mirrors.

Here are some various GM mirrors that I've collected through this process. 98-99ish suburban mirror on the left, 02 Silverado mirror in the center and 03 Sliverado mirror on the right.
All of them slightly different.

20160402_144210 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Sooo with the 02 harness plugged into my 00 base model everything works, I'm assuming OC stands for open circut since I didnt have the temp sender wired up during the test.

20160402_144645 by colorado_baja, on Flickr.

Now that all that is figured out all thats left to do is install my interior upgrades on Lil' Rusty :sombrero:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Managed to get everything installed over the weekend.

20160403_111017 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Carpet cleaned up pretty good!

20160403_151316 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Swapped out the back speakers while I had the B pillar trim out.

20160403_151324 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Lil' Rusty is still living up to its name, I found this when I pulled the passenger side trim. :Wow1:

20160404_110350 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

You can see what the bracket looked like before it rusted into nothing. Seeing that much rust I feared the worst, luckily I couldn't find any rot in the cab it self just the bracket. 2 bucks at the junk yard and its fitting good again. And really relieved my cab is solid, haha :wings:

One thing I haven't touched on with the over head console swap is the bracket, some have found it in place under the headliner. As you can see in the first pic of this post mine didn't have it. There are different part numbers for each cab configuration, the bracket I took out of an extended cab had part number 15042462, Ive seen part number 15711473 listed in some different threads for the regular cab but I haven't verified that personally.

I snagged one out of an extended cab at the junk yard, I'm guessing the single cab bracket is about 2" longer then the ex cab bracket because thats what I had to add to make it work.

20160404_131037 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Here's what it looks like installed.

20160404_131028 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The only two wires I ran were for the temp sensor for the mirror. I still think you could keep it plug and play buy taking the headlight harness back to the under hood junction box but hey, what do I know.. I've been incorrect more then once during this process.

20160403_134159 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Found a cup holder for my center console while I was at the yard. 2.99 I couldn't resist.

20160404_113002 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Here is every thing installed and working, at first the compass was 90* out. After a couple miles of driving CAL showed up in the mirror display. I had read online that if you do a couple of tight circles under 5mph it will calibrate and sure enough now it reads correct.

20160404_153051 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160404_153336 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

So.. in summary if your looking to do this swap remember:

99-02 and 03-06 use different harness.

You need a bracket for the console, long and short consoles use the same bracket but single cab and ex cab are different part numbers (see above). AND you need the little spring clip that the front of the console screws into. I have no idea what the part number might be but you can get it out of the truck you get the harness out of. There is no easy way to get it out, I had to force it, a bunch haha. I straightened it back out with a pair of needle nose and it clipped in no problem.

Here's what it looks like:

20160404_194459 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Grab the temp sensor out of the grill

Lastly get as many components off the same truck as you can. As you've seen there are a lot of variations between years and trim levels.

4 cup holders, an armrest and a compass what more could a guy need :sombrero:

Last edited:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Nice job there Mr Colorado. You should be working at GM....:wings:

Haha, I probably wouldn't excel in that environment. Owning my own business I get to do what I want when I want, its kind of addicting.

I'd probably get fired for building unapproved junk out of all the bins :sombrero:

Nice work

Thanks!

I did some exploratory surgery on the bed yesterday, nothing a wheel arch patch panel wont fix. The trim will cover all the repairs.

Someone floated the driver side up to 3/16" around the wheel arch area. Im sure it was just the outer skin when they did that. What I don't get is other then the area right above the wheel arch where their poor body filler repair was showing the paint was really nice looking, not a tape line to be seen. They must have sprayed the whole bed side, why do such a nice paint job over such a poor repair..

20160405_151716 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The passenger side was a lot better, no filler.

20160405_151850 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great work. You can also set the declination on the compass. If you're not sure how or cant find it online I'll grab the instructions from my owners manual and post them. Looking good and great price! ;)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Haha, I probably wouldn't excel in that environment. Owning my own business I get to do what I want when I want, its kind of addicting.

I'd probably get fired for building unapproved junk out of all the bins :sombrero:

Thanks!

I see it as a sign of inteligence:Wow1: that you can make something usefull out of someone elses junk. So grabing stuff out of the bin and working with it is a good thing! Also, nice repiar on your bodywork. Keep up the good work sir!:)

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Didn't have a lot of time to mess with the truck this weekend so I started on the easy side.

20160405_151850 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Should have cut it farther forward, the front edge was still a little weak but it'll work for this truck.

20160410_142624 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160410_152124 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Another round of filler would have worked out those couple little low spots but since I'm putting the flares on I sprayed it black and called it a day.

I think ill get an actual patch panel for the driver side.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Looking good, you would make it in the bodyshop business! Flares should cover all that? If all else fails, you could always fab up a flatbed, would be awesome on this short bed.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Yep luckily the flares will cover all my shenanigans, Ill have to be a little careful on the drivers side not to grind up too high but it should work.

2016-04-11_04-44-12 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Weirdest thing happened with this truck today, went to drive it to lunch and something make it stick at 4K rpm. Pulled me thru a stop sign with all the brakes it had dragging. Finally got it stopped and when I kicked it back on it revved up to 4K and hung out there immediately, when I cut it off it kinda wanted to run on, didn't cut off right away with the key.

Wondering if I had a stuck injector or something? Thought it was the cruise module but unhooking it had no effect. The throttle blade and cable felt normal at both ends. Weirdest part is an hour later I kick it on and its like nothing ever happened, no codes stored in the ECU.. Super weird..

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I agree :iagree:with Bushcoat Mr Colorado. you would make a good bodyman.:exclaim: The truck is coming along nicely...:rockon:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94