'00 Silverado AKA Lil' Rusty

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Check out the IAC valve for carbon build up, the pintle may have hung open. Been known to happen.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I have this problem figured out after consulting some people smarter then myself on the subject.

We got some spring weather yesterday but its almost all melted today.

20160417_100131 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The consensus was that the engine wouldn't be able to run at 4k rpm with out the throttle blade being open. Like you mentioned with the IAC they can get stuck and bump the engine speed but nothing I read online was saying more then 1500 rpm with IAC problems so I inspected the throttle cable and found a wire poking out of the jacket. Decided to replace the throttle cable since it seemed to be the most likely culprit.

20160413_083945 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

After removing the old throttle cable I noticed it didn't feel as free in the jacket as the new one. I cut the old one in half and the cable it self looked good but where the wire was poking out of the jacket the liner had a tiny tear in it and was deformed. Not sure if this is what made it stick at 4K rpm or not but at least I feel like I found something that could have caused the problem.

Put it all back together and I was shocked driving it around the block, Its like you took the throttle response knob and turned it from 5 to 10. The old cable must have been way stretched out, I didn't measure the TPS voltage at WOT but I'd be willing to bet that I wasn't getting full throttle blade actuation with the pedal on the floor.

Truck feels great with the new throttle cable installed, spins the tires much easier now. :sombrero:

rayra

Expedition Leader
on the throttle cable, I could not find any adjustment on mine (to the pedal), only on the computerized throttle cable. On my '02 Sub. Had a lot of slack in the cable. So I've temporarily taken out the slack by sleeving the exposed cable with some vac line hose, down at the barrel. The hose-covered portion sits on the throttle plate lever / cam and is trapped / held there and takes out the slack. And as you noted boy is throttle response and WOT much better.

Slack in the pedal cable

subengine03_zps1qlotfka.jpg

slack in the computer controlled cable

subengine04_zpsdeeiiecq.jpg

Shimming the pedal cable and dialing out the slack on the comp cable

subengine06_zpsdvrum3sw.jpg
subengine07_zpsbok2cgbw.jpg

I'll pick up a new throttle cable one of these days. That hose has been in place for 10-11 weeks without incident.

I've got some pics and info on the IAC cleanup in my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic.

Nice rejuvenation of your pickup

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I'll pick up a new throttle cable one of these days. That hose has been in place for 10-11 weeks without incident.

I've got some pics and info on the IAC cleanup in my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic.

Nice rejuvenation of your pickup

Thanks! I was reading through some of that thread the other day, glad my knock sensors are on the outside on this motor and my 8.1L looks like a pain.

The throttle cable is the best 30 bucks I've spent on this truck for sure and only took about 15min to swap out.

Repaired the driver side of the bed today.

20160420_104400 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Trimmed the patch panel and welded it in

20160420_123951 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Rubbed out the filler and its ready for paint, I shot this side black as well being careful not to come up above where the flare will cover.

20160420_140456 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Going to try to get the rockers cleaned up and coated I have some left over Herculiner I think ill use. Once I get that done Ill put the flares on and hopefully be done with body work.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Before:
20150807_154909 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

After:
20160421_134638 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160421_134839 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160421_134809 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I fixed up the rockers with a coulple of small patch panels and some filler before laying on a bunch of Duplicolor rubberized undercoating. Forgot to take pics though.

20160421_134900 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I added up all the receipts and money I have in this thing and came to $2661 including the truck. I'm sure I'm missing some shipping charges and a couple random things so call it 3K so far. Not terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior