Just bought a Disco II

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
You should do a search on Discoweb.org and see what kind of issues and weak points you should prepare for.

grasshopper104

Adventurer
Its a 2004 with 24,000 on it. I'm taking it to a Land Rover dealer to have it looked over tomorrow. Ultimately I want to do some good offroading. I've owned an 83 CJ7 for 8 years now and that beast and I have been through some rough stuff. Looking to do the same here with the Disco. Any of you guys in the san diego area?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Tell us more about yourself and your vehicle... maybe some photos also.

I am not in the San diego area but not to far from some good off road spots you may be inteterested in.

Let us know more on how you plan to use this vehicle and what we can do to help.

Welcome to the Portal!

:26_7_2:

Sharkman,

be a good sport and spice up this thread with some pics of your rig daddio

grasshopper: learn to use correctly the low gear and center difflock. Find a good set of 18inch tires that work for your budget and lifestyle. I like Cooper Discoverers, BFG Mud and or AT, and there are a few others. Watch the oil and use careful maintenance

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm headed to year 2 on my DII. Three months into ownership I was horrified by all of the potential problems I had learned of. I've certainly paid some repair bills. There are a few things that seem to be universal woes, but once you know what to look for, you can often avoid those failures. It's a loooong list. Learn it. That said, the 2004 editions are probably the best of the DIIs.

Have fun!!

grasshopper104

Adventurer
Yeah - my list of repairs has shocked me. Fighting with the dealer I bought if from for the repairs now. Transfer gear box needs replacing - 4K is the quote.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
grasshopper104 said:
Yeah - my list of repairs has shocked me. Fighting with the dealer I bought if from for the repairs now. Transfer gear box needs replacing - 4K is the quote.

4k for a transfer case? The LT230 is a stout TC. Are you sure it is toast? I'd get a second opinion. If it is, pick one up used for $500, or have yours rebuilt. IIRC Land Rover book on a TC install is around $1k in labor, maybe a couple hundred more. It will cost less at an independent. You shouldn't be paying anywhere near $4k though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles