07 Off The Leash Adventure Xterra

sailorcolin

Observer
Everything is more expensive up here, and with the Cdn dollar going down the toilet it makes buying in the US almost equally pricey. My only saving grace is that I live about an hour away from the border, so i can take advantage of a drop ship place just across the line if I order stuff from The States. Getting stuff UPS'd into Canada is akin to highway robbery. But i digress, I was looking at a bunch of winches, and the Superwinch TS9500 Synthetic kept popping up. It seems they have designed the brake outside of the drum to decrease heat build up. I realize this winch is made in China, but that in of itself isn't an issue with me. They can be found for around $600 Cdn (with the synthetic line) which is appealing. I have looked at the Warn winches, and no doubt they seem to be the cream of the crop, but like anything their can always be be other brands of any given item that function equally as well for less cost. I am not in a hurry, so I've got a couple months to find a good deal.

Sounds like you got a plan!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Offset fair lead showed up in the mail. It sure looks like a quality chunk of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Subscribed~!

Just bought a 2013 X myself recently and am lovin' that lil' truck--- yes it IS a truck~! It had 45k miles on it, in perfect condition and it's the S model. Needed to get something for work to get me over the mountains here in SoCal so I would not get stuck at the CHP snow chain checkpoints. Like the look of the 285's an am pondering a possible set for my X but wonder how the extra weight/width affect your fuel mileage.

Meanwhile, my old War Horse is undergoing some extensive mod$ right now so Nissan has to wait for it's future upgrades. Right out of the box though, this vehicle IMHO--- beats out Wranglers and FJ's hands around.

Good luck on your project~!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Subscribed~!

Just bought a 2013 X myself recently and am lovin' that lil' truck--- yes it IS a truck~! It had 45k miles on it, in perfect condition and it's the S model. Needed to get something for work to get me over the mountains here in SoCal so I would not get stuck at the CHP snow chain checkpoints. Like the look of the 285's an am pondering a possible set for my X but wonder how the extra weight/width affect your fuel mileage.

Meanwhile, my old War Horse is undergoing some extensive mod$ right now so Nissan has to wait for it's future upgrades. Right out of the box though, this vehicle IMHO--- beats out Wranglers and FJ's hands around.

Good luck on your project~!

I've never been one to calculate mileage on a vehicle that I own for the purpose of enjoying life. Same can be said for our motorcycles. The Xterra is a thirsty beast though, I can attest to that. The 285's didn't seem to adversely affect anything, and the addition of the new muffler and the intake and K&N filter seemed to have helped boost mid range power a bit, which I guess could offset any loss due to the larger tires.

jhberria

Adventurer
Yes, and a CVT Mt. Shasta seemed to have followed me home yesterday to boot. Can't wait for spring to spring.

Just followed you home, eh? What a pleasant coincidence, hah.

You'll love the tent, I know I love mine. When are you going to get that bumper mounted?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey man, awesome looking Xterra. It's nice to see another on the forums.

Can't wait to see the new mods installed. That CVT tent is awesome by the way. I had a Mt. Shasta, and it was fantastic. Can't wait to see it come together.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Just followed you home, eh? What a pleasant coincidence, hah.

You'll love the tent, I know I love mine. When are you going to get that bumper mounted?

Once it warms up a bit and the snow starts to go away. I only have a small garage and the X will not fit in it. it is packed with a couple motorbikes, camping gear, the ARB bumper, and the Mt. Shasta right now. I picked up a couple decent sleeping bags that are rated for -20'F so we might try to get it installed and get out for some winter camping. I also picked up a set of IPF lights for the bumper, and have a set of replacement stock headlamp assemblies on order too. i will probably try to tackle the bumper install and the lights (and hopefully a winch by then) on the same weekend in the beginning of March sometime.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Hey man, awesome looking Xterra. It's nice to see another on the forums.

Can't wait to see the new mods installed. That CVT tent is awesome by the way. I had a Mt. Shasta, and it was fantastic. Can't wait to see it come together.

Thanks. I've been following your build progress. It has supplied me with some inspiration for sure. I really love the Xterra, it fits our lifestyle to an "X".

Trikebubble

Adventurer
So the Mt. Shasta is now rolling on the X. It took about an hour or so to get the tent mounted up, it was fairly straightforward. Then the temperature dropped and it was a real pita to get the travel cover to slide on the channel and zippered up. We are pretty stoked though. It is very spacious inside and the mattress pad seems comfortable. As the weather starts to get warmer towards the end of the month it will be fine to our the bumper and winch on. I should also have all my suspension goodies here within the next two weeks so I can start tackling that too. I have a pair of new headlights to put in, and a set of IPF lights for the bumper. I've ordered two new batteries through work ( a pair if Deka Intimidators) and have a dual battery wiring kit ready to go as well. Looks like I gave a lot of exciting work ahead of me.

85b93e24e8f3a29739ba6ed5d3146fee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles