M1078 vx. Mitsubishi FUSO 4x4

Tango Zulu

Hello all,

I am trying to decide whether I should get a M1078 or a used manual trans 5 speed 4x4 Mitsubishi FUSO as a project platform on which to build an off road camper. After lurking and researching most of the relevant information on M1078s I could find I think I am now getting research fatigued so I thought I'd ask for people's opinions.

Basically, I am weighing the pros and cons of the M1078 against the 4x4 FUSO. Please add to the list what you can think of or elaborate on other aspects I should consider.

M1078
PROS

* Better off road capabilities than the FUSO (I presume)
* No aftermarket upgrades needed to make it off-road capable.
* Lower initial purchase price.
* 7 gears
* Much more power/torque than the FUSO.

CONS
* Perceived reliability (from what I have read here so far)
* Spare parts cost (I think?)
* Automatic trans (I prefer manual)
* Highway cruising speed compared to the FUSO
* Fuel consumption
* Lower pay load capacity than the FUSO

4x4 FUSO - manual trans (pre-2007)

PROS
* Reliability.
* Highway cruising speed.
* Fuel consumption.
* Ease of maintenance.
* Low operating cost.
* Manual transmission.
* Higher pay load capacity than the M1078

CONS
* Under-powered.
* Weak off road performance (compared to the M1078)
* Initial purchase price higher than M1078
* Cabin space. (I have read if you are over 6'3" it gets cramped. I am 6'3")

Now, just because there are more bullet points in one area than the other does not mean it is better or worse. Not all points are weighed equally.
Any input is much appreciated.

ScottReb

Adventurer
I dont think you will find much support or help here for the 1078. Steel Soldiers has a few with them there. There have been one or two of the civilian ones, BAE if I recall, owned by folks on here. Not a very popular platform.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
A 1078 weighs about 16000 pounds empty. But it'll carry a lot more than a fuso. I've driven tons of them all over the place. They are good trucks. They make lots of power and are simple to drive. You'll need a cdl though as they are air brakes

Tango Zulu

Thanks for the replies.
I do have a thread going on Steelsoldiers. But over there I have the same problem as here but inverted. They know about the M1078 but not about the FUSO lol.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies.
I do have a thread going on Steelsoldiers. But over there I have the same problem as here but inverted. They know about the M1078 but not about the FUSO lol.

And over there if you don't bow down to the holy m35, they focus their anger at you.

LukeH

Adventurer
My immediate reaction is:
How many Fuso chassis do we know of on ExPo that have broken?
How many M1078 chassis?
Regardless of all the rationalisations bandied about in defence of the broken Fuso, it broke.
The M1078 is designed to be soldier proof; the fuso requires you to be careful how you load the chassis.
All the components of the M1078 are off the shelf catalog parts, all readily available. It's basically a parts bin assembly kit with a MAN cab imported from Europe.
The Fuso is dedicated bespoke engineering with the intention of reaching the lightest compromise for a target load capacity- not enough margin for my liking.
I'd take the M1078 without hesitation.

But you have to factor in what your heart says, and no amount of mileage figures, bullet points pros and cons can overcome that.

Tango Zulu

The Unimogs are a bit outside of my budget. And parts AFAIK as still pretty expensive.
After some of the posts in my thread on Steelsoldiers I am actually also evaluating an M923A2. Seems like many think it is a more off road capable platform and apparently also more reliable. I am currently looking into it.
Also a few people mentioned that the center of gravity on the M1078s is so high that rolling over is a real risk.
At any rate I am pretty sure I am gonna go for a MIL type vehicle instead of the FUSO. I still like the FUSOs its just not enough for my needs I think.

trae

Adventurer
Tango Zulu, are you mechanically inclined (or a professional)? I'm curious how you're expecting to maintain one of these vehicles after you purchase one. Apologies for a slight tangent, but I'm really curious about owning one of these behemoths.

GR8ADV

Explorer
The m1078 surely sounds like an intriguing option. For the US and Canada I can not imagine something with less power than the fuso being very much fun. A 55 mph top speed is likely a 45 mph regular speed on the flat and a "make urself a cup of tea" speed with even the smallest of grades. Now for the ROW that will not be a problem. GL!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The Unimogs are a bit outside of my budget. And parts AFAIK as still pretty expensive.
After some of the posts in my thread on Steelsoldiers I am actually also evaluating an M923A2. Seems like many think it is a more off road capable platform and apparently also more reliable. I am currently looking into it.
Also a few people mentioned that the center of gravity on the M1078s is so high that rolling over is a real risk.
At any rate I am pretty sure I am gonna go for a MIL type vehicle instead of the FUSO. I still like the FUSOs its just not enough for my needs I think.

Once again. Steel soldiers are fans of anything but the m1078. The 1078 is way better off-road. Way more power. Why not look at getting the 6 wheel drive version. Lmtvs are reliable. Way more reliable than the 900 series trucks we had. A unimog is cheaper than a fuso. You need to look around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles