Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Honestly I appreciate all the different opinions. I sat in a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk yesterday at the dealer, and it did not have the Push Button Start, and I can see how the key could be an issue with a persons knee (I'm 6'8" so interior space is always an issue). If Jeep still built the Grand Cherokee in the Trailhawk setup, this would be a moot point. After sitting in the Cherokee Trailhawk, I can see a lot of good things about it. However, I think in the long run I'm going to be more happy in the JGC. I have found a couple of companies that make functional rock sliders for the JGC, so I think that may be the best route for me. Now I just have to decide on the V-6, the Hemi, or the EcoDiesel.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
While I have no experience with the new Ecodiesel, I'm a big fan of the Hemi. Fantastic engine and should definitely move the Grand Cherokee along at a nice clip and be capable as far as towing. Never had any issues with my hemi inside or out (well, had to replace an oil pressue sending unit). My only gripe was the increased oil capacity being an increased maintenance cost, but thats hardly anything to be concerned with.

The pentastar is a good engine as well, definitely plenty peppy for a V6 and ours has been surprisingly fuel efficient. I would be interested to see how it handles being in a larger/heavier vehicle like the Grand.

But, I'm probably not qualified to comment on the above because I only owned a hemi in a 2004 dodge magnum and only put 140,000 trouble free miles on it, and our pentastar is in a 2011 challenger.

6'8" would be a problem. I considered the JGC in the diesel, but it was $18000 more than the TH but was a lot nicer.

For my needs of pulling an expo trailer and RTT, the 3.2 was enough engine.

All my add ons are RRO, my biggest complaint is the powder coating. I have the rock rails but am waiting for spring to have them bed lined.

Happy driving in whatever you get.

Oh, keep in mind if you get the tech package you won't be able to run a winch or bull bars

Last edited:

Terex

Adventurer
I've looked at rock rails for my '14 JGC Overland Diesel and from what I read, the Mopar rails would be my choice. They all appear to be difficult to install, but the Mopar rails have better transitions on the ends. I plan to get rails, Mopar offroad rims and more aggressive tires (maybe Duratrac) in the spring. It's been a great vehicle so far and does a great job of towing our trailer.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The biggest functional difference between the KL Cherokee and WK2 Grand Cherokee is the fact that only the Cherokee has a proper mechanical diff lock (Trailhawk version only). This alone will make the KL much more capable off road. I don't know if that's a significant criteria for you, but it's worth considering if you plan to go off-road.

The Grand Cherokee can be lifted for more ground clearance (if you avoid the mixed-reviews air suspension) while the Cherokee cannot. Another potential factor to consider, depending on your intended uses of the vehicles.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
The biggest functional difference between the KL Cherokee and WK2 Grand Cherokee is the fact that only the Cherokee has a proper mechanical diff lock (Trailhawk version only). This alone will make the KL much more capable off road. I don't know if that's a significant criteria for you, but it's worth considering if you plan to go off-road.

The Grand Cherokee can be lifted for more ground clearance (if you avoid the mixed-reviews air suspension) while the Cherokee cannot. Another potential factor to consider, depending on your intended uses of the vehicles.

The Trailhawk's locking diff was a consideration, but it's not a huge factor. More than likely when it comes time to play off road or go hunting I would take my Power Wagon. I'm more interested in a comfortable daily driver that has good fuel economy, and can go play in tame off road situations. I'm also not sold on the fancy air ride system. My fear with the air ride system is that 3 months after the warranty is out it's going to take a digger on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94