Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I know that these are both different vehicles, and they probably excel at different things, but I have to admit I like both of them for different reasons. The reason I'm comparing them, and wanting some opinions, is in a couple of years I'd like to add one or the other to the fleet as a daily driver, and park my 2012 Power Wagon and use it for truck stuff. I know that the Jeep Grand Cherokee would be more comfortable, and the thought of the EcoDiesel has a unique appeal to it, but the price tag is pretty high when you throw in the fancy four wheel drive system (roughly $45,000). The Cherokee Trailhawk looks like it could be a fun buzz around town vehicle that would yield decent fuel economy, and still be fairly capable in tame off road situations, and it can be had for around $35,000. Considering I know very little about both vehicles, I thought I might ask the resident experts for the pro's and con's on each vehicle.

So let me know what y'all think.

Attachments

• JCT.jpg
    JCT.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 53
  • JGC.jpg
    JGC.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 52

Hawkz

Adventurer
I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and I couldn't be happier with it. I have 43k miles on mine and I've had no issues. Jeep made the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for one year, but it was before the diesel was available. You can get just about everything from the Trailhawk package on a regular Grand if you option it correctly. It won't be cheap, but a diesel with the air ride and skid plates seems like an excellent idea.

I haven't driven the little Cherokee, but if I was looking for a commuter I would be tempted. I bought my Grand with the 5.7L v8 so I could still tow and because I'm a fan of the engine. (This is my fourth vehicle with the 5.7)

Mostly I would say it depends on how you are going to use it. If you keep the Power Wagon for hauling and towing duties, I'd be tempted to get the smaller Cherokee.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have driven both. I do like the new Cherokee because of the size and mileage you get. I like the grand because of the extra space. This is a toss up. If I were buying the new Cherokee, I would stick with the small motor, its more than enough!

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Thank you for the input. I've still got time before I have to make any decisions, but I'm going to continue to do research.

kojackJKU

No problem. I had a Cherokee (new regular) rented for a week in montreal this past October. We loved it.

Here's my KL TH. I enjoy it as much as I did my 13 JKU Sahara

47dcbae67e7ae052d9b00c70de6b0266.jpg

9a17ffccec7794d66641f2c50bf7330c.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Rebates a cherokee once for a weekong trip In Utah. I believe it was a lower model and 2wd.

That being said the thing was a piece of junk. Tinny and rattley. We took it down one dirt road and after a mile or two there was a consistent and constant noise of something rubbing on the brakes on one of the wheels that didn't go away in the next few hundred miles we drove it. I felt like it shifted at the wrong times and it couldn't get out of its own way.

The worst thing was that the location of the key and the type of key made it so that I shut the vehicle off while driving two or three times within a couple days. I'm 6'3" so not SUPER tall and my knee would hit the key which was uncomfortable and as mentioned actually turned the engine off a few times.

I suppose my experience was limited but it was more than enough to dissuade me from ever wanting one.

I won't get into the whole 'looks like a fiat sounds like a fiat drives like a fiat so it must be a fiat' side of the thing either.

For what it's worth I daily drive a 2014 fwd patriot, and while it is a poor excuse for a jeep, I prefer it to that new baby cherokee.

And yes I know the trail hawk has a lot of different options both interior and exterior, appearance and mechanical, than the lower end ones, but I'd still have to REALLY be convinced to give one a chance.

Just my two cents, take it for its value.

Whatever you do purchase, be sure to find out for yourself. Be leery of anyone who doesn't own one and gives biased opinions like the post above. Like they say, pics or it didn't happen

I am always confused how a person can make an assumption what can be overland with nothing more than an opinion.

You asked about a TH not a latitude or limited. BTW, mine is keyless

kojackJKU

Walter, I also drove the trailhawk, just not for a week like I did with the north. We loved them both.I got such a good deal on the patriot that's what we bought. We were looking at a Cherokee sport first. and I was going to install the trailhawk goodies at a later date, like skids, the better suspension etc. But I traded in my hardly ableson on the pat, going to add a bunch of off road goodies to it and enjoy it as well!

Kojack, good deal. I recommend against trying to make a model out of another. I have 32,000 so far in 10 months of all terrain driving

kojackJKU

I am not really trying to make a trailhawk out of a sport, I was just making it a little more capable. I have done this a bunch of times now and they are worked great.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Whatever you do purchase, be sure to find out for yourself. Be leery of anyone who doesn't own one and gives biased opinions like the post above. Like they say, pics or it didn't happen

I am always confused how a person can make an assumption what can be overland with nothing more than an opinion.

You asked about a TH not a latitude or limited. BTW, mine is keyless

Yes, a biased opinion based on the fact that I drove one around for several days and did not like it one bit. There were literally physical difficulties with operating the vehicle that presented severe safety issues. Having the engine shut off while merging into traffic on the highway...thats something to be concerned with. I get it, im kinda tall, but not abnormally tall. . He asked for opinions and got them. Sorry you didnt like mine. Not every vehicle is going to please every person. I get it you own one and may take offense to hearing somebody speak negative about it, but that in no way invalidates my opinion and experiences.

BTW I made no mention of whether or not it could overland or was capable or useful.

Last edited:
By stating an opinion that the OP didn't ask for negates in my opinion. If he wanted to know about a 2wd Sport then maybe, but you have 0 experience with a trailhawk

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Alright. Guess I will only talk about and voice my opinions on 1973 Wagoneers, not (full size) Cherokees, not Grand Wagoneers, not J Trucks, not any other year in their lifespan from 1963 to 1991, because even though they are the same vehicle in different trim levels, same platform, they clearly have zero similarieties and are out of my area of expertise.

OP, sorry for derailing your thread. Just tried to offer my opinions and experiences with a vehicle that I assumed shared at least some similarities with the one you were asking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior