XJSuperman's Sears&Roebuck Trailer

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Yeah, ive seen Herculiner in stores, but I wasn't sure if it was gonna be worth it. How well does it hold up outside over time? Does UV affect it at all? Or would Monstaliner or Raptorliner be better? Already ruled out Rustoleom and Duplicolor. I just need to make a decision of my final 3.

And I don't shop at autozone, or advance. Ever. Unless its absolutely necessary. Can't stand the people who work there, or at least I haven't found one I like yet. But walmart (nearly as bad) carries it, as well as some NAPAs and Oreillys I think.

Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts on Monstaliner or Raptorliner???

2t2-crash

Observer
I only have it on the inside but my windows aren't tinted. I haven't noticed it fading at all. Just make sure you prep the surface properly. Sand it and clean it with mineral spirits I believe.. Then roll or brush in the Herculiner.

I don't know about the other two products.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
The trailer will be getting blasted and primed. Can you put Herculiner over clean primer? Or does it have to go on bare metal?

Did you do one coat or two? Three? Rollers and brushes right, that doesn't sound appealing, but itll have to be done regardless I suppose.

2t2-crash

Observer
Yeah, I put mine over paint, primer, and bare metal depending on how much I had to sand and grind.
I did two coats on mine, I'll probably do two or three on my M416 trailer tub.
I used it on the Jeep back in 2003 or so and its only thinned out where my right heel sits by the gas and brake pedals.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I spent the evening yesterday restoring an old telescoping jack from a New Holland square baler.

I removed half of the original mounting built-in to the top of the jack, welded a cap over it (you'd never know), and dismantled the entire thing before cleaning and throwing each piece into the glass bead cabinet. I blasted everything and promptly brought it all home and primed it and let cure by the heat of the woodstove. I painted it in the morning. Then reassembly, and install. The only modification to the trailer will be a 3/4" hole drilled in the side of the tongue, and a small piece welded over the same area. This piece will hold the jack horizontal when I pivot it up out of the way. The welds can always be ground off should I decide return it to stock. And the hole can be welded up. But for now it will serve a purpose and be handier than anything else on the trailer.
158186d1455235030-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1766.jpg

158194d1455235030-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1767.jpg

158210d1455235030-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1769.jpg

158218d1455235030-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1772.jpg

158234d1455235629-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1775.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Today I spent 3.5 hours cleaning up my new-to-me old spare wheel. I had dad demount it at work, and I took the rim back too our shop and threw it in the glass bead cabinet. The cabinet was not happy in the freezing cold, air was freezing in the hoses. The wheel is an original Willys Jeep rim, and has a very very old tire on it, but the tube was bad, so Im waiting on my tube to get here, but in the meantime I have to get this rim bare, heated, primed, and then painted. Then the remount.

It looks like the wheel was red, then later painted white.
158378d1455315266-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1778.jpg

158386d1455315266-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1781.jpg

158394d1455315266-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1782.jpg

158410d1455315266-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1788.jpg

158418d1455315266-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_1790.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Got my rim all primed and painted, matching the two on the trailer in some form of OD green the PO used, its not permanent, but at least it matches. Ill probably change wheel color after the trailer is all painted nice.

Today my 6.00x16 tube came in, so I picked it up and left it with my father to get remounted. Im now starting to check and repack the wheel bearings. Then mount the license plate since I finally got it titled.

Progress....one little step at a time.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Great old trailer. Just a note on these, there are collectors who pay pretty good money for these old trailers, I have a Sears one wheel trailer and was offered 1500 and it's not restored, about like yours as to condition.

If you're going to use it, which is great, don't screw it up modifying the trailer, let everything set inside like a container you can slide in or out would be my suggestion.

If you're going to restore it to her old lory that would be your best way to go IMO.

PS, haven't read the next two pages, I might be too late!

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Well....only a little. I am well aware of its worth and rarity. We have a collection of antique tractors and other farm equipment, along with a couple random cars, so the vintage vehicles thing is not new to me. I am however modifying little things that can be repaired later if need be. Nothing much worse than what it already has.

I really like a restoration that leaves key details or blemishes that may have occured over the item's life. Little things the original owner may have done, or small handy improvements. This trailer is going along this path nicely.

So far the only alterations are:
-Lights and wiring, thats an obvious modern necessity. Im using very small or minimal holes (and using ones there when I bought it).
-jack for the tongue. Its an old jack which adds to the cool factor, fits perfect IMO, but I did have to weld a small plate to it. (That can be cut off and the holes filled later)
-picked up a spare tire and wheel off a willys jeep
-need to mount a license plate without making too many more holes
-I will be adding a rack using the same guidelines; few holes, blend it in, and don't do anything nonreversible

The hitch is original I think, and the axle will be staying along with suspension, the box itself too obviously.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate any and all thoughts on this project.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Well I was just quoted $350 to have this baby sandblasted. Assuming I take it apart first that is. So hopefully soon itll be naked enough for me to fix metal and get some Monstaliner on it.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Wow, I guess I left this sit for awhile....well. I never stopped working on the trailer....YET. So, to catch up...

Its been sandblasted. Quoted $100, charged $200, and I had to leave it there to be redone because the idiots missed 6 big spots because they didn't listen to me, or do what they told me they would do. &E%&^R&*(_*^*%#!!! To that. Never going there again, and I don't care if a good friend works there or not.

So now Ive had each piece apart and coated with POR15 (two coats, followed by POR15's Topcoat) And the hitch, tongue, and fenders are done. The tub is currently what Im working on, doing a little bodywork and getting some of the 22 holes welded up. The tub needs POR15 and Magnet Paints chassis saver (different areas) and the fenders and tub needs Monstaliner. It will be Jungle Love Green. Not too far off from original, and not too far off from matching the Jeep. Im excited.

After the main trailer is done, I will begin accessories and storage.

IMG_2215.jpg
IMG_2206.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Well, Ive let this thread get pretty far behind again. I wish the uploader on here was better, but it hates my computer so i can only upload one pic at a time and that sucks.

Here is my most recent work:
It shows that the bottom of the trailer has two coats of POR-15 on it and two coats of POR15 Topcoat on that. Still have the tub sides, floor and rails to do (with Magnet Paints Chassis saver), along with the axle and hubs. Then Monstaliner.

I have all the small parts coated with POR-15 and what needed Topcoat has it. Im slowly getting everything coated in prep for the liner and want to get it all set for the Iowa Jeep Show on September 24-25. None of this includes all the brackets and accessories I want to add.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Whole tub (minus one spot in the rear I need to reweld) is covered in chassis saver. Bottom is POR-15ed and Topcoated. Sides, rails, inside are all Magnet Paints chassis saver (which I am not a fan of) and waiting now until I get more POR15 (on the way) and get that last spot welded up. Then the axle, hubs, and monstaliner need done.
173313d1471316050-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2322.jpg

174009d1472507793-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-20160828_100924.jpg

174025d1472507793-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-20160828_100943.jpg

174065d1472508045-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-20160828_142037.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
So the restoration is done but the mods have not begun! And Im slacking in updates....ill get to that soon. Man, a better uploader would be awesome on this site.
175426d1474934704-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2481.jpg

175434d1474934704-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2482.jpg

175442d1474934704-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2489.jpg

175450d1474934704-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2490.jpg

175466d1474934869-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2528.jpg
175474d1474934869-xjsupermans-jeep-trailer-img_2533.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94