RTT for family of 4 questions...

Scoutman

Explorer
I have the CVT Mt. MkKinley. We got it in 2014 when the kids were 5 and 2 and still works fine. I'm not familiar with the Tepui, so I can't comment on the differences. We used to be ground tent campers, but the RTT works great for us; I'm sold on them. I can see that in a few years, it might get a little tight, but it's just for sleeping, not hanging out, so I plan on it working for quite a few more years. We have the annex, but honestly, I've never even put it on yet as we have enough room without it.

We're getting ready to pull the trigger on a McKinley shortly. Our kids are 8 and 5 so we're probably in a similar spot. The McKinley seems to be the biggest RTT available that I've found and probably the best option for 4 people where 2 of those are grade school age or older. At 87" of sleeping width that makes about 22" of space per person which I'm sure my sleeping bag is at least that wide probably wider. I hope it works out.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Two Words: Exped Megamat: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-mega-12-m

Why, specifically, would it be horrible?

I'm considering going to a RTT for myself, my wife and 2 kids (8 months and 5 years) because they seem to be the best balance between ground tents and tent trailers, at least to address a couple of issues that I have found with ground tents. In the last 2 years, we have tried a medium sized square ground tent (worked alright with 1 kid but no way it was large enough for 2 kids) and a much larger 3 room tent (colossal amount of space but substantial size when packed and long set up and tear down time.) We also had issues sleeping on a rocky beach at a local fishing hole.

My problems with ground tents:

-packed size
-comfortable mattress (air mattresses are uncomfortable, good foamies don't pack small)
-uneven ground
-set up/tear down time. With 2 kids on wheeling trips, we are already the slowest to pack up on wheeling trips chasing a bunch of singles and couples, let alone with the added complication of playing tetris in the cargo area

Also, I'm not ready to go to a trailer, because a tent trailer is too big for skinny trails so I'd still need to have a 2nd camping solution for trail days, and a small trailer generally ends up as little more than an expansion of the cargo area, compromising on many of the benefits of a trailer.

So, I figured an RTT manages both (stores the sleeping bags, comfortable mattress, goes wherever the vehicle goes) knowing that nothing is perfect (weight, aerodynamics, high roll center). I figure set up and tear down should be a bunch faster. What are the drawbacks that would make it so awful? (And what would you suggest to use for a family of 4)?

MOguy

Explorer
I couldn't imagine using an RTT esp with my family. I know they appeal to many but I can imagine going somewhere, setting up camp and not being able to use my vehicle and space ican be tight. When we go we like to check out the area and don't want a crowded living area.

We trailer camp almost exclusively but when I do tent camp I want enough room to stand. I like a cot and have the room to move around.

I am not sure what vehicle you have but if room is tight consider a tralier if terrain allows, even if just a cargo trailer. It could be less money and far far more versatile. If the appeal of an RTT is that strong to you there are really cool setups where people out RTTS on trailers like the one pictured above.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Aloha everyone. Thanks so much to all of you for your input on this subject matter. My wife and I have just bought a Howlingmoon Stargazer 1.6m with Annex. It's not the 1.8 or 2.4 like we originally hoped for but its a good compromise for the overall weight and space it will take up on our Disco4. I'll be sleeping downstairs in the annex as soon as my kids are too big and kick me out :) I'll post pics as soon as I get everything setup on the vehicle.

zimm17

Observer
Kids are 7, 5 and 3. Tent is a CVT Mt Adams.
View attachment 361557

What trailer and roof rack is that? I'm trying to decide if I want a trailer and XL RTT for us. I have about the same jeep. We have 2 boys aged 4 and 6. The only big downside for a RTT for us is no potty for late night or a shower for multiple days. My other option is a small travel trailer (RV type). At least with the adventure trailer, you can unhook and leave camp for exploring.

daPitbull

Adventurer
Kids are 2, 4, and 6. We've got a 40 lbs staffy bull too. We all fit fine, in fact lots of room for the kids to thrash around in their sleep lol. Our youngest climbs up and down herself. Its funny reading about late night pee events being a downside, we've never had that issue, yet.

CVT Mt Adams on an off-road trailer

surly

surly adventurer
What trailer and roof rack is that? I'm trying to decide if I want a trailer and XL RTT for us. I have about the same jeep. We have 2 boys aged 4 and 6. The only big downside for a RTT for us is no potty for late night or a shower for multiple days. My other option is a small travel trailer (RV type). At least with the adventure trailer, you can unhook and leave camp for exploring.
Sorry for the late reply.
Trailer: Schutt Xventure XV2
Rack: 80/20 and Schutt uprights. It came with the trailer. We're looking into making a Frontrunner or Rhino Rack replacement.

We have 5 and the trailer works great for us. We tend to pick pretty good camp spots and hang out there. Our exploring is either on foot from there or done after we break camp. The breaks from driving is good for our kids.

MOguy

Explorer

I know you have heard this before but kids get bigger and bigger and want more and more room.

surly

surly adventurer
I know you have heard this before but kids get bigger and bigger and want more and more room.

True. Our JK is tight with three in the back. Tent wise were fine though we do have an unused CVT Rainier for the JK. When they get big enough to complain about space well use that or pitch a ground tent too.
We're only in the tent for sleeping and it's a treat to sleep together (right now). That might change when we get a 12yo. Graham and Luisa seem to make it work with two teenagers though. We'll see when we get there!

MOguy

Explorer
True. Our JK is tight with three in the back. Tent wise were fine though we do have an unused CVT Rainier for the JK. When they get big enough to complain about space well use that or pitch a ground tent too.
We're only in the tent for sleeping and it's a treat to sleep together (right now). That might change when we get a 12yo. Graham and Luisa seem to make it work with two teenagers though. We'll see when we get there!

I have An 01 Wrangler and at this point as a family we rarely take it very far. It is just too crowded. We have an 04 4Runner which is great for road trips and dirt roads but even though it is 4x4 it is the a good choice for an off road vehicle.

I would love to get a 1st gen 4Runner.

KLT88YJ

Observer
Family of 5 (8, 3 and 1 yo), plus our shepherd, makes 6. We have a CVT Mt. Rainier with the annex, works well for us. I will second the mattress thickness. While in ok with it, the boss really isn't.
7ed7bf522e151b49f0d0aedfd1de7bfb.jpg
77ab42e65c659f8fc2227aae0c3a4e84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Family of 5 (8, 3 and 1 yo), plus our shepherd, makes 6. We have a CVT Mt. Rainier with the annex, works well for us. I will second the mattress thickness. While in ok with it, the boss really isn't.
7ed7bf522e151b49f0d0aedfd1de7bfb.jpg
77ab42e65c659f8fc2227aae0c3a4e84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles