Reefry's 1st Gen Tundra

Reefry

Observer
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this site for a little while and figured I'd make an account already. My name is Ryan and I'm currently attempting to build a 2000 Toyota Tundra into an all around adventure vehicle.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying a 2wd rig instead of 4wd. When I first purchased my truck I had aspirations to build something resembling a desert race truck that will haul *** through the desert at incomprehensible speeds to the point where it didnt matter if I had only 2 wheels pushing me through all of it.... But then I got a camper shell. And I also started taking my truck on little weekend camping trips here and there and realized that I much more enjoyed adventuring rather than moving in one direction really really fast. They both have their perks so I'm hoping to build my truck into something that can handle a bit of both.

Which leads me to here! I'm looking for more ideas on how to utilize my bed space and cab to be a little bit more storage friendly so I may carry more gear while still being organized. There is a ton of good info and builds on here that I'm already drawing inspiration from.

I've also already set up my camper shell with two 100w Renogy solar panels on top of my roof rack which powers a 12v Whynter FMG-65 Quart fridge. Its been very useful on my little trips but I plan on using it for some big expeditions soon. It just needs a little more optimizing.

I'll try to figure out uploading the pictures.

rickashay

Explorer
Might be soe restrictions on your acount until you reach a certain post count.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of us Tundra people around and some great builds to gather ideas from. Stoked to see yours progress!

Reefry

Observer
not to be an ***.just sell the truck and get a 05+ tundra 4x4 thank me later

I think I might be far too invested into this one ... Im already looking into 4x conversions and it doesn't seem like its too much time or money.

GTV

Might be soe restrictions on your acount until you reach a certain post count.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of us Tundra people around and some great builds to gather ideas from. Stoked to see yours progress!

I'm in the same boat... 2000 AC V8 2WD... Had it for over ten years now but I've only recently got the itch for 4WD... I'll eventually trade up to a 2005-06. They also have more power and a 5 speed.

Reefry

Observer
I'm in the same boat... 2000 AC V8 2WD... Had it for over ten years now but I've only recently got the itch for 4WD... I'll eventually trade up to a 2005-06. They also have more power and a 5 speed.

The 4.0 V6 Tundras put out more horsies than the early V8's! The 5 speed is pretty cool as well, if you can find one.

FJR Colorado

Explorer

06 is the best year, IMO.

And yeah, just get a 4x4. Even with popularity of 1st gen Tundys going through the roof, good deals are still out there for the patient ones...

In my part of the country, I sometimes need 4WD just to get out of the driveway. Outside of good tires, it's probably the single most important "must have"....

dyogim

Explorer
Get a selectable locker for the rear and a winch up front. Those 2, will be a lot better than 2WD. You may not even need to convert to 4WD. If after those two upgrades and several outings you still need to convert then, pull the trigger and start finding parts. The conversion isn't bad to do, just a lot of parts. You could even swap in a manual transfer case and hook up a switch to the front actuator to engage/disengage it.

If you haven't already done so, there's a lot of great modifications and configurations for the bed here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ur-Truck-Shell-Top-Modifications-and-Add-Ons-! Looking at your avatar, you're set-up for long travel. Is the rear set-up for long travel with the shocks coming through the bed?

Reefry

Observer
06 is the best year, IMO.

And yeah, just get a 4x4. Even with popularity of 1st gen Tundys going through the roof, good deals are still out there for the patient ones...

In my part of the country, I sometimes need 4WD just to get out of the driveway. Outside of good tires, it's probably the single most important "must have"....

Here in Southern California we only really need 4 wheel drive recreationally. But I'm starting to wonder if I really should just buy a 4x4 Tundra and switch around all the fun parts to the new one. I think it will be a fun project but for now I have had zero problems getting stuck (knock on wood) so I'll wait it out to see how serious I am about it.

Get a selectable locker for the rear and a winch up front. Those 2, will be a lot better than 2WD. You may not even need to convert to 4WD. If after those two upgrades and several outings you still need to convert then, pull the trigger and start finding parts. The conversion isn't bad to do, just a lot of parts. You could even swap in a manual transfer case and hook up a switch to the front actuator to engage/disengage it.

If you haven't already done so, there's a lot of great modifications and configurations for the bed here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ur-Truck-Shell-Top-Modifications-and-Add-Ons-! Looking at your avatar, you're set-up for long travel. Is the rear set-up for long travel with the shocks coming through the bed?

Tons of good ideas on that thread for sleeping platforms, thank you! I've already shown a couple to my co-worker who has excellent carpentry skills and he said he would be more than happy to help me create one.

Also I was contemplating getting an LSD at the same time I re-gear for my 35" KO2's. But if an ARB selectable locker is the more proper way to go then I wouldn't mind saving up the extra bucks for it. Some max tracks and a winch would be the perfect addition as well. And yes the front end of the truck is long travel ready! I'm picking up a partial camburg kit within the next 2 weeks! As for the rear I plan on going with an under the bed set up so I can keep all my much needed camping space.

dyogim

Explorer
Tons of good ideas on that thread for sleeping platforms, thank you! I've already shown a couple to my co-worker who has excellent carpentry skills and he said he would be more than happy to help me create one.

Also I was contemplating getting an LSD at the same time I re-gear for my 35" KO2's. But if an ARB selectable locker is the more proper way to go then I wouldn't mind saving up the extra bucks for it. Some max tracks and a winch would be the perfect addition as well. And yes the front end of the truck is long travel ready! I'm picking up a partial camburg kit within the next 2 weeks! As for the rear I plan on going with an under the bed set up so I can keep all my much needed camping space.

An LSD is good for traction on the pavement, but when you are off the paved road the locker is hands down better.

Reefry

Observer
54f5331e8881d2ed78c91f76e1a9707d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior