1986 Lance Squire LS3000 Overland Build

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Nor Cal Powerstroke great job on all of this. I have been have some dryrot that I have been planning on tackling on my Lance. Did you damage any of the aluminum siding while removing it? If so where did you find new stuff? Did you re do the floor too. Please post more pictures when you get the chance. Good luck!

Matt

I did not have to replace the whole floor just the floor/seat ledge in the dinette. It was only rotten about 1" back from the main wall, but i decided to replace the whole piece. I did not damage any of the aluminum siding so I will not have to purchase any. The front nose is going to be wrapped in black diamond deck sheeting. I will be deleting the front overhang window so it is one solid piece of diamond deck in the front. I put the floor back in the dinette today, but didnt take any photos. Its been raining alot up here so I havent worked on the camper much. I did officially finish replacing all the rotten spots, just have to reassemble the exterior trim pieces. After that its just cosmetic upgrades and creature comfort upgrades on the interior. I already have all the upgrades for the interior i was just waiting to finish all the demolition work before the wife and I start on the interior paint, lighting, floor coverings, seat cushions and bed area.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Great to see a restoration of a old school hardside TC. I have a old sales brochure of '87 Squire TC has some basic specs info of the LS3000 and other models. I was going to toss it out but if you would like it PM your address and I will send it too you.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
That would be great! Thank you. I have been having trouble finding brochures with basic specs for this old camper. Lance said they lost most of the older model brochures in an earthquake or something, thats what it said on their facebook page anyways.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Great to see a restoration of a old school hardside TC. I have a old sales brochure of '87 Squire TC has some basic specs info of the LS3000 and other models. I was going to toss it out but if you would like it PM your address and I will send it too you.

I want to thank fellow member STREGA for the sales brochure literature! Its a very cool color advertisement for this old Lance.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Finally had a bunch of sunny days in a row.
I had to trim the rear side wings to make for a better fit in my f350. The side wings overlapped the taillights. I cut 1.5" off each side. i used pneumatic air shears to get perfect straight cut on the aluminum siding.
re-Installed passenger rear jack and bracket after corner dinette rebuild.
painted the hot water heater door, installed new spring loaded metal door keeper, serviced the hot water heater.
installed a stainless steel door catch.
rebuilt the sewer and shower drain compartment on the rear driver side, replaced with fernco stainless band clamps, checked for leaks.
New stainless steel tie down loops.
I will be putting on 1.5"x1.5" aluminum trim along the lower edges of both sides tomorrow and prepping the underneath and fender wells for herculiner coating Saturday.
Hoping to take it on a maiden voyage sometime end of March
I still have wiring, stereo, vinyl flooring, and painting to do on the interior
As well as front overhang window delete and wrap the nose in black aluminum diamond plate.

IMAG1338_zpsmfl2r1od.jpg

IMAG1353_zpspwmyfqek.jpg

IMAG1354_zpsysle3uel.jpg

IMAG1356_zpsldv6ypmb.jpg

IMAG1347_zps9awc6zd4.jpg

IMAG1348_zps0ut6jssw.jpg

IMAG1349_zps15cjvha1.jpg

IMAG1350_zpsg36o0y1e.jpg

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Got a little more work done today.
Cleaned out the old propane tank and mounted the correct tank, used a forklift tank mounting kit powder coated black. its a lot more heavy duty than I was expecting.
Made a new sewer tank support the old one was a thin rusty piece of flat bar, that was bowed and letting the tank sag. lined the top of the support with some foam padding.
I have to say the help today was pretty LAZY!
IMAG1359_zpssyqvqz4v.jpg

IMAG1366_zpsq5hqiy0r.jpg

IMAG1367_zpsxkgva33q.jpg

IMAG1368_zpsuvpus5b8.jpg

IMAG1357_zpsijtge8cv.jpg

IMAG1361_zpsqodzrxii.jpg

IMAG1362_zpsmktytxc6.jpg

Lance990

Observer
Great job on the restoration! It's strange how when you see this kind of repair work you start thinking how easy it might be to build your own from scratch. I know that is an illusion but these campers are not made out of rare materials. My Lance 990 is wood framed as well with aluminium siding and I prefer both. The framing is flexible for off road travels and the aluminium is easy to replace if damaged. Fortunately, my 990 is in great shape and I am very diligent about keeping everything sealed so no wood rot. My camper is heavy, though, with a wet weight of 3,235 lbs. The floor length of 11" 3" really keeps me from going off road too much. I still love my camper, though!

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Great job on the restoration! It's strange how when you see this kind of repair work you start thinking how easy it might be to build your own from scratch. I know that is an illusion but these campers are not made out of rare materials. My Lance 990 is wood framed as well with aluminium siding and I prefer both. The framing is flexible for off road travels and the aluminium is easy to replace if damaged. Fortunately, my 990 is in great shape and I am very diligent about keeping everything sealed so no wood rot. My camper is heavy, though, with a wet weight of 3,235 lbs. The floor length of 11" 3" really keeps me from going off road too much. I still love my camper, though!

You are totally correct! there is nothing complicated about these old slide ins. This camper has been a great inexpensive project so far, and I really like the way the interior space is used, without having a rear overhang.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Put some aluminum trim on the side edges, 1.5"x1.5". I used masking tape to run a nice clean bead of white silicone along the top edge of the trim piece, I dont have pictures of it yet. Used putty tape under the trim as well

IMAG1372_zpsa5c0qv6u.jpg

IMAG1371_zps0e5ocd2p.jpg

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Ripped out the front window and framed it in for the delete
My wife Cut out 48 piece of r tech for the nose cone insulation! That was a messy job. She installed them herself too.
I am finally ready for the black aluminum diamond deck for the entire front end, I think it will look really good and wont be prone to leaking anymore with the front window gone.
IMAG1508_zpssnmq8wtl.jpg

IMAG1509_zpsnagouzuc.jpg

IMAG1513_zpsayrbj2oc.jpg

IMAG1514_1_zpsv5axlmz5.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Worked on the overhead bed today got the rest of the bed decked in and sealed up tight. I think the rtech in the nose will keep the bed airtight and warm.
The metal for the exterior is not here yet so I started on interior cosmetics since all the messy dry rot repair is done inside!
Did some carpeting with remnants
I also sanded and re-painted the metal cover for the power inverter.
Removed the escape hatch vent over the bed. It cant be repaired so I had to order a new one.
Will start paint and flooring tomorrow

IMAG1544_zpsmuifbewk.jpg

IMAG1541_zpsfju5naio.jpg

IMAG1540_zpsetv3lbq6.jpg

IMAG1545_zpsca2tpjs6.jpg

IMAG1546_zpsokl9wra2.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Looks great. You should be ready for the season.....

Thanks, I think I might make it!

Got the interior all closed in up in the bed, the transition piece is from home depot, I was surprised to see it is made in the USA. I used the leftover fiberglass white board from the rear door rebuild to close it all in.
I just have to add some r tech from the outside and skin the nose over with the new black diamond deck aluminum sheeting. I still need to cut a new kick panel for the step up into the bed. I also need to bedline the fender wells, they are pressure washed and ready to paint.

IMAG1551_zpsmg35etjc.jpg

IMAG1553_zpshnrezggm.jpg

IMAG1554_zps2qvey2lh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne