1986 Lance Squire LS3000 Overland Build

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I originally tied this build in with my F350 build thread but thought I should separate it so more people could view it. Hopefully this build thread inspires people to tackle their own projects. The build is being done on a fairly small budget. In order to save money and repurpose building materials. I am using alot of recycled wood and project leftovers that I have lying around the house. I am also using alot of simpson hardware to strengthen the structure.

Its a 1986 Lance Squire LS3000. It had 2 main spots of dry rot in the walls due to leaking windows where they seal to the siding. Leaks in the passenger front bed overhang and rear passenger dining area are being repaired.

I paid $900 for it and everything works which is nice. I also got all the Happy Jack Tie Downs with the purchase. Its needs alot of cleanup and cosmetic work

Pictures of the camper on craigslist:

mylance_zpsctx9qswf.jpg

mylance2_zpsrz9uvxv5.jpg

The day I picked it up. The tiregate still closes too!!!

IMAG0818_zpsfeg3btx7.jpg

IMAG0905_zpswduks2gn.jpg

Got all the rot pulled out of the bed, got a bunch of 2x4's and plywood to rebuild the bed area. Also got some 2x4's to reinforce the roof at the main seam. Someone walked on the roof and broke some of the supports so water was pooling at the seam and leaking. Not much wood holding these roofs up!
I think I will do a coat of snow roof too.

IMAG0821_zpscepn7pdm.jpg

IMAG0822_zpsnfd20g59.jpg

IMAG0897_zpsyfyeclhw.jpg

Someone walked on the roof and broke some of the supports so water was pooling at the seam and leaking. Not much wood holding these roofs up! I used extra 2x4's that were already painted and left over from a previous project. I put a 1/2" thick 8"x36" piece of Rtech up the middle of the roof line in between the front and rear ventsThis makes the water roll off the sides perfectly. Rain water pooling on the roof between the front and rear vents was a common problem on these old Lances. I still have to put retch insulation in the ceiling and new interior panels. I have a couple inexpensive ideas for paneling that I think everyone will like.

Sorry about the weird green glare in the pictures I have a green tarp over the camper.
IMAG0902_zpsvkyrzg9r.jpg

IMAG0903_zps38mjrat6.jpg

IMAG1093_zpso592wmgj.jpg

IMAG1096_zpslskhezfi.jpg

IMAG1097_zpsr536vrbm.jpg

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
My dad had some old scissor steps that he has been kicking around the shop for years. He almost threw them away a couple years ago and I told him I would get a camper someday so he finally gave them to me for free and was happy to get them out of his shop. Mounted them up today with stainless hardware. Drilled an tapped 4 holes in the bumper for the bracket that allows the steps to be removable.
IMAG0884_zpslyfnpbtt.jpg

IMAG0883_zpsyltdasbf.jpg

IMAG0882_zpspbfomfvx.jpg

Made a Latch to keep the steps from falling down while driving.

IMAG0944_zpscjdew3ms.jpg

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I completely rebuilt the rear door. It was rotten at the bottom and was not built strong enough from the factory in my opinion.
I was able to buy the white fiberglass board from home depot!
I used all stainless steel screws and rebuilt the lock mechanism while i had it apart.
I used simpson 90 degree ties in all the corners as well as liquid nails.
IMAG0915_zpsuxftw87x.jpg

IMAG0916_zpsgqkilhvv.jpg

IMAG0917_zpschwycws3.jpg

IMAG0918_zpsfuz3es1v.jpg

IMAG0919_zpsxbonr5i4.jpg

IMAG0920_zpshhmilc5p.jpg

IMAG0934_zpsu6ntsust.jpg

IMAG0936_zpsrwapx6kr.jpg

IMAG0938_zpscuaoa23h.jpg

IMAG0939_zps6uymleym.jpg

IMAG0941_zpsqu1bwjda.jpg

IMAG0942_zpsxkeiug5a.jpg

IMAG0940_zpsggwvi6oy.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Got the rot in the overhang all repaired. I will rebuild the framework for the bed area now that I have good side wood to attach to! I used simpson straps and liquid nails here also, fit it in like a jigsaw puzzle piece.

IMAG1026_zps7frzg4da.jpg

IMAG1027_zpsu6nsvi2j.jpg

IMAG1025_zpsnhlbdugb.jpg

IMAG1040_zps1b3ojens.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Got the framework all in today and went to the hardware store and bought some 1.5" r-tech insulfoam, and some smooth sanded birch plywood for the bed decking.

IMAG1041_zpsw4tkbyuf.jpg

IMAG1042_zps5ia0sbn8.jpg

IMAG1048_zpskq0fzg5a.jpg

Fresh Cut Replacement Nose ribs. Used foam padding in between the metal and nose ribs.
IMAG1043_zpswqqfqns8.jpg

IMAG1044_zpshjcjxtqy.jpg

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Nose Ribs installed and strapped to the bed framework using simpson straps bent at an angle.

IMAG1054%201_zpspf9gikrt.jpg

IMAG1055_zpskwwnfcbl.jpg

IMAG1060_zpspr7devfz.jpg

Sanded Birch Plywood installed for the bed decking.
IMAG1061_zpsrgtxlllb.jpg

IMAG1062_zpsoz5fyrsg.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
NorCal,
Nice work here. The Lance is a great size for off-roading, especially on THE classic Ford F-350 (1999-2003) with THE classic transmission, the ZF6. The only issue I can see is the 90 foot turning circle with leaf springs up front. (My bro has a '99 with the ZF6 and a 9.5 OUTFITTER!)

Do you have any original specs on this chassis? I don't have Lance manuals that go back that far. Most of the wood framing in Lances was stapled together using a BIG industrial stapler. They surmised that glue wasn't going to hold up. Then again, the glues are better now, maybe stronger than the wood itself. Here is the 'before' and 'after' on some dry rot replacement boards:

Does it have a wet bath or is it a porta? Ice box or 2-3 way fridge? Rigid foam insulation is the way to retrofit.
I'll be following your progress.
jefe

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
NIce work on the repairs!! mine looked the same way! It has a wet bath and a gas/electric dometic fridge. I was able to find user manuals for the refrigerator, heater, power converter as well as the hot water heater. i also have a pdf file owners manual for it, that i got form a gentleman on rv.net. the turning radius is a little rough but being a regular cab it helps alittle.....

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Got most of the framing done today and the dinette floor piece cut and test fit. Fit was perfect! The days are short and cold up in northern california right now so work is a little slow. In addition I have a hundered other projects going every weekend. Supposed to be 27 degrees again tonight so everything will be frozen again in the am!
I used various simpson straps, liquid nails and stainless screws
Tomorrow the dinette floor will go in, r-tech insulation, new interior wall panel then the window.

IMAG1154_zpsulolzcqp.jpg

IMAG1152_zpskicgk77i.jpg

IMAG1151_zpshxfvgy2d.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice repair man! That Lance is the one model that I'd consider. Everything keeps getting wider,taller and heavier.
Aside from the turning radius as mentioned,fine platform.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Thank you. It will be like new when Im done with it. Like you said the new ones are getting so big and heavy. I have been waiting for One Up offroad to release their coilover conversion lift kit for the 99-03 superduty, but they have not released it to the public yet. Clay from RiffRaff Diesel has a prototype on his 99 build truck. If they dont release it soon I may go with full tractions kit.
darkjedi351 is running the kit and posted some pics of it here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50573-Ford-Fullsize-Thread-!!!!?p=1989735#post1989735

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was at Carli Suspension many years ago and they were installing a coilover system in an Excursion. It came out nice.

BajaSurfRig

Nor Cal Powerstroke great job on all of this. I have been have some dryrot that I have been planning on tackling on my Lance. Did you damage any of the aluminum siding while removing it? If so where did you find new stuff? Did you re do the floor too. Please post more pictures when you get the chance. Good luck!

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles