The Jeepenwagen 2015 JKU Wrangler adventure mobile

machine1

Explorer
Wow. You must of had a faulty axle. I hammer mine pretty good an I have never broken anything up front. Thank god for warranty.

Yeah, I was taken by surprise! First thing they asked me when I called the dealership was if it was lifted or had larger tires. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I don't think you have to worry, I am lifted 2", run 33's, and use mine ALOT off road in the backcountry here and never had an issue with any shafts.

kojackJKU

Did they give you any information on what broke and why?

-Dan

By the sounds of it, the dealer was more worried with if he had a lift and bigger tires on it. I can tell you that This is an isolated incedent. I have wheels 10's of thousands of miles on my rig with no issues like that. I have 185,000 on my rig with at least 1/2 of that in the back country. I only replaced my drag link and tie rod this past month....over 180,000 on it. The shafts etc are all original. besides the seals of course. But they are crap. Next spring, I am installing a bunch of other things like new teraflex seals, true tracs front and rear, and 4.10 gears.

machine1

Explorer
They told me that either I was turning on a dry road in 4WD or I was rock crawling causing it to break like that.

I'm just glad they covered it and it didn't take an act of congress.

Kojack I'm hoping to get that kind of mileage out of my JKU.

kojackJKU

Yeah. I am 10000000000000% happy with ours. We love it, and use it as it was intended. I have a great dealer that is mod friendly and no questions asked if I did break anything. I am friends with the family. But they sell all kinds of modded vehicles and warranty all of it. LIke I said, that was a faulty shaft. You will have no issues going forward. or reverse!

That axle is clearly a manufacturing defect and they knew it. I have seen a lot of breakage like that but in 40 year old axles and a few Dana 35 rear axles in the YJ era. In an abusive break an axle with proper metallurgy will shatter and break into pieces. Obviously that one didn't meet the manufacturer's quality control. Chances are that you will be able to do whatever you will be doing and not have to worry about that happening again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

machine1

Explorer
Found an opportunity to go back to the OHV park and finish my route I planned before breaking the axle.

Nothing broke this time! Since I was leading the group I didn't get to take many pictures.

Getting here was tough and I was finished for the day. Lots of scraping underneath, I'm not going back until I get some tires.

26173049976_d14764ba0d_b.jpg

The other JK that was with us in the morning had to leave, so we only got a group picture minus 1 vehicle.

25596289863_1c52f3072c_b.jpg

The trails have been washed out pretty bad, I don't think we'll be bringing any more stock Subarus out there until some trail maintenance is done.

26199000075_9110247def_b.jpg

26106532062_b315c11318_b.jpg

Took a break and watched this guy in his 4Runner try to conquer this climb after lunch.

26223923501_a749a26ea4_b.jpg

I have a set of five Rubicon wheels sitting in the garage now. Trying to decide between 255/80R17 or 285/75R17 (33 or 34), leaning more towards the size that fits without any additional work.

We have two upcoming trips, BMRA in Gilmer at the end of May and Hill Country Soft Road Wine Tour at the end of August. Those will probably be my next updates unless I get some tires earlier and want to go test them out at the local OHV again.

kojackJKU

I would go with the tried and true 285/70/17. I run this size and its awesome for on, off and every road in between.

kojackJKU

Yes, But you need wheel spacers or wheels with a little more back spacing to keep the tires from rubbing on lock....and its very minor rubbing. I had teraflex spacers and they worked great.

machine1

Explorer
Took an extended weekend trip to CO. We went to Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods, up Pikes Peak, and visited Palo Duro Canyon on the way back home.

27291981702_d755a9e987_b.jpg

27390097395_40e2c7d7b8_b.jpg

27291627612_aa75094fa2_b.jpg

27356177876_6187d235ec_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles