New hiking boots or sneakers to hike the Bruce Trail

762X39

Explorer
I decided to hike the Bruce Trail end to end over the next few years as time permits. This past fall, I hiked the local section (Iroquoia) over 4 days averaging 30km or so each day with the local group (solved the logistics problem by parking our vehicles at each days endpoint and taking a bus to the trail head for the day).
Almost 75% of the hikers wore what looked like hiking sneakers while the rest wore traditional looking hiking boots. I am thinking of going the sneaker route since each day will be 20 to 40 km and I don't have to carry more than a daypack. I am used to wearing heavy hiking boots while hunting but I think it is overkill for the Bruce.
Any suggestions...:coffee:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I recently did a week long hike in the Khumbu Valley of Nepal. Our group was moving pretty quickly, averaging 7-11 miles per day, at altitudes around 12,000ish feet. The terrain wasn't too rugged, but it did have lots of steps and rocks.

I am a boot nerd. For this trip I wanted maximum support, good mobility, and ultimate low weight. The La Sportiva Trango Cube was the ticket. They are...loud. Why they made them the same color as a bag of Skittles is a bummer, but they are spectacular. I literally pulled them out of the box, shoved them in my luggage, and went. 50 miles out of the box and they were incredible.

Bar none the most comfortable and supportive boots I've worn in years. The low weight, seamless upper construction and low midsole stack made them hike like running shoes.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/trango-cube-gtx

762X39

Explorer
Wow, they are... spectacularly loud. It's a good thing they were comfortable but I don't think I could bring myself to wear them. Can you suggest something a bit more... subdued looking? :coffee:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Wow, they are... spectacularly loud. It's a good thing they were comfortable but I don't think I could bring myself to wear them. Can you suggest something a bit more... subdued looking? :coffee:
I can. :)

Also from La Sportiva are the Core High. I used the lows as my go-to shoe for most of my travels this year, including my primary shoe for most of my travels that involved everything from romps through the airport, to five days of walking, walking, and more walking in Kathmandu. The too are supremely light, very waterproof, and have far more structure than the typical trail runner. The outsole is fantastic with the best traction of any shoe I've used. Read up on the 3D GoreTex. It's neat stuff and it does work.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/core-high-gtx

My other much-loved light boot/shoes come from Salewa. All of them are great but I like the Alp Trainer Mid. http://www.salewa.us/en/men-alp-trainer-mid-gore-tex-boots.html

762X39

Explorer
I can live with the looks of the Core High. MEC sells La Sportiva so I can try them out locally. Thanks for your help.:coffee:

tarditi

Explorer
I have converted - was Army Infantry and convinced high-top hikers were the only way to travel by foot... now, after several AT section hikes, I'm convinced that trail runner type shoes are superior in most conditions. I also avoid goretex - would rather my shoes drain that retain the water that will work into your shoes anyway.

Currently, I have Merril Moabs and Saloman XA Comp 7s which I alretnate. Both are great, but the Salomans are really the most comfortable thing I've ever worn.

psykokid

Explorer
I am a trail runner convert as well. I was indoctrinated on the high top hiking boot mentality as a kid in scouts. Now as an adult having recently gotten back into hiking in the local foothills in the LA area as well as a few trips up to the sierras and white mountains I am solidly sold on trail runners for hiking and backpacking with a mid 30ish lb load. I've logged 300 miles on trail since the end of July and all of them have been in trail runners save for my Langley trip back in October which was a 20 mile trip in Oboz Sawtooth Lows. They didn't quite do it for me which I found odd since I've owned two pairs of sawtooths in mid and they were great. I ended up returning them to REI..

I tried La Sportiva Wildcats but they are sized wrong for guys with big feet. 47.5 is the largest size they come in and they were just too tight in the toes trying them on in the store. La Sportivas tend to run about a size small from what I have found in reviews, and most of their trail runners like the bushido and ultra raptors run narrow. I picked up a pair of Saucony Excursion TR9's and put about 100 miles on them and they have been really great for a budget trail runner. My most recent set of shoes is a set of Altra Lone Peak 2.5's. Having put about 60 miles on those they are hands down my new favorites. The zero drop takes a little bit getting used to and the large footshape toe box that Altra employs leaves the front of the shoe feeling a little loose but that is part of the design in allowing the toes to splay as you move. The mid and heel of the shoe fit great.

762X39

Explorer
Progress report on my new hiking boots

I ended up purchasing some reasonably well made light weight 6" high hikers in March and wore them every weekend for short 10km hikes. On the May long weekend I hiked just over 50km of the Bruce Trail over 2 days and had some minor issues with my inserts. Over the summer I fixed my orthotics issue and last weekend did another 50km of the Bruce Trail without any foot problems. My problem now is due to an industrial accident in my 30's where I broke my hip (I am in my late 50's) and it is coming back to haunt me .:coffee:
I am definitely a convert to lightweight hikers but still prefer at least a 6" boot over sneakers. Because of the wet weather we had over the weekend and the ankle twisting trail conditions, I made the right choice.:coffee:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Lowa Renegade from REI. Reasonably light and with ankle support they are the boots I wear hiking and when off roading.
No lightweight fabric boots for me as there things in the desert that poke through fabric.

David_h

Zamberlan 320 Trail Lite Evo Gtx. The best hiking boot I’ve had in 40 years and I’ve tried many. Great right out of the box.

Mike W.

I've been wearing Merrell Moab for hiking and now even daily wear at the ranch.. comfortable and tough..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles