Long range shooting/hunting thread

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well here I thought this thread was dead!
71fj40, that's a sweet setup! I'd love to have my .308 look like that someday, but unfortunately, all my money for the next year has gone towards my 338lm. What kind of ballistic calculator do you use to get your trajectory? I have yet to acquire a kestrel, a key component in long range shooting. Fortunately for me, the 338 shoots so well that I'm able to guess approximate windage and it gets me very close to my target. A couple weekends ago, I shot at a 1'x1' target out to 1347 yards with a 9 mph wind at 158 degrees. Aimed 12.6 MRAD up(that's about 51 feet), .7 mil to the right and ended up approximately 1 mil high, center. Readjusted, shot 1/2 mil low. readjusted and hit center 3rd shot. My longest bullseye so far!
Dalko, the 308 is a good round. I enjoy shooting it for the same reasons you do, too. versatile, cheap, and fun!
Also, I'm sure the Hornady is a good bullet, but I've been having a lot of luck with lapua bullets.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

71fj40guy

The longest shot I have made was during an Accuracy 1st class. It was 1610 meters using 175gr Blackhills match.
For ballistic software I use the Strelok Pro app on my Android phone.
I just tried out Hornady 308 Win 178 gr BTHP Superformance Match and will be switching over to it as my go to factory ammo. I only shot out to 887 yards with it so far but at that distance I only needed to dial 7.5 mils and that's at a 12 degree up angle.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
So are you guys just shooting to shoot, or do you have any long range hunting kills?

I haven't had a need to shoot game much past 150 yards where I live due to the terrain and vegetation. Hunting in upstate NY involves either close-range still hunts or drives; either way the deer usually aren't much further than 100 yards, if that, when they present a shot.

I do target shoot long range (600 yards and beyond) when the circumstances allow. I don't know if I would be okay with shooting game much past 500-600 yards, ethically that is. I'm a hunter, but I'm a firm believer that it's my job to kill the animal as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I know out west the environment requires longer distance shots (generally speaking) but I've heard from most hunters that they still try to get as close as possible without spooking the game.

Wisco

Observer
I've been into precision rifles for quite awhile now. My R700 .308 is pretty much set up the way I want it. It's a consistent 3/4 MOA rifle with handloads. The limiting factor now is my optics, but the suppressor was more of a priority.

Finding ranges in northern WI beyond about 1,000 yards is pretty difficult. I'm jealous of you guys out west with all the open space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've been into precision rifles for quite awhile now. My R700 .308 is pretty much set up the way I want it. It's a consistent 3/4 MOA rifle with handloads. The limiting factor now is my optics, but the suppressor was more of a priority.

Finding ranges in northern WI beyond about 1,000 yards is pretty difficult. I'm jealous of you guys out west with all the open space.

It is nice indeed, in addition to private ranges we have the west desert and the salt flats where your range is only limited by the shooter and the setup they are using, the downside is the wind is very tricky when you have hot desert air and cool mountain air constantly shifting.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer

You shooting subsonic? I'm trying to figure out why so many people are shooting suppressed when you are on a range and you don't really need to worry about your position being given away.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You shooting subsonic? I'm trying to figure out why so many people are shooting suppressed when you are on a range and you don't really need to worry about your position being given away.

He may be referring to a muzzle brake, although I'm not sure one is needed on a 308 due to a fairly light recoil.

Dalko43

Explorer
He may be referring to a muzzle brake, although I'm not sure one is needed on a 308 due to a fairly light recoil.

Meh...My .308 rifle came without any sort of muzzle brake or compensator from the factory; it certainly is not the hardest kicking rifle I've ever fired, but I don't think it's light either.

Wisco

Observer

I shoot full power loads with the suppressor. It's still hearing safe.

I generally shoot alone or with others with suppressed rifles, so not needing to wear ear pro is very nice.

The suppressor reduces recoil about the same as a halfway decent muzzle brake, and actually makes my particular rifle shoot a little tighter groups. It's a quick detach style can so I can run it on a number of different hosts as well.

MT6bt

Rock hound
The longest shot I have made was during an Accuracy 1st class. It was 1610 meters using 175gr Blackhills match.
For ballistic software I use the Strelok Pro app on my Android phone.
I just tried out Hornady 308 Win 178 gr BTHP Superformance Match and will be switching over to it as my go to factory ammo. I only shot out to 887 yards with it so far but at that distance I only needed to dial 7.5 mils and that's at a 12 degree up angle.
Does strelok pro have adjustments for coreallis effect, spin drift, and angle of shot? I have been using their free version, and am quite impressed with it.

71fj40guy

Does strelok pro have adjustments for coreallis effect, spin drift, and angle of shot? I have been using their free version, and am quite impressed with it.

Yes, this is directly from their site.

This is a smart ballistic calculator. It can use G1, G7 and... custom drag-functions!
Can calculate trajectory without using ballistic coefficient!
Can calculate spin drift, Coriolis effect, gyroscopic stability factor, Coriolis effect and vertical deflection of crosswind.

1184 bullets database + 411 bullets with G7 ballistic coefficients
2299 cartridges database

You can select reticle from the list (736 reticles!) and see holdovers (see list of reticles supported)

Supports bluetooth connection with Kestrel weather stations.

Supports imperial and metric units.

71fj40guy

Meh...My .308 rifle came without any sort of muzzle brake or compensator from the factory; it certainly is not the hardest kicking rifle I've ever fired, but I don't think it's light either.

Even though the recoil on .308 isn't bad....after installing the new heavier barrel with a brake it's much more enjoyable and it's a lot faster to get back on target for follow up shots.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
P7192738.jpgP7202758.jpg

i did a little long range shooting once I got to fire this bad boy 2 times then i got to pack it up and send it home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles