Long range shooting/hunting thread

Dalko43

Explorer
Don't know if any on here frequent Sniper's Hide, but there is an ongoing 100 yard challenge. Rules listed here:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5536-advanced-marksman/13609203-sh-100-yard-challenge-v1?s=541&page=1

This was my first attempt at that:

hG87FzGyEQ6ntCpCn27rfoZyTIELlRVe1sJ9IuiNbRmstUspTGcN8K9f8WDRhnI1TDMJt6aGJ0KvixwkIec6k4sCDSVLlWOERgPUiZto19t00NfdmadQxF8q6tCJlCQlmvhe2k3ma_EByfxXPjrwc83v_xQ6bx4m__t8bXHq_SrQGMszPx-46VyWfNDHuA-qdu-O9UeeWWTzKFyu7VpPfTxDWzJcTC-IjRhjNKScH-L4_Jjha7sC9kuRSB4QfhChVjAXUFHdqG2uwUGzTPjw4cj-v0Qk1hZLoJsMYrl9_Sr50spfaIN94E9JWaGf2d6nKWk6IrozprVDPh9j8kjUffoYe6MvyMWBRrjwUYAo4M22C5kSjDX5a7AhTgbJ_OWA3cG0lKRa4R8IRy6mbOT5DIJ2OZffFYtLf40KaaSbobhTdSc_jbBmKkgvhbOKhOUhr8DUcEHIz5m0oAptD5E5gD279k0vtXMHSSH0s-OmEKzanhKF5eSy8ttcW4prHgEYNEgoGppj0D7hti7thDgB_yRj50hNvjXmr3WMV2D6ts0lifOTcJBvrC77joVNoF3ynXjN=w1191-h893-no

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Don't know if any on here frequent Sniper's Hide, but there is an ongoing 100 yard challenge. Rules listed here:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5536-advanced-marksman/13609203-sh-100-yard-challenge-v1?s=541&page=1

This was my first attempt at that:

hG87FzGyEQ6ntCpCn27rfoZyTIELlRVe1sJ9IuiNbRmstUspTGcN8K9f8WDRhnI1TDMJt6aGJ0KvixwkIec6k4sCDSVLlWOERgPUiZto19t00NfdmadQxF8q6tCJlCQlmvhe2k3ma_EByfxXPjrwc83v_xQ6bx4m__t8bXHq_SrQGMszPx-46VyWfNDHuA-qdu-O9UeeWWTzKFyu7VpPfTxDWzJcTC-IjRhjNKScH-L4_Jjha7sC9kuRSB4QfhChVjAXUFHdqG2uwUGzTPjw4cj-v0Qk1hZLoJsMYrl9_Sr50spfaIN94E9JWaGf2d6nKWk6IrozprVDPh9j8kjUffoYe6MvyMWBRrjwUYAo4M22C5kSjDX5a7AhTgbJ_OWA3cG0lKRa4R8IRy6mbOT5DIJ2OZffFYtLf40KaaSbobhTdSc_jbBmKkgvhbOKhOUhr8DUcEHIz5m0oAptD5E5gD279k0vtXMHSSH0s-OmEKzanhKF5eSy8ttcW4prHgEYNEgoGppj0D7hti7thDgB_yRj50hNvjXmr3WMV2D6ts0lifOTcJBvrC77joVNoF3ynXjN=w1191-h893-no

They should make it interesting and put a caliber restriction on it, say nothing larger than a .270 and open sights only, 100 yards is nothing for most guys who know their weapon even when firing a cold barrel. Matter of fact, most guys who shoot the same rifle they hunt with will always keep their barrel as cold as possible at the range to duplicate the conditions they will see in the woods when the barrel is cold on the first shot. My 236 yard elk was a one shot kill with an air temp of about 58 degrees, zeroed at the range for 200 yards with holes touching in the red/orange circle waiting about 5 minutes between shots to avoid heating it up, this kept things as close as possible to a cold barrel in the field and worked perfectly.

Dalko43

Explorer
They should make it interesting and put a caliber restriction on it, say nothing larger than a .270 and open sights only, 100 yards is nothing for most guys who know their weapon even when firing a cold barrel. Matter of fact, most guys who shoot the same rifle they hunt with will always keep their barrel as cold as possible at the range to duplicate the conditions they will see in the woods when the barrel is cold on the first shot. My 236 yard elk was a one shot kill with an air temp of about 58 degrees, zeroed at the range for 200 yards with holes touching in the red/orange circle waiting about 5 minutes between shots to avoid heating it up, this kept things as close as possible to a cold barrel in the field and worked perfectly.

Don't know if you saw the quarter placed on the top left part of the target...the targets are small to the point where shooting this drill is plenty challenging at 100 yards and there is a point system based on your shot placement. I doubt anyone shooting open sights would be able to clearly see the targets at 100 yards, I was just barely able to make out the lines and target centers with my 4-16 Vortex Viper optic on max magnification.

The rifle calibers and make for each entry are listed to provide context.

The drill is supposed to be done on a cold barrel (no pre-shooting or fine-tuning your zero) because snipers and civilian marksmen, like hunters, need to know where their cold bore shot is going to impact. My 1st shot was off because using my normal loads (168gr Hornady AMAX) my cold bore shots are usually slightly high and right. Given that I shot this with Federal, albeit the same grain, and perhaps didn't have the best of trigger pulls, my cold bore shot was off to the left, as opposed to the right, which seems to be a pattern with this load and make of ammo.

This drill was designed specifically with high-powered, scoped rifles in mind. If I were you, I would give it a shot (pun intended) and post your results before knocking it.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Don't know if you saw the quarter placed on the top left part of the target...the targets are small to the point where shooting this drill is plenty challenging at 100 yards and there is a point system based on your shot placement. I doubt anyone shooting open sights would be able to clearly see the targets at 100 yards, I was just barely able to make out the lines and target centers with my 4-16 Vortex Viper optic on max magnification.

The rifle calibers and make for each entry are listed to provide context.

The drill is supposed to be done on a cold barrel (no pre-shooting or fine-tuning your zero) because snipers and civilian marksmen, like hunters, need to know where their cold bore shot is going to impact. My 1st shot was off because using my normal loads (168gr Hornady AMAX) my cold bore shots are usually slightly high and right. Given that I shot this with Federal, albeit the same grain, and perhaps didn't have the best of trigger pulls, my cold bore shot was off to the left, as opposed to the right, which seems to be a pattern with this load and make of ammo.

This drill was designed specifically with high-powered, scoped rifles in mind. If I were you, I would give it a shot (pun intended) and post your results before knocking it.

If I had the time I would, with a newborn my free time is limited for awhile, when I get home it's usually help with the baby or do something in the yard now that spring is here. I'm just glad I have a great job with a schedule that allows me to hunt and fish when I can get away, but lately I spend more of my days off around the house than out adventuring, once my boy is big enough we will have our own adventures together with my wife.

gunpainter

Observer
I don't shoot nearly as much as i'd like too. Too busy painting, and what time is left over i'm with the family. Here's my old competition rifle;

operator.jpg

My new comp rifle, which i've had a year and a half, and embarassing have to admit I still have yet to paint it.....much like everything else I have.

operator2.jpg

Hope the dead animals don't offend on here. They were headed right for me and I was afraid for my life, but it's about the only pic I have of that rifle and my beautiful self holding it. It was built by Short Action customs, Alpha 11 action, 6.5x47 Lapua, 20" Bartlein, Surgeon DBM, Timney Elite trigger,Manners T6A stock. I have a wild Kryptek pattern I'm gonna paint on it if I ever set aside some time. I've only taken it to 1400 a couple times, going out on the 15th to do it again. Everything (except shotguns) doesn't get shot without a muffler on it. Not only do I look like a Meal Team 6 operator when doing so, I don't have to worry about my sensitive little ears bleeding, causing me to have to embarrassingly explain to people why I have a tampons in my ears.

Branden

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I don't shoot nearly as much as i'd like too. Too busy painting, and what time is left over i'm with the family. Here's my old competition rifle;

View attachment 343583

My new comp rifle, which i've had a year and a half, and embarassing have to admit I still have yet to paint it.....much like everything else I have.

View attachment 343584

Hope the dead animals don't offend on here. They were headed right for me and I was afraid for my life, but it's about the only pic I have of that rifle and my beautiful self holding it. It was built by Short Action customs, Alpha 11 action, 6.5x47 Lapua, 20" Bartlein, Surgeon DBM, Timney Elite trigger,Manners T6A stock. I have a wild Kryptek pattern I'm gonna paint on it if I ever set aside some time. I've only taken it to 1400 a couple times, going out on the 15th to do it again. Everything (except shotguns) doesn't get shot without a muffler on it. Not only do I look like a Meal Team 6 operator when doing so, I don't have to worry about my sensitive little ears bleeding, causing me to have to embarrassingly explain to people why I have a tampons in my ears.

Branden

I know a lot of guys building a 6.5 lately, should work well for you.

gunpainter

Observer
I know a lot of guys building a 6.5 lately, should work well for you.

I ran a .260 for several years before I had the 6.5 lapua built. 6.5 is a great all around caliber, enough bullet weight to hunt effectively with, and a great ballistic coefficient and velocity to shoot long range with.

Branden

Dalko43

Explorer

View attachment 343583

View attachment 343584

Branden

Nice-looking rifle.

I've heard a lot about 6.5, but I decided to go with .308 to get my "feet wet" so to speak. What kind of competitions have you done in the past? I'm interested in doing some myself eventually.

BTW, if anyone gets mad from you posting dead animals, they joined the wrong forum. There are a fair number of hunters on this forum, and in fact I think there is another thread totally devoted to hunting in this sub-section.

gunpainter

Observer
Nice-looking rifle.

I've heard a lot about 6.5, but I decided to go with .308 to get my "feet wet" so to speak. What kind of competitions have you done in the past? I'm interested in doing some myself eventually.

BTW, if anyone gets mad from you posting dead animals, they joined the wrong forum. There are a fair number of hunters on this forum, and in fact I think there is another thread totally devoted to hunting in this sub-section.

I did all 'tactical' style matches, quite a few matches in the, now popular, PRS series. Use to be a ton of fun, now they are less fun, and too competitive for my tastes now. I just want to shoot and have a good time. Some people act like they'll die of some rare form of butt disease if they don't place in the top 10. So I stick to the very small one day matches that are close. Nicer group of folks, always fun, and don't cost a ton of money to participate.

Nothing wrong with the 308, I couldn't live without one, I tried. So i put together a little 16" 308 that was only meant to be shot inside 600 yards. First time out, first target after zero at 100 was 780 yards and I didn't come inside that once, go figure. I've taken it to 1400 just to see how it'd do, and I was impressed.

Branden

MT6bt

Rock hound
I finally got out a few days ago after a month and a half of no shooting. Was down to 1 bullet, and since my friend's reloading station is unavailable, I've had to invest in my own. But, I couldn't wait to set up some new handloads (lost my box of 300 gr. Lapua scenar HPBTs, so I had to buy a new bullet - some berger OTM 300gr hybrids. Can't wait to try them out! .822 BC!), so I bought a box of "cheap" match grade ammo (only $4/rd!!) and set out for the nearest place to shoot.
Unfortunately, my vortex razor HD scope has had some issues with maintaining zero stop, so I had to take a couple shots to figure out where I was Hitting.
Distance : 1030 yds. Full value wind from left @ 10 mph (variable). Ended up shooting 2.5 mils low and .6 mils to the right(possibly didn't account for spin drift and corriollis?) Recalculated, then shot 3 more shots at my target.
86498c4a40c36ffe239e2249b113d31c.jpg

Not a bad group if you consider the wind was unpredictable, I didn't have a kestrel, the rock was angled away at 45 degrees, eh!? The three on top are more than likely from wind? They all look on the same plane. The fourth below....well, that's my fault.
This gun is incredibly accurate. Props to proof research and BAT actions.
After I get my hand loads dialed in, a kestrel, and a better Ballistics calculator,
I'm pretty sure my groups will be about 4-5" at 1000 yds(edit: I guess they're already there!)

fea045644dc9ba32b02d3f245ecf77a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I finally got out a few days ago after a month and a half of no shooting. Was down to 1 bullet, and since my friend's reloading station is unavailable, I've had to invest in my own. But, I couldn't wait to set up some new handloads (lost my box of 300 gr. Lapua scenar HPBTs, so I had to buy a new bullet - some berger OTM 300gr hybrids. Can't wait to try them out! .822 BC!), so I bought a box of "cheap" match grade ammo (only $4/rd!!) and set out for the nearest place to shoot.
Unfortunately, my vortex razor HD scope has had some issues with maintaining zero stop, so I had to take a couple shots to figure out where I was Hitting.
Distance : 1030 yds. Full value wind from left @ 10 mph (variable). Ended up shooting 2.5 mils low and .6 mils to the right(possibly didn't account for spin drift and corriollis?) Recalculated, then shot 3 more shots at my target.
86498c4a40c36ffe239e2249b113d31c.jpg

Not a bad group if you consider the wind was unpredictable, I didn't have a kestrel, the rock was angled away at 45 degrees, eh!? The three on top are more than likely from wind? They all look on the same plane. The fourth below....well, that's my fault.
This gun is incredibly accurate. Props to proof research and BAT actions.
After I get my hand loads dialed in, a kestrel, and a better Ballistics calculator,
I'm pretty sure my groups will be about 4-5" at 1000 yds(edit: I guess they're already there!)

fea045644dc9ba32b02d3f245ecf77a1.jpg

Sounds like you had fun. Love the pic of your dog just sitting there. Mine can't sit next to me for more than 2 minutes before he is exploring and sniffing out tracks.

Does your Vortex Razor have removable shims to maintain your zero stop? I have a 4-16 Vortex Viper PST, and it has shims that I can add or remove as needed to maintain my zero stop. Overall, I've been very happy with Vortex; great customer service and my Viper has maintained its zero and tracked with no issues, despite all the bumpy rides I've put it through.

Also, what are Montana's regulations on being afield, either for hunting or target shooting purposes, with a firearm and a dog? I only ask because NY is strict about that and I've been wondering how other states are on that issue.

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Yes, the razor has shims to adjust the zero stop. Unfortunately, I had to send it in for some warranty work, so I haven't been able to go shooting for the last couple weeks.
As far as I know, it's fine to take dogs with you target shooting. You can't use them to track down animals to shoot (except cat hunting), but can use them to help retrieve an animal you've already shot

Dalko43

Explorer
Yes, the razor has shims to adjust the zero stop. Unfortunately, I had to send it in for some warranty work, so I haven't been able to go shooting for the last couple weeks.
As far as I know, it's fine to take dogs with you target shooting. You can't use them to track down animals to shoot (except cat hunting), but can use them to help retrieve an animal you've already shot

Thanks for the feedback!

What was wrong with your scope?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94