Honda CB500X and Rally Raid

trijv

Hi all-

I did a search here, and did not see anything about the subject.

Rally Raid out of the UK did some work on the Honda CB500X and came up with an interesting kit:
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f

A USA importer out of Bend, Oregon picked it up:
http://giantloopmoto.com/product-category/rally-raid-products-honda-cb500/

Also, a guy posted on YouTube some videos on installing and then testing out a Rally-Raid-equiped CB500X. Do a search on You Tube of Honda CB500X Rally Raid and that should bring up his videos.

Could this modified bike match a BMW F650GS, a KTM 690 Enduro, or some other bikes out there? I will leave that up the more experienced riders to advise.

Myself, I wish:
1) Honda would fix the small gas tank issue of the NC700X
2) Rally Raid go about provided parts for this bike.....

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the posti I'd not known there was any serious stuff for this bike. It'd be an interesting build, for sure.

Others will soon arrive with more detailed information, but it seems to me that it'd be a highly usable step up from street-oriented dual-sport bikes like the F650GS, but that the street-legal dirt bikes like a KTM 690s would still outperform it. But as a guy who can't comfortably deal with the seat heights of the KTM enduros, and who spends more time on the street and graded roads than on unimproved trails, I'd find the proposed Honda a more practical choice. As always, it'll come down to deciding how much to trade off to optimize the dirt performance.

oldmopars

Well I will soon know how well they perform. I have a new 2015 CB500X and my Rally Raid kit will be here this next week. I will be doing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route on July 5-10.
I have done a ton of research on the bikes and that is what lead me to get it. They are great on the road and with RR very capable off road. No, it will not out perform a KTM of the same cc range off road, but will out perform it on road and still hang pretty close off road. It is mor of a true Adventure bike than a dirt bike.
I will be sure to post up pictures when I get it done.

paranoid56

Adventurer
Well I will soon know how well they perform. I have a new 2015 CB500X and my Rally Raid kit will be here this next week. I will be doing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route on July 5-10.
I have done a ton of research on the bikes and that is what lead me to get it. They are great on the road and with RR very capable off road. No, it will not out perform a KTM of the same cc range off road, but will out perform it on road and still hang pretty close off road. It is mor of a true Adventure bike than a dirt bike.

so how is it?

zolo

Explorer

I think stating a CB500X RR out performing a 690 KTM on the road is a bit of a stretch. The 690 is a rocket on the street and in the dirt. While I think the CB500X RR is a cool bike once you go stage 3, no way would I pass up a roll on a 690. Its not even in the same class. AT 67 hp vs 42 hp the KTM will be pulling wheelies past you... shifting gears and braping down the road...:roost::roost:

There is a lot of info on the IBAR FB page and they seem to be very popular. Id like to see your bike once you get RR done. Did you go stage 3 and get all the available equipment? that seems to be the best way to go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles