Reliability Toyota --- Coming from a Land Rover Owner

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I know a place that has kits for a fraction of that price. Holler when you're ready :D

What fraction are we talking?? 7/8?? :D. 1/2?? I'm in the market soonish myself as mine is just past 180k now. I'm not in a panic, but I'll pony up for the parts and have them on hand I think.

jwilliams

Observer
Disco II vs FZJ80

I had a 2000 LR Disco II for 11 years. The top end had to be rebuilt 3 times over that time because of the famous slipping liners. There was always an electrically gremlin to chase. And then there is the issue of "the Three amigos" in the ABS system. It was sad to sell it but I lost so much money. I took excellent care of the truck and still took a huge loss on it when I sold it.

Sold it and bought a 1997 FZJ80 for more than I sold the 2000 LR Disco II for.
Have spent money and time doing PM and adding kit as I go. I was able to drive on a 5,525 mile west trip last year in the Toyota without one single problem! Something I never even would have attempted in the LR.

Without a doubt I would agree the Toyota is better engineered all around, and I would recommend that over the LR.
I still have a lot of love for LR's, but I would never buy one again.

Here is my LR Disco II that I sold.
300948_753801733630_1605439176_n.jpg

Here is my FZJ80 that I adore
insurance 1.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, since you have non-USA trucks when are you going to get a Patrol!? Are you waiting for the Y61s to become importable or even just a late production Y60? I know you have driven them and while maybe not your favorite I am sure you know how good of trucks they are. The Y61s with the right engine are simply awesome trucks, I would kill for a coil cab Ute with a TD42 or the 4.8L gasser. I would damn near kill for a Y61 wagon with the same engine. A SWB two door would be a lot of fun too even if small. I drove several Y61s on my trips and they for me were like the 100 and 80 combined. Top of the line Y61 was super plush and comfy but built like a tank and felt like a tank, super solid.

Cheers

Patrols are awesome, no doubt!

mph

Expedition Leader
I have a good friend who has a 2004 Disco with 70,000 and I have a 99 LC with 180,000...He and I always laugh at what he has replaced and what he needs to get fixed. Some horn button just popped off yesterday.

Get what you love...My friend knows the gremlins of owning a disco but he loves them. I, on the other hand, marvel and love what the LC is...a reliable, capable beast of a truck!
Life's short...Love what you drive:) Good luck with your purchase!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What fraction are we talking?? 7/8?? :D. 1/2?? I'm in the market soonish myself as mine is just past 180k now. I'm not in a panic, but I'll pony up for the parts and have them on hand I think.

I'm not in front of my work computer but they are like $250 for the kit with all AISIN parts, same as OE but 1/2-1/3 the cost

TundraADV

My 100 had 249,000 on it, original owner. Sad day when it left the garage. Never any issues. Changed the battery twice, 2 sets of tires, several lights and a couple of brake changes is about all we ever did to it.

hvigas

For the last 5-6 years I have owned exclusively Land Rovers (Defenders and now a 300tdi Discovery). LR is not know for being the most reliable, while reliability is what many Toyota lovers rant about. Never owning a Toyota myself, I ask the question: Are Toyotas as magically reliable as I hear? Specifically, I'm looking at 80-100 series Land Cruisers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

They are very good, strong and have decent reliability with proper manteinance.. but dont buy the "bulletproof, never breaks ever" motto everyone likes to repeat over and over because is not true

they DO break and have some weak points.. push hard enough and you will know them :)

but dont let that stopping you from buy 1, they are great vehicles

Last edited:

mightymo

Observer
Sorry I kind of fired and forgot this post. You guys provided some great feedback. Thanks a ton. I still enjoy my 300tdi disco, but one day I might transition. I will likely drive a few buddies' LCs first to test them out. Thanks again, and cheers to awesome LRs and Toyotas.

additc

My 100 had 249,000 on it, original owner. Sad day when it left the garage. Never any issues. Changed the battery twice, 2 sets of tires, several lights and a couple of brake changes is about all we ever did to it.

No timing belt/water pump replacement?

JohnnyS

Explorer
A good pal who lives in Kenya runs 2 Defenders, one to drive one to leave at the mechanic.

He asked his mechanic, who he says is the best LR wrench in Kenya, how to make his LRs more reliable... The mechanic told him to buy a Land Cruiser. :sombrero:

A few weeks back I had lunch with a friend and talked about LC vs. LR reliability. A few hours later he sent me this. Too funny.

Attachments

• 18649.jpg
    18649.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 33

Deshet

Adventurer
For the last 5-6 years I have owned exclusively Land Rovers (Defenders and now a 300tdi Discovery). LR is not know for being the most reliable, while reliability is what many Toyota lovers rant about. Never owning a Toyota myself, I ask the question: Are Toyotas as magically reliable as I hear? Specifically, I'm looking at 80-100 series Land Cruisers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Yes....after Hiroshima the US went a taught the Japanese quality control and how to run factories. The British have never been good at building long-running reliable trouble free vehicles. They rarely use British engineered engines. Nearly every performance inspired British vechile is ready for the dump at 100,000 miles. Even those that love British cars are ready and waiting for something to break. (Renault,Triumph, Jaguar, Land Rover) The answer to your question is yes. You were already aware of the answer to your question before you asked it. Even the diesel Land Rovers are problematic compared to diesels offered by the Japanese companies. Why they put a timing belt on a diesel makes no sense to me. When Ford bought Land Rover that was probably the peak of its relaibility. Land Rovers look good and that is about it. Used Land Rover in England are cheap. I was reading a British defender ad the other day where the owner of a Defender bragged about having one of the few without aftermaket welds re-enforcing his frame.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles