Best Vehicle for Urban AND Wilderness Travel?

wjeeper

Just waiting for camper convo:
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5426209461.html
Click image for larger version. Name: image.jpeg Views: 12 Size: 51.2 KB ID: 333803

2001 Chevy 1 ton turbo diesel van. Side access door, has bench seat behind captain seats, has center console safe, has air, toilet, alum. Floor, receiver hitch. Am/FM cd, can stand in back. Has about 75k miles. Slider windows if you serve food, makes a nice mod home on wheels has room for 10 ft. awning and solar panels. Has 2 new batt.

@$10,000

Thats an ex-air force flight line shuttle. It may have low miles but I bet it has spent lots of hours idling! On Govplanet.com it looks like they are going for $900-6000 at auction.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Hi again,

So I wound up back in Australia for nine months, and the van went into storage with all of my gear in it. Passed smog and was ready for plates, but then I suddenly had to leave the country and had no time left to complete the process. In about two hours the water pump will have been replaced and I'll have a drivable and registrable vehicle.
At this point I've decided to stick with it and build it out. It's a known entity, and while I would much prefer a 4x4, I'm not going to have time for any seriously off the grid adventures any time in the next six months, so I'm better taking advantage of what I have, rather than losing out on all the time, effort and expense so far.

I plan on putting up a build thread once I get into it.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Hi again,

So I managed to find a buyer for the E350, at a great price, and am moving it on. Although I had planned to build her out, there's been too much travel over the past nine months, and I've barely been in one spot long enough to do the necessaries.

So now, after a lot of travel, and a lot of back country camping, often based out of a bare metal can, I've started thinking about the next vehicle.

One of the primary lessons of the last vehicle is that I need something reliable and usable as-is while I figure out what comes next. Starting with a reliable base vehicle that I can use as a daily driver, and for getting off the grid, while I plan the next conversion makes way more sense than what I did last time.

I've started moving my thinking toward a pickup with either a lightweight slide-in camper, or a flat bed conversion with a box attached to the frame. Another alternative that seems worthy of consideration is dropping a chinook body onto a 4x4 Toyota.

I'd love to hear feedback on these ideas. I enjoyed the van while I had it, but I'm not sure that a van is now the best for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior