Best coating for exposed plywood? Bed Liner? Full sun/heat exposure in a hot climate

S2DM

Adventurer
There are two separate issues to address, so its should be a two step process. Species of ply makes a difference as well. But, you need something to soak into the wood and seal as much of the wood surface as you can. This should be a small particle size, less viscous substance. An epoxy primer would be my first choice, second choice would be a thinned polyester. Then you need something to bond to the sealed wood surface which provides surface and UV protection. Once the wood is sealed, you have many more options on the surface. A single step process will result in a lot of material on the surface, but very little penetration into the wood. My experience has been poly works, but I get better penetration with epoxy (one of the few areas I use epoxy in).

Coachgeo

Explorer
Sounds like there is two different approaches. You might call it old school paint methodology with modern paints (soak in sealing paint, then coating for top sealing with a possible primer in there as well for bonding)...... while the other approach being more of a complete encapulation with something sorta like thick liquid plastics like the roof coat epdm from previous post and truck bed liners. hmmmmm......

One con on the second approach is fire. Though it seems to be rare but if you get that plastic stuff on fire.???..... Just do your research... some of the liners seem impossible to light while others easier??? Maybe ask for a sample of the product to put on some scrap wood the light it with a torch orr?

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
We got the rubber coating on about a week back.

It took a couple days of applying/drying, but it's about 1/8" thick and completely seals the ply inside it. It's probably a bit softer than I'd like, but it does make a nice bed floor. Things don't slide/roll and the camper sits really tight. No movement, or loose turnbuckles.

It's self-healing to an extent, but I think if it was used on a truck where the bed took a lot of abuse, I'd go with something different. Should work fine this time 'round, thats a definite plus of a plywood bed- cheap and easy to replace after a couple years.

13697156_1750910165150662_1909629597925178744_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz