2001 Xterra Xploration Vhicle

transalper

Explorer
Roger that. I've removed both swaybars on other rigs and didn't notice a big difference. Glad to get the feedback about the front sway on the Xterra. I also do not want to deal with disconnects - they tend to be a PITA and MN winters kill them quickly.

I still can't get over the size of those rear shocks!

richard310

pew pew
Have you considered some upper control arms as you stated you needed to replace the upper ball joints? Might as well if you're looking to do the torsion bars. I'm running Calmini UCAs and OEM torsion bars cranked up and it's given me a darn fine lift with the 3 leaf AAL's in the rear.

Definitely lose the rear sway bar as it'll dent and destroy the rear shocks. The front I'd keep as it's a marginal difference in travel, besides more body roll.

Overall a nice simple plan without going over the top like most other builds. Just be careful the bug doesn't bite harder because it bit me pretty well... Just curious, what kind of bike are you hauling? Given your username, would it happen to be the Honda Transalp? Because those things are pretty awesome.

transalper

Explorer
Can you send me a part number for the FRONT shocks. I can't find them
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-20505612-bilstein-5100-series-shock-package.html

Nice build. I almost bought an xterra and this makes me think I should start looking at them again.
Thanks! It's mostly a build concept right now, but very soon will be more.

Have you considered some upper control arms?

Overall a nice simple plan without going over the top like most other builds. Just be careful the bug doesn't bite harder because it bit me pretty well... Just curious, what kind of bike are you hauling? Given your username, would it happen to be the Honda Transalp? Because those things are pretty awesome.

I have considered UCAs and am gonna run the cranked front with single AAL for a while to see if I need them.

This build plan is greatly influenced by the builds here - yours included!

And yes, my username is my yahoo email account that I set up years ago when had a Transalp. I rode it for about a decade and I still miss it. I am currently riding a R1150GSA and DRZ400S. And have my eyes on the new Africa Twin!

richard310

pew pew
I have considered UCAs and am gonna run the cranked front with single AAL for a while to see if I need them.

This build plan is greatly influenced by the builds here - yours included!

And yes, my username is my yahoo email account that I set up years ago when had a Transalp. I rode it for about a decade and I still miss it. I am currently riding a R1150GSA and DRZ400S. And have my eyes on the new Africa Twin!

That is rad. I passed up on a greatly priced, great condition TransAlp down here in Socal. Wish i snagged it when it was still for sale. Too bad he never returned my emails. Well now that you've mentioned it, pictures are a must of said bikes :D

SRStaff

Observer
If you can keep the front sway bar bolt from rusting back up; it makes a big difference offroad disconnected. I went from three wheeling in a bunch of spots to all four touching. Takes all of 5 mins to connect and disconnect. Most of that time is spent getting the tools out and putting them back.

This pic is not at full travel. Just to give you an idea the the front has better travel with the front sway bar disconnected.

SRStaff

Observer
With OEM torsion bars it is horrid. Driveable but not recommended with SAW torsion bars. Have a buddy that drives without the front sway bar with the slightly softer Calmini torsion bars. leave it hooked up on the street. Better for emergency lane changes to avoid the people that text and drive. All you do is remove the end links for offroad. The sway bar does not affect anything while disconnected. The two bushings on the frame hold it in place. It stays out of the way much better than the Jeep sway bar. Seen a Jeep sway bar disconnected cut a sidewall of a tire. Our front sway bar ends are more inboard plus no sharp points. The end links are easy. Bolt, nut, bushings, washers for bushings, & sleeve in middle. Like I said; takes more time to get the tools than to disconnect it.

SRStaff

Observer
OEM sway bar with Energy suspension end link bushings and OEM center bushings where the sway bar mouts to the frame. Had to drill out the energy suspension bushing washers so the OEM bolt could fit through them. Have AC/4x4 parts UCAs.

transalper

Explorer
Thanks guys. SRStaff, that front articulation is impressive. I was not planning to do UCAs at this point, but those photos are compelling!

I hit my first snag today. After jacking up the Xterra, removing the tires, and trying to find a safe place for the jack stands . . . . . . I noticed that the bottom main spring on the driver side was broken. Dagnabbit!

Leaf packs are new to me. What are my options? I still only want about 1.5-2" of lift and some extra load capacity.

1. Full custom Alcan leaf pack. ~$700
2. New or used OEM leaf pack and add-a-leaf. $??
3. Other options??

Thanks!

Last edited:

SRStaff

Observer
Stock UCAs will get you close to the same travel up front. I personally have the Calmini 2 leaf AAL. Longer leaf will flex better. The 3 leaf AAL that 4x4 parts sell are too short for my taste. Also most people that order them nowadays are getting 3" lift just from them. I would go for OEM style leaf pack replacements since the one leaf has already failed. I cannot justify Alcan due to the price. They are still leaf springs that will wear and sag over time like the OEM style will. Still come out ahead in price with OEM style leaf packs with the Calmini AAL. You will have extra carrying capacity and flex just fine. My rear is OEM leaf pack, Calmini AAL and 4x4 parts lift shackles.

transalper

Explorer
Thanks for the insights. I am learning more about leaf pack options.

Oem replacements $240 or so.
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-257..htm
http://www.truckspring.com/products...ment-Leaf-Spring-(4-Leaves-Rear)__69-257.aspx
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...ucts_id=7612&gclid=CKCNq9OL18oCFQ2HaQodMA8COQ

Heavy duty general spring. Gives 1.5" lift. $300 pair.
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-257hd..htm

I also have a line on some alcans for around $590 shipped.

I am trying to balance daily comfort and drz/gear hauling. Those general hd springs look promising.

dennismc

Observer
I went to a local spring shop and they re-arched and added another leaf, put new bushings and teflon pads. Parts and labor plus re-indexing the front
bars was less than Alcans. Got about 2 inches and a good ride. Might want to investigate having that done in your area.

SRStaff

Observer
The General HD springs sound promising. The whole pack is only 1/8" thicker than the standard pack for 1.5" of lift. Be a tad stiffer but if you carry some gear all the time; I do not think it would be all that noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier