Flat bed camper for sale

There is a for sale section but sometimes people post here. You might get better coverage in the for sale section, though. I recall you being a fairly staunch supporter of Phoenix when MyTaco was having issues. I'm seriously not trying to stir anything up, or restart that thread discussion that got way out of hand. But I'm curious, given statements in the past, why you've decided to sell so quickly -- especially given you plan to build your own.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
There is a for sale section but sometimes people post here. You might get better coverage in the for sale section, though. I recall you being a fairly staunch supporter of Phoenix when MyTaco was having issues. I'm seriously not trying to stir anything up, or restart that thread discussion that got way out of hand. But I'm curious, given statements in the past, why you've decided to sell so quickly -- especially given you plan to build your own.

It is also in the for sale section but hoped it might get additional looks here in the pop up's. I too hope that your "mention" of the "taco" thread does not reignite anything. I think that thread is a magnet for negativity that brought out the worst in people. My experience with Phoenix has been just the opposite. Any issue or question I had was immediately addressed.

As for the why and so quickly; Part of the why is mentioned in my initial post; hard side instead of pop up. I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I really want in a camper. My first rig was a Tiger that I kept for about the same amount of time. So I suppose that "quickly" is relative to one's own definition:) Some people trade cars more often.

I have decided to build my own because I can, or at least think I can:) If you were to ask Tiger or Phoenix about their experience with me they would probably be kind. But, I feel like I was a pain. I'm a stickler for detail to say the least. I also enjoy the design and build process.
This next concept that I hope to develop was first proposed to Phoenix and XP. "I've been after Tiger to do a flat bed build for some time, but that's another story." Both Phoenix and XP are more than capable. But, each one didn't quite meet what I envision. So, its time to tackle this idea myself!

AFSOC

Explorer
That Camper is a ground breaker, truly a marvel! Best of luck with the sale, I can't wait to see what you get next.

BTW, what are you going to do with the Ram that has the pass-through opening?

Last edited:

Terra Ops

Adventurer
That Camper is a ground breaker, truly a marvel! Best of luck with the sale, I can't see what you get next.

BTW, what are you going to do with the Ram that has the pass-through opening?

Thank you very much. I wish I could keep it and build another one, but its not financially practical.
I plan to keep the Ram for the next build. The pass through is a must have for me. I also must add how pleased
I am with the flatbed configuration. It really gives you the best of both worlds; class C space with the detachability
of a truck camper.

gtbensley

Explorer
Do you have a cover for the pass through on the truck when the camper is off? Or did the camper live on it full time? Very neat build, I have enjoyed reading about it and hope whatever you replace it with you do a build thread here.

It is also in the for sale section but hoped it might get additional looks here in the pop up's. I too hope that your "mention" of the "taco" thread does not reignite anything. I think that thread is a magnet for negativity that brought out the worst in people. My experience with Phoenix has been just the opposite. Any issue or question I had was immediately addressed.

As for the why and so quickly; Part of the why is mentioned in my initial post; hard side instead of pop up. I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I really want in a camper. My first rig was a Tiger that I kept for about the same amount of time. So I suppose that "quickly" is relative to one's own definition:) Some people trade cars more often.

I have decided to build my own because I can, or at least think I can:) If you were to ask Tiger or Phoenix about their experience with me they would probably be kind. But, I feel like I was a pain. I'm a stickler for detail to say the least. I also enjoy the design and build process.
This next concept that I hope to develop was first proposed to Phoenix and XP. "I've been after Tiger to do a flat bed build for some time, but that's another story." Both Phoenix and XP are more than capable. But, each one didn't quite meet what I envision. So, its time to tackle this idea myself!

I see, and agreed on that thread/topic. It's the many threads like that on this forum that tend to keep me away.

Even though I have my dream rig, I still find myself wanting to trade it for a JKUR Habitat. I tend to go through cars fairly quickly and I'm resisting the urge to do the same with campers. When I had my Flippac, I satisfied that urge with ship fitters disease, constantly upgrading and changing. Now my rig is a bit out of my experience level to do much change, nor does it need any. Good luck with your sale. Looks like a fun rig.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I see, and agreed on that thread/topic. It's the many threads like that on this forum that tend to keep me away.

Even though I have my dream rig, I still find myself wanting to trade it for a JKUR Habitat. I tend to go through cars fairly quickly and I'm resisting the urge to do the same with campers. When I had my Flippac, I satisfied that urge with ship fitters disease, constantly upgrading and changing. Now my rig is a bit out of my experience level to do much change, nor does it need any. Good luck with your sale. Looks like a fun rig.

Thank you
As I've researched the components of my next camper, it has become clear how much manufacturers mark up their units. Obviously there is the overhead to sales ratio. But,,, I wonder how many people would opt for a DIY camper kit? In other words a plug and play camper build that comes directly to your door step. From my estimation, one could save tens of thousands! I know this is off topic of the sale, so perhaps the question should be moved elsewhere? Comments? Thoughts?

Umtaneum

Adventurer
Good luck with the sale, Jeff. I can't wait to see what you build next. Your slightly used camper would sure look good on one of my F450's from work, but I just dropped 30k on a camper a year ago and can't justify doing it again this fast. Plus, I would have to retire one from the fleet, none of them are crew cabs, blah blah blah same old logic I came up against that led me down THIS path in the first place. This is why I will probably never have my "Unimog with custom flatbed popup" dream rig. Oh, well, just have to get out and use the current one a lot more.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Good luck with the sale, Jeff. I can't wait to see what you build next. Your slightly used camper would sure look good on one of my F450's from work, but I just dropped 30k on a camper a year ago and can't justify doing it again this fast. Plus, I would have to retire one from the fleet, none of them are crew cabs, blah blah blah same old logic I came up against that led me down THIS path in the first place. This is why I will probably never have my "Unimog with custom flatbed popup" dream rig. Oh, well, just have to get out and use the current one a lot more.

Thanks Kevin

HMT

I wonder how many people would opt for a DIY camper kit? In other words a plug and play camper build that comes directly to your door step.

I know I would interested. An erector set on a larger scale I think I could handle. Quality pieces and parts unlike typical RV's ... :cool:

Decanter

Adventurer
Thank you
As I've researched the components of my next camper, it has become clear how much manufacturers mark up their units. Obviously there is the overhead to sales ratio. But,,, I wonder how many people would opt for a DIY camper kit? In other words a plug and play camper build that comes directly to your door step. From my estimation, one could save tens of thousands! I know this is off topic of the sale, so perhaps the question should be moved elsewhere? Comments? Thoughts?

What's your time worth? How efficient and skilled are you? Those are two important questions each must consider. I find that often I am better off working extra hours and earning money than say dropping my fuel tank to change a fuel pump for example. Everyone has to make a living including camper manufactures and considering the overhead of running a business I doubt most are living in luxury.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
What's your time worth? How efficient and skilled are you? Those are two important questions each must consider. I find that often I am better off working extra hours and earning money than say dropping my fuel tank to change a fuel pump for example. Everyone has to make a living including camper manufactures and considering the overhead of running a business I doubt most are living in luxury.

Definitely good points. It wouldn't be for everyone. I guess what I'm picturing is a family project for the week ends or evenings. It would be like HMT said, a large erector set. How cool would it be to say "we built this". Quality components would be directly controlled by the individual. It would be a great learning experience. Anything that goes wrong, you would know how to fix or replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles