Mount Antero, CO Sep-2015

Tennmogger

Explorer
That was a great video! I sure miss that place, and others, in CO. Mt Antero was the first offroad trip we took in a Jeep Cherokee we bought in 1988. We broke it in that trip and kept it for 235k miles!

We also took the 'straight' road at that left turn at 3:53 in the video. It goes up to an old mile workings complete with rail track and buildings, and a great tailings pile. We didn't see any other vehicle while up there for the day.

Too bad the battery died before you got to the top.

thanks,

Bob

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Looks fun with a great view. Probably have to do that one with the family next time we visit relatives in Springs. How long does it take to get these from Springs?

87Warrior

GP'er
Looks fun with a great view. Probably have to do that one with the family next time we visit relatives in Springs. How long does it take to get these from Springs?
The trail head for the road up Mt. Antero is about 20 minutes southwest of Buena Vista, so about 2 hours from the Springs. This road is by far one of my favorite 'out and back' routes in Colorado. The last part of the climb to the top isn't for the faint of heart though...steep, loose and narrow.

Guapo

I'm planning a trip right now. Some of us will be pulling adventure trailers behind Jeeps. Can we make the switchbacks with the trailers if we do this trail, or should we drop that near the trailhead? Thanks!

87Warrior

GP'er
I'm planning a trip right now. Some of us will be pulling adventure trailers behind Jeeps. Can we make the switchbacks with the trailers if we do this trail, or should we drop that near the trailhead? Thanks!
Realistically you could probably pull a small trailer to the top. After all, excavators climb to the top regularly. However, I wouldn't take a trailer to the top. The last part of the trail is quite steep, loose and tight. There is a large open area just before of final accent at about 12k feet that you can stop at and assess the situation. I'd unhitch and secure the trailers here and make the drive up. There isn't a whole lot of room at the trail head to drop a trailer and space is limited at the top as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz