2006+ Suzuki Grand Vitara

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
So the thread by Jeff about his earlier model Grand Vitara got me looking at the later model.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback about the newer model.

The downside I see is that the 06+ has IRS instead of a solid axle like the one Jeff has. I also don't know if the new one has a 2spd transfer case?

Apparently, this model is sold under the name Escudo in other countries and it has sold well outside of the U.S.

Attachments

• suzuki01,jpg.jpg
    suzuki01,jpg.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 42

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I like them a lot, and I think they'd be great for light duty stuff (like if you live in a place where you have to jump off a cliff to get to your parking spot), but I doubt they could ever be modded as easily as the previous generation. My brother bought one and loves it, but it rarely even sees a dirt road.

I know the fancy ones have 4Lo, but like most things, to appease the all important American consumer, it is unibody and has a cush ride (I believe it is based on the same platform as the Chevy Equinox and Saturn Vue).

At least the XL7 is still body on frame and easy to mod, until the 2007 model comes out.

aaah, remember the days when 4wd truly were utility vehicles ...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The new one seems like a good alternative to the RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc. in that case. Certainly one could venture off the trail but not too far off I would wager.

The XL7 was too long for my garage:Wow1:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
The new one seems like a good alternative to the RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc. in that case. Certainly one could venture off the trail but not too far off I would wager.

I think it would be a great alternative to these models, and perhaps a bit more capable with the 4LO option available. And a bit better on the wallett as well. But not the same as the previous models. I think with unibody and 4IS it's capabilities are a bit hindered over the previous generation. They do look good though IMO.

chet

island Explorer
Like was said I lwent and looked at them and only the fully loaded units have the 2 speed tcase. Not sure what their thinking was on this?

I was interested until they said it was the same structure as a chevy equinox. Forget it. I will buy a Kia before I buy a Chev designed product. At least my kick was designed in Japan and chev bought into the design. Not the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior