The 87 Bronco adventure rig build - El Chucho - Closed/Sold

Flazer

Observer
Hello all,

So for the past couple of years, I've been dreaming of a Bronco. I had a Cherokee that I enjoyed, but life-changes happened that forced me to sell it and lust after some full sized Ford goodness.

After taking a job out of town for 9 months, and switching to another job further out of town, my wife and I moved to our current home of Elko, NV. As part of buying a house (a foreclosure that needed work), we decided to pick up a crappy pickup for trips to Home Depot, the dump etc. I bought an 87 f250 extended cab, long bed with a poorly running 460.

After a couple months, and most of the big house projects out of the way, it was time to say goodbye to the truck. I rebuilt the carb, fixed some other odds and ends and listed it. At the same time, someone was trying to sell an 87 Bronco, and after some talking, agreed to a trade.

1c5d95df0308443d56fdea0aef5e406f.jpg

Chucho has about 187k miles, a 302 mated to an AOD transmission, and push button 4x4. This wasn't my first choice of gear, as I wanted a 300, manual with a manual transfer case, but I definitely traded up from the truck.

It's currently sitting on some worn 33x12.5x15 MT's that will need to be replaced. The biggest draw for me was the good shape of the body, other than some sun bleaching, and the lack of rust, save for some surface rust on the outer frame near the rear wheels - one of the first things I plan to treat.

Here's some pictures of how she currently sits.

4ad50a4fcc9b722c0831497816c43713.jpg

86ff08a7bab693b09a75019c3be0dfb3.jpg

018e94c98cbcb8f31188b394f8432b01.jpg

faca837e61c663596381553ad32bf3c9.jpg

820a64348112211f3a0c1c58c61bb17b.jpg

9aed7124823f1274febd1553716ef2bb.jpg

Current goals are to do a full tune up. Various POs seem to have overlooked things, and to get it back to a good state of reliability, I'll be changing all fluids and replacing minor parts. It runs well now, but needed an oil and air filter change etc. Has a new cap and wires and harmonic balancer.

Long term plans aren't to deck the Bronco out, but to make it a near stock adventure rig to explore the Nevada back country, go camping, fishing, and hunting with, and be confident in her to take longer trips.

Stay tuned, ask questions, and make suggestions. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flazer

Observer
So, on the short list:

The hood and doors need to be realigned. Looks like someone dropped a basketball or something on the driver's side of the hood. A little ding, and the hood sits too far back - hits the cowl when closing. The doors seem to have sagged over time, and a small ding in the pass side front quarter panel catches against that door when opening and closing.

Shocks - it has some Monroe reflexes for two of the front, four, shocks, but none of the others have been replaced, may use that opportunity to replace some Springs or do a 2" lift as well, still debating.

Tires - I'm looking to go back down to a 31x10.5x15 AT. I won't be doing any crazy wheeling, I'll get better mpg's, and won't lose more power from the 302 auto combo. Plus cheaper tires. Down side is, I'd like to run E or D rated tires, but apparently they don't make those on 15" wheel size.

Rear window wiring needs to be sorted out.

Bleed the brakes - PO replaced brakes, but didn't bleed them (why???)

Clean up surface rust on frame near rear wheels and paint.

Change valve cover gaskets and possibly oil pan gasket - VCG is leaking, hard to tell if the oil pan gasket is also

98dango

Expedition Leader
Love the bronco and the keep it simple and use it. I might however recommend going to a 16" wheel and 285s there not much more money and you can get you e or d rated tire. I also persnoaly would not go back to 31s 33 is the perfect size and the power loss is minimal in the 3 we have out back. If you want to stay 15" I would look at the 33-10.5. they are not as wide less resistance.

Just a thought

chaos616

Adventurer
Hi Buddy,

Sweet Bronc. I hope you can get that bronco running like a top, should be a fun short trail rig. You should just build your own driveline, get a triton engine, manual transmission and manual transfer case and swap it all in!!!

I guess thats not really keeping it simple then, but if done right it'll run like a top.

Just for fun check out the pictures of Russ's 88 Jimmy i'm almost done with, looking forward to more of your updates!!!!!

88 Jimmy Project

Flazer

Observer
Love the bronco and the keep it simple and use it. I might however recommend going to a 16" wheel and 285s there not much more money and you can get you e or d rated tire. I also persnoaly would not go back to 31s 33 is the perfect size and the power loss is minimal in the 3 we have out back. If you want to stay 15" I would look at the 33-10.5. they are not as wide less resistance.

Just a thought
Thanks dango. I've considered this option, but can't find much reliable info on FSB about what vehicles' 16" wheels would swap right on. Or, what back spacing, I'd need for new steel wheels etc. Any thoughts?

Flazer

Observer
Hi Buddy,

Sweet Bronc. I hope you can get that bronco running like a top, should be a fun short trail rig. You should just build your own driveline, get a triton engine, manual transmission and manual transfer case and swap it all in!!!

I guess thats not really keeping it simple then, but if done right it'll run like a top.

Just for fun check out the pictures of Russ's 88 Jimmy i'm almost done with, looking forward to more of your updates!!!!!

88 Jimmy Project
Such an awesome Jimmy, glad it finally got built and is coming together. I'll hang off on the triton for now 😁. Hopefully can bleed the brakes this weekend.

Flazer

Observer
Time for an update, though a small one. I got to bleeding the brakes this weekend. I waited until my new bleeder valves from SpeedBleeder came (www.speedbleeder.net). They have a ball check valve built in, so you can bleed the brakes yourself. This was handy, but I still got my wife to press the pedal while I watched to make sure any air came out and new fluid made it to each wheel. Bled all 4 corners, in sequence, twice, and was still having peddle issues. Meanwhile, one of the original bleeder valves was rusted in place and I rounded it off, so I ended up replacing the driver's side disc caliper while I was at it.

So, upon further inspection, I noticed the driver's side rear wheel was wet, which I originally thought might have been from driving it on the street into the garage. Turns out it's probably that wheel cylinder. I'll replace both sides next weekend, as well as probably redo the brake shoes since I'll be in there (get it out of the way now and never have to think about it again). I'll post the pic of the leaky wheel later.

cheepsk8

Observer
You should be able to contact your local favorite tire dealer as to getting 16" wheels. Trust your instincts about keeping it close to stock as possible. I wen off the deep end on my 79 and it's still parked from last year!

Flazer

Observer
33e94d94a57de2689bf8ac4c458d1c90.jpg

Here is the picture I promised. Confirmation on my wheel cylinder suspicion?

Halligan

Adventurer
By the looks of your pick the wheel cylinder bleeder is shiny, almost new looking. Did you replace the bleeder? If you didn't it could be a bad replacement wheel cylinder the prior owner installed. The fluid can only be two things, brake fluid or gear oil. If it;s gear oil a simple smell test will confirm. I betting on the wheel cylinder though.

Flazer

Observer
Leaking axle seal
Well, looks like you were right. Took off that drum and everything was covered in oil and grease. Now the question is, do I use the opportunity to upgrade the axle, or just repair it... We'll see what things look like under the diff cover tomorrow.
d48f99cefeb182e33602b0342ef04b5f.jpg
ca376856416bf0f7a7c517962e68eb7e.jpg
38762234e2d3189b2f26af49dc834031.jpg
02e07e95a10d026bb63082d597fc752c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior