3/4 Ton... Dodge or Ford?

sdwhip

Observer
I've seen trucks and trucks for sale with the 5.7 with 300k+ miles on them and by the look of some of them they were not easy miles. As long as you find one that hasn't been neglected and you take care of it, the engine on either truck should make it as long as you own the truck. Also other than some odd circumstance either transmission should last past 200k if not as long as the engine is still going. If your not brand loyal buy whichever you find the best deal on. My vote is still Dodge though.

kmcoop7

Observer
If you are looking for that body style dodge then yes, the power wagon is exaclty the same size as any other 2500/3500. Dodge didnt come out with a true crew cab until 4th gens in 2010.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
same size as the other Dodge 2500/3500s since they only come in short bed.
There were some long bed 3G PWs, but only with the standard cab, so all 3G PWs were the same overall length, and on the same frame/suspension. Rumor has it that the PW frames were designed to flex more than the regular 2500/3500 frames. I think they went to hydro-formed frames in 2006, so theoretically you can do more with a 2005 because it's safe to weld to those frames. Theoretically.

Viggen

Just here...
If you are looking for that body style dodge then yes, the power wagon is exaclty the same size as any other 2500/3500. Dodge didnt come out with a true crew cab until 4th gens in 2010.
That is the style I am looking for. My neighbor has one and it is just the right size. I only knew about the full four door PW. Was not aware that there was a previous version. I did a search and cannot find a single one near me

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There were some long bed 3G PWs, but only with the standard cab, so all 3G PWs were the same overall length, and on the same frame/suspension. Rumor has it that the PW frames were designed to flex more than the regular 2500/3500 frames. I think they went to hydro-formed frames in 2006, so theoretically you can do more with a 2005 because it's safe to weld to those frames. Theoretically.
The hydroformed frame was introduced in 2003 with the 3rd gen platform. It was one of Dodge's bragging pts. Dodge elects to use a stiff frame and compliant suspension which I think lends itself to door/hood alignment.
I rode in a 2012 F-250 in the posted photo. 6.2 engine + a Carli 2.5 pintop/rear full leafs suspension. Coming from a diesel the engines are smooth bit a bit doggy,but the build quality seemed fine. The Carli suspension dramatically improves handling on every application be it Ford or Dodge.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The hydroformed frame was introduced in 2003 with the 3rd gen platform. It was one of Dodge's bragging pts. Dodge elects to use a stiff frame and compliant suspension which I think lends itself to door/hood alignment.
You may be correct, but word on the PW forums was that the PW got the hydroformed frame after the 2005 model year. I don't know for sure, but I'll poke around a little.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I did look around re the hydroforming, and it seems that just about every year since late 2002, Dodge has touted their "new and improved" hydroformed frame components. From the stuff I just read on multiple sources, sounds like they have hydroformed certain components since 2003 model year, and have added different sections intermittently over the years. What I remember from the PW sites is a series of discussions about welding rock rails to the PW frames vs bolting them (as the factory rail sets were done). As I recall, consensus was that it was OK to weld 2005 and earlier, but not on 2006 and later. My memory may be hazy (or I may be wrong).

Ozymandias

Observer
Hydroformed is since the beginning of the Gen.3 in 2003.
All Frames are 3500 Frames in whatever HD Truck they sit, except Cab Chassis Models.

Halligan

Adventurer
Viggen, the 3rd generation (2005-2009) Dodge/Power Wagon has an available quad cab with a cab equivalent to the extended cab Ford Superduty except the doors open normally. Also, a 5.4 Triton in a Super Duty is a gutless engine. Go drive a 5.7 Hemi 2500 Dodge then a 5.4 Superduty and you'll see what I mean. Lastly, while the Dodge may require a front end rebuild which can be done with quality aftermarket parts that will last a long time the Superduty may require head work if the notorious spark plug issue crops up. Pick your poison….

Halligan

Adventurer
One more thing, the Dodge Quad Cab is a little longer than the Ford Supercab. But, the Dodge bed is a little shorter than the Ford bed so overall the trucks are the same length.

thethePete

Explorer
Lastly, while the Dodge may require a front end rebuild which can be done with quality aftermarket parts that will last a long time the Superduty may require head work if the notorious spark plug issue crops up. Pick your poison….

Head work? I've never seen a 5.4 need head work for "spark plug issues" and at this stage in the game, it's almost a guarantee the engine he buys won't have the original plugs. There is an updated design that doesn't break in the head, and even when they do the extrator kit works great. The older engines spit plugs, but they make a specific heli-coil kit to repair them.

You are right about afternarket front end parts beefing up a Dodge to some level of reliability though. And you can do an update on the older ones to newer components which are much more durable. Like you said, pick your poision. If you're looking for a gas powered HD truck, fuel economy is going to be marignal at best, and power is going to be inversely proprtional.

CCPAJeeper

Observer
I had a 5.4 in an 04 Ford 1500 and nothing but problems. Head gaskets at 40K and blew four plugs out over the next 80K miles.
I now have an 04 Dodge 2500 with a 5.7, no problems at all. Good power. Now, it is not easy on gas. Combination of city highway, 11.5 mpg. Hwy 14 mpg. No lift, 355 gears. with 285s.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A Ford front end is no better than a Dodge, and I own about 10 trucks 2006 or newer currently so I think its an honest opinion. The Ford 5.4 is a crappy engine IMO. In a 3/4 ton gas that's your price range I think the Chevy will be most dependable from a motor/trans standpoint. Ford/Dodge will be equal behind the Chevy.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Head work? I've never seen a 5.4 need head work for "spark plug issues" and at this stage in the game, it's almost a guarantee the engine he buys won't have the original plugs. There is an updated design that doesn't break in the head, and even when they do the extrator kit works great. The older engines spit plugs, but they make a specific heli-coil kit to repair them.

By head work do you mean valve work? Because having to have a shop put Heli coils in your head because it spat your spark plugs through the hood qualifies as "head work" in my world.

I'll also ask you to show me a single stock 6.7 Cummins with a blown head gasket. I've been running these trucks (and F350s) for a long time, and have never even heard of a head gasket going. Trying to say a 6.7 Cummins is less reliable than any of Fords Triton gas engines (especially the 5.4) is so ludicrous it defies belief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz