Starcraft Comet Extreme Review

tlrols

Updates...

Updates...

I was in Sandpoint. That may have been me. The nice part of the A-frame pop up is that you literally open it up, 1 minute tops, and start cooking, etc. Perfect for pulling into a rest stop and having lunch.

Latest tweaks. Spent silly money on a Zamp solar package. 160 watt fold out solar. In good sunlight it is capable of 10 or more amps delivered into the battery. The trailer was wired for the Zamp package and it works nicely. Basically I leave it plugged in when boondocking and skip worrying about the 12vdc system.

However, hair dryers and flat irons are part of the estrogen rich world I live in. Lifestyle choices indicated that a Honda EU3000i generator was needed (so did a recent power outage for six days...curses on my employer for that). That Honda is amazing, both in quietness and price. We run it for full up AC electricity in the boonies...it is small, relatively light, and amazingly quiet. Rather funny that you can run most appliances off it in Eco mode but not a hair dryer. But hey, hair dryer and showers make for a nice experience. The generator is big enough to run the air conditioning unit so the trailer is full up boonie capable.

I swapped out the steel propane tanks for fiberglass ones. A bit of a diet on weight so I can put more junk on the forward cargo rack area and easier to haul around.

Future tweaks are probably a beefier rear bumper tied into the frame with some real steel. I suppose I need to get the welder out and see to that this spring. I aim to put a tow hitch on the back bumper so if I have to turn around I can just unhitch and drag it backwards using the back bumper. I have had to unhitch a few times now...learning my lesson about dropping the trailer and exploring with the rig first. At right around 2000 pounds it just is too big to manhandle on rough ground.

So far my assessment is that the design of the trailer is sound but the execution is a bit uneven. Inside it needs more light so I went to harbor freight and picked up a ratchet cargo bar that I put on the top of the A inside and hang 4 LED shoji lights on it. Nice ambience. I am surprised that no one builds these trailers with a generator in them. Probably a price thing.

I continue to be happy with it. This is my first, and likely last RV and from what I gather you get these things and then start a slow upgrading path. I do need to sort out some sort of water filtering so I can resupply from lakes and streams for showering and the like. Drinking water always get filtered if for no other reason then the RV plumbing imparts that nasty plastic taste to water.

My list of what you might do if you get something like this is as follows:
1. Inspect the water tank and reinforce it with BIG steel angle, straps, etc. The damn thing just might fall out.
2. Get a better shower head. There are nice aerator shower heads that feel rather nice. The shower head that came with it was a sorry excuse for a shower.
3. Get a bigger and better water pump. Not surprisingly stuff like water pumps tend towards cheap for the initial build. I am swapping mine out for bigger with more flow and pressure.
4. I may re-plumb it at some future date with plumbing that is bigger than my pinky. I like water pressure and flow!
5. You have to be very disciplined at what you want to bring with you...we are getting better at it
6. The damn dinette table is too big and heavy. I understand that it is there to make the dinette into a bed but it is damn awkward for a table. I plan to fix that with a better table for sitting around and then some sort of reinforced plywood base for turning the front dinette into a bed.
7. Get a generator. I got my trailer loaded with heat pump unit for the A/C and it is nice to be able to use that.
8. Get a 1500 Watt electric heater. If I am at an RV park it is all I need to make the inside toasty. Also, I find that my generator is more fuel efficient at keeping the thing warm with the little heater than the rather fuel hungry propane furnace is. Add to the fact that gasoline is more available than propane is and the generator is a real winner for fun camping.
9. Finally, consider the A-Frame as a big tent of sorts. With a mattress, running water, microwave, heat, etc...my point being that it seems best to do many things outside of it. We have an induction "hotplate" and we generally cook outside if possible.
10. Last thing I recommend is an awning that hangs over the front. I have seen them, nice touch. I want one!

OldPinkDragon

Great info! Keep it coming if you're so inclined!

My husband and I are first time RV'ers and we purchased this exact comet - 1235 Extreme. It was probably overkill on our part because we're old and the likelihood of us dry camping in really remote areas is next to zip.

However, despite our being part of the older crowd, we have just graduated from tenting to the A-Frame - love at first sight. We just set it up today for the first time since purchase and we're towing it with a dodge grand caravan 6cyl and had the same issue with low tow clearance and had an equalizer with a 10 notcher put in just to level the camper out.

We very much appreciate the advice that you have given. Alot of it is useful to us despite our different camping "environments". The water tank, the bed, the shower.

We're still figuring out how to "unwinterize" it and get started. (I told you we were completely new).

Any advice for newbies about getting set up for the first time?

tlrols

Advice

Water is how to unwinterize...fill up the water tank and let the water come out of the faucets. You will want to be sure that the hot water tank is flowing water. Look under the dinette seat next to the sink and you will see the valves that shut off/turn on or bypass the hot water heater. Other than that give it a good rinse and consider using a cup of unscented bleach to sterilize the water system and you should be good to go.

I really would get a ratcheting cargo bar to put at the top of the A-frame after you have it up. It won't be in your way, adds peace of mind for reinforcing the sides, and most importantly gives you a place to hang stuff like lights, clothes, etc.

I personally think the trailer is designed with a bit too much weight on the tongue. I switched to fiberglass propane tanks to loose some weight--wow, Viking cylinder makes them and they are light! Expensive (compared to steel) and you need to get them filled (not really swappable unless you want to get steel tanks in their place). Next step is when the battery dies is to switch to a larger Lithium battery...27 pounds in weight (and about $1000 :Wow1: ...but the math says they are cheaper since they last longer).

Basically I think the only thing you want is a quiet generator that will run the trailer...that is about all it really needs. I got the Honda because I wanted to support my local implement guy. If I was focused solely on price I would give Harbor Freight's inverter generators a look--hard to beat the price and if it is just for use in the trailer I doubt you would run into any problems in wearing it out.

I think the mattress has maybe a three year life. I am planning to get a foam mattress which is an inch thicker.

Also, inspect the RTV caulking around the windows, fan, everywhere...it doesn't last long. Get some masking tape out and consider re-caulking an annual maintenance thing. I had a small leak on a bubble window that was due to a piece of RTV falling off. I suspect there are better products for this application than what the factory used. It was a 1 minute fix so i didn't worry about it much.

Have fun it it and share what you have learned. They sure are a conversation starter!

Last edited:

tlrols

Propane Tanks going on a diet

I have decided my Comet Extreme trailer is a bit too heavy...total weight and tongue weight. Aside from the heavy dining table (all particle board construction) I noticed the steel propane tanks have some weight to them. I repurposed them to life grilling and switched to Viking fiberglass tanks. Wow...half the weight.

propane_tank.jpg

These things are slick. Next up is a replacement for the dining table, and then if prices drop a new Lithium battery. Weight loss is a good thing since man handling the front is not easily done yet.

tlrols

Update six years later…ish. Still rolling with the Comet. StarCraft sold itself to JayCo and these are no longer available. The pandemic seems to have fatally wounded Chalet so most A-Frames are from Aliner.

What have I learned?
Coat the raw plywood inside. It sucks up wet otherwise. I used a spar varnish.

Caulk, caulk, caulk. The bubble windows got Eternabond taped. No leaks!

The crappy stereo got replaced. The spare tire is now under mounted via a tire hoist. Some 2” angle iron was welded to the bumper to support a 40” aluminum cargo box. Some 60mm mortar ammo cases are strapped up front for storage. The mattress got tossed as well as did the horrible dining table…3/4” Baltic Birch plywood is the fix there.

So far the thing is working well enough. Expect build issues. Ponder cabinet swapping in the future with real plywood and not the cheap stuff it comes with. The heater and water heater are scheduled for a propex heater swap and an on-demand water heater.

tlrols

Both. The outside steel is C channel with an inside section using box channel. The frame is stout and well designed. The inside is the usual disposable RV stuff.

tlrols

I took some time out to upgrade my 120 VAC outlets with ones with USB chargers built in. Found yet another cheap RV builder practice. Self tapping outlets…aka fire starters. How these meet code is beyond me. They nicely cut the conductors upon installation. Weirdly Amazon carries these awful things and they have amazingly high reviews!
943517C8-4CAE-43D5-B461-154593FCDE62.jpegDEA785FD-8F67-4BC6-B6F3-7746B9539A3C.jpeg

Treefarmer

Updates...

Updates...

I was in Sandpoint. That may have been me. The nice part of the A-frame pop up is that you literally open it up, 1 minute tops, and start cooking, etc. Perfect for pulling into a rest stop and having lunch.

Latest tweaks. Spent silly money on a Zamp solar package. 160 watt fold out solar. In good sunlight it is capable of 10 or more amps delivered into the battery. The trailer was wired for the Zamp package and it works nicely. Basically I leave it plugged in when boondocking and skip worrying about the 12vdc system.

However, hair dryers and flat irons are part of the estrogen rich world I live in. Lifestyle choices indicated that a Honda EU3000i generator was needed (so did a recent power outage for six days...curses on my employer for that). That Honda is amazing, both in quietness and price. We run it for full up AC electricity in the boonies...it is small, relatively light, and amazingly quiet. Rather funny that you can run most appliances off it in Eco mode but not a hair dryer. But hey, hair dryer and showers make for a nice experience. The generator is big enough to run the air conditioning unit so the trailer is full up boonie capable.

I swapped out the steel propane tanks for fiberglass ones. A bit of a diet on weight so I can put more junk on the forward cargo rack area and easier to haul around.

Future tweaks are probably a beefier rear bumper tied into the frame with some real steel. I suppose I need to get the welder out and see to that this spring. I aim to put a tow hitch on the back bumper so if I have to turn around I can just unhitch and drag it backwards using the back bumper. I have had to unhitch a few times now...learning my lesson about dropping the trailer and exploring with the rig first. At right around 2000 pounds it just is too big to manhandle on rough ground.

So far my assessment is that the design of the trailer is sound but the execution is a bit uneven. Inside it needs more light so I went to harbor freight and picked up a ratchet cargo bar that I put on the top of the A inside and hang 4 LED shoji lights on it. Nice ambience. I am surprised that no one builds these trailers with a generator in them. Probably a price thing.

I continue to be happy with it. This is my first, and likely last RV and from what I gather you get these things and then start a slow upgrading path. I do need to sort out some sort of water filtering so I can resupply from lakes and streams for showering and the like. Drinking water always get filtered if for no other reason then the RV plumbing imparts that nasty plastic taste to water.

My list of what you might do if you get something like this is as follows:
1. Inspect the water tank and reinforce it with BIG steel angle, straps, etc. The damn thing just might fall out.
2. Get a better shower head. There are nice aerator shower heads that feel rather nice. The shower head that came with it was a sorry excuse for a shower.
3. Get a bigger and better water pump. Not surprisingly stuff like water pumps tend towards cheap for the initial build. I am swapping mine out for bigger with more flow and pressure.
4. I may re-plumb it at some future date with plumbing that is bigger than my pinky. I like water pressure and flow!
5. You have to be very disciplined at what you want to bring with you...we are getting better at it
6. The damn dinette table is too big and heavy. I understand that it is there to make the dinette into a bed but it is damn awkward for a table. I plan to fix that with a better table for sitting around and then some sort of reinforced plywood base for turning the front dinette into a bed.
7. Get a generator. I got my trailer loaded with heat pump unit for the A/C and it is nice to be able to use that.
8. Get a 1500 Watt electric heater. If I am at an RV park it is all I need to make the inside toasty. Also, I find that my generator is more fuel efficient at keeping the thing warm with the little heater than the rather fuel hungry propane furnace is. Add to the fact that gasoline is more available than propane is and the generator is a real winner for fun camping.
9. Finally, consider the A-Frame as a big tent of sorts. With a mattress, running water, microwave, heat, etc...my point being that it seems best to do many things outside of it. We have an induction "hotplate" and we generally cook outside if possible.
10. Last thing I recommend is an awning that hangs over the front. I have seen them, nice touch. I want one!
What brand/model of larger water pump are you considering?

Treefarmer

I'm just wondering why all RV pumps seem to be 3 GPM. If there are higher GPM brands/models that are of better quality, I'd be interested. I haven't done any research on it yet, but will be over the next few months, so I'm always looking for ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior