Diesel 04 E-350 Cube Van Camper

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Let me start off by saying your rig is awesome and the inspiration for me building one. Im doing it the hard way though piece by piece and 5.4 instead of the 6.0.
here a link to my progress if you want to take a look.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/2241074-e350-box-van-rv-expo-shorty.html#post35185586

What other ideas are you thinking about or does it work just like you want it right now? Do you plan on adding
any a/c or heat? Insulation? maybe 4x4 down the road? I really like the idea of having the back open like you show in this picture

Do you have a full weight of yours the way it sits now?

aweosme! answered your questions above 2 posts earlier, but great! as noted the 5.4 will be great especially in lower elevations (we're at 7K so the turbo helps here). But very cool and congrats! Years ago I was a lackie on Pirate and took way too much time on projects. But good on you!!!

cheers, Andre

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Can I resurrect this?

I'm thinking of something like a small e series box truck and wanted to know if the ujoint kit would fit? I assume it will but you know what they say about assumptions!! Thanks!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I feel you on the 6.0. I've had 3'and still own the 3rd. All have cost money, though this last one was done pre-emptively and hasn't hit me with any surprises yet.

It's my understanding that in the van apps they were detuned a bit because of heat. As in it generates too much and the vans suck at getting rid of it. You might want to consider some louvers in the hood or some other way of venting as much heat as possible. If the engines tuned up it probably shouldn't be. Stock power is plenty to move than rig, and then some. I'll assume you've done the biggies, as in head work and the egr delete. The 6.0 is really a strong running engine and when you've spent the money to fix some of its shortcomings should be dependable.

Cough(ujoint)cough! :)

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
It is easy to remove the heat, put the auxiliary/additional transmission cooler underneath along with any other high temp fluids too.
I've done this and it works.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It is easy to remove the heat, put the auxiliary/additional transmission cooler underneath along with any other high temp fluids too.
I've done this and it works.

My 7.3 is just the opposite. Thing stays bone ******** cold if I'm not moving, and in the winter struggles for some heat even if I am moving.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Mine too!
But I'm currently residing in fl, so any heat out is good.
But when I do visit the cold parts of the country my 7.3 struggles to stay within normal temps and takes 15+ mins just to hit 100EOT. I was hoping for a nice balance... yeah... lol

But I thought my cooling ideas might be helpful for 6.0 owners?

BradKW

Nice looking conversion, thank you for posting it!

I'm currently shopping 12' - 14' box trucks and used uhaul/penske rigs are very common. Thanks for confirming your 6.0 experience...I keep fighting accepting prevailing wisdom because there's some really nice deals with 6.0 diesels.

When I look at most box trucks, the rear end is notably higher than the front, so even on level ground your box floor is pitched. Did adding the lift kits even that out, either intentionally or otherwise? Ty

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Pardon the late reply. A ujoimt kit will fit, the vehicle is an e350 in all aspects other than it has a Dana 70 rear end from a dually.

I have off roader the snot out of it / as much as I care and the 2wd goes everywhere, as long as it's dry. I haven't yet had to use the winch. Things rattle around in campers and vans, really 4wd is over rated in my opinion (if you guys knew me better your jaws would drop). I might actually convert it someday but likely unnecessary. A limited slip will !take a massive difference. Even in this heavy winter it did great.

Also I've been reevaluating my comments on the 6.0. Now that it is running well I love it again. 4" echasut and louvers will help with heat but its not so bad. The engine itself is wickedly powerful and this is nice. The v8 is good, the v10 is great. I have been averaging 75-80mph even w the 4.10 rear end and it's been great. Very few complaints about this truck.

Hope it helps...

Can I resurrect this?

I'm thinking of something like a small e series box truck and wanted to know if the ujoint kit would fit? I assume it will but you know what they say about assumptions!! Thanks!

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
That's a really sweet van. I was looking for one of those before I picked up the one I have now.

RC413

Observer
Still one of my favorite builds here ever. So much so that i am about to pick up a box van myself.

Have you had any issues with the box or fairing itself? I like the spartan boxes as well but just wanted to be sure the box wont fold in the first 1000mi of gravel.

Thanks Ross

I know, old thread, but a great build!!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
After nearly 12 years I have the truck for sale. Just coming across the old thread that I thought I posted.

0731201411e_HDR-X3.jpg

The 6.0 has actually been stellar now for years. I had to do a turbo only at 175K that's only because I didn't do it at 154K when I had the engine out and they need a refresh about 150K in the variable vein area (very easy to clean an refresh). I also added a higher output compression wheel at the time. It still runs and drives just awesome, all day long. I have also gotten it stuck, finally, now a couple times after all these years.

The Dana 70 is an ultra heavy duty version that only comes in duallys with Ford and that has been nice. 4 wheel disc brakes with powerful hydro boost.

I added AC to the roof and other nice features. the tool box as the "kitchen" has been nice but that will be replaced with a fresh one shortly, that will be slightly smaller (no big deal).

I'm also redoing the interior and will put the bed with a ATV winch system that will allow it to retract into the ceiling. It's already surprisingly massive inside but this will make it even better. The garage door is awesome but I'll be building a new custom 2 piece door (one big, one smaller access door to reduce noise and increase insulation.

I'll miss it. It's pretty much the best off road and camping rig I've ever had, ever. Amazingly practical, clever and high performance. The 6.0 diesel is just amazing mostly due to its power and overall performance. It just must be dialed first. It's so good that I was thinkibng of getting a Ford pickup and just proactively bullet proofing now that I know what I'm doing with them. It's not too hard, just bite the bullet.

thanks!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
80 miles per hour the whole way home on this trip, with this setup, without even blinking.

1007201141a_HDR.jpg

Here it is one of the few times it's gotten stuck.
AM-JKLUYMZOyB9cXRpjbCIS38ad8XCPRaL4BT6ZzvGikT9wPzWop__rrB52HYZWYQQQZDV2H3473pHDzCjTYp09QIx191xobKtnIiszjIOdXAswVi3y1xYFaQcjc3yd_xFbI93F8aKmygiRN5KMQinnhIuLP_Q=w733-h977-no

Here it is pulling a massive, 12,000 lb 38' toy hauler bumper pull RV trailer. About as big as you can get as bumper pull. Again, didn't even blink. the only issue was the trailer would start swaying around 70. Not the truck's fault.
0705201208b.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
On the way to Lake Tahoe as well. I was driving out to sell / swap KTM motorcycles with a guy and to pick up a classic BMW car.
1003201643_HDR.jpg

Female friendly, which is awesome.

AM-JKLXIpm8USj2eOIPvkJUskbwZq2RjlwUUtC2QXJKvugg23DTxID4Qn2gUtOX1LmoCkIZ1FgfDgK82LlOOTRcYZrIWRwsXiYfrHtDjC7XaXWPuTQO2X3IbqIVx3SSQwNmnTXOoDKGM9CGvlh-SpyXrh09vgw=w1303-h977-no

I love this pic. you can also see the 5 gallon pail I use to collect grey water from the sink. Use Dr. Bronner's or another biodegradable soap, and you can just toss it when you leave.
AM-JKLW1acNMnsOC_EX6dwadO5D_EH-4rTukeXcKMvXSUnLGqSLR2q28f_AhSp5tyVlVwl2I864wJ51UzQhcbcoAjJ-RgvnGbaOmcmslQhYzpVE1AlbXLEgHyaIusTMviHz_RHcJXs9BfLznujXSjUfuypRLUg=w1303-h977-no

You can better see the AC unit, a Coleman Mach-something from this angle. This is the day my old Saab 9000 finally said by. Miss that car too. It was like a brand new 25 year old Saab.
137-X3.jpg

AM-JKLWD6NctiYrLxJsMjA13omSlFJ3sxBNoGUj52KgS4yNX4G3PRJhD79wk7GgARk6tkRb8F14mPFBn16YXdGtdMDR843q9iD4B8IZfgSZINu7c_Sz3iGXihjOPt95xDZYeyefnPydO29xAoIzdH6t66Pwlwg=w1303-h977-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online