Cooper ST Maxx vs BFG AT KO2

cr500taco

Adventurer
Tried searching online, but didnt have any luck. I was pretty much set on the ST Maxx, but read good reviews about the KO2's and wondering how they compare. Looking for feedback from people that have experience with both and which is preferred. I am currently on my 3rd set of BFG KO's and have been reading that tbe KO2's are a big improvement over them.

Last edited:

DiscoDino

Observer
I've had KOs in the past, not the KO2 of current...but with the set of Maxx tires I have on the current truck, I'm UBER impressed...the usual Cooper quality, strength, and a relatively smart treat that is both aggressive on the sides, and mild in the middle...road noise low, traction in sand and rocks great...can't complain. No winters in Dubai :)

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The Cooper ST-MAXXs are much more aggressive tires - a hybrid all terrain/mud terrain tire, while the BFG KO2s are just an all-terrain tire. A more direct competitor to the KO2 would be Cooper's Discoverer AT3 which solidly outperforms the BFG KOs. While I've had many sets of KOs, I do not have any experience with the KO2s; with that said, I find the ST-MAXX to be superior on-road (although more tire hum while cornering, due to the MAXX's mud-terrain-like shoulder lugs) and world's better off-road than the KOs ever were. Cooper really nailed it with their magical rubber compound that simply doesn't care how wet the asphalt is, and their engineers somehow managed to make this aggressive tire so quiet. The ST-MAXXs also provide much deeper tread which enhances off-road traction and of course gives a longer life. The KO2s are undoubtedly upgraded over the KOs, so I'm dying to see a comparison between them and the current benchmark, the AT3s. However, I wanted a more offroad-oriented tire so I chose the ST-MAXXs.

As for kojackJKU's warning about the stiffness of the MAXX's sidewall, keep in mind that different sizes of these tires have different load ratings. Most of the ST-MAXXs are load range E, but the 315/70R17 (a.k.a. 35x12.5R17) on my Jeep are load range D and ride just like every other load range D tire I've had on my Jeep, no complaints. You'll have much more of a difference in ride quality from what pressure you run in your tires than what the load rating is. If puncture resistence is high on your list, the KO2 is definitely better than the KO, but I still think it falls below the standard set by the ST-MAXX.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yes, I had the E load 285/70/17. The size I will always install on my Jeep. When my KOs wear out, I am probably going to go back to the Maxx for the extended grip off road and less squirrely feeling on road.

VistaCruiser

Observer
Haven't been disappointed in the Maxx yet. They evacuate water/slush better than the interlocking center tread of the BFG KO (same tread as KO2), and a tough sidewall that still rides great. 245 70R17 E load range, 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee w/QuadraDrive no lift. Recent snow no issues street or trail.

cr500taco

Adventurer
The Cooper ST-MAXXs are much more aggressive tires - a hybrid all terrain/mud terrain tire, while the BFG KO2s are just an all-terrain tire. A more direct competitor to the KO2 would be Cooper's Discoverer AT3 which solidly outperforms the BFG KOs. While I've had many sets of KOs, I do not have any experience with the KO2s; with that said, I find the ST-MAXX to be superior on-road (although more tire hum while cornering, due to the MAXX's mud-terrain-like shoulder lugs) and world's better off-road than the KOs ever were. Cooper really nailed it with their magical rubber compound that simply doesn't care how wet the asphalt is, and their engineers somehow managed to make this aggressive tire so quiet. The ST-MAXXs also provide much deeper tread which enhances off-road traction and of course gives a longer life. The KO2s are undoubtedly upgraded over the KOs, so I'm dying to see a comparison between them and the current benchmark, the AT3s. However, I wanted a more offroad-oriented tire so I chose the ST-MAXXs.

As for kojackJKU's warning about the stiffness of the MAXX's sidewall, keep in mind that different sizes of these tires have different load ratings. Most of the ST-MAXXs are load range E, but the 315/70R17 (a.k.a. 35x12.5R17) on my Jeep are load range D and ride just like every other load range D tire I've had on my Jeep, no complaints. You'll have much more of a difference in ride quality from what pressure you run in your tires than what the load rating is. If puncture resistence is high on your list, the KO2 is definitely better than the KO, but I still think it falls below the standard set by the ST-MAXX.
Thanks for that long thorough reply. I was thinking that with the more aggressiveness of the KO2's, they would be more in the ballpark of the ST Maxx and not the AT3 like the old KO. But, guess I was wrong. I did slme researching of AT tires and read in a few articles that the AT3 beat the KO in performance. That's what got me into researching Coopers. But, before that, I never heard of Cooper, I dont think.
The lack of 3 ply sidewall of the AT3 concerned me and that's why I started looking into thw ST Maxx.

I am getting 31x10.5x15 and my understanding is that tje ST Maxx are load C like my KO's.

Im sticking with getting the ST Maxx.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What vehicles are wearing these shoes? Do they fit the F-150's desires? I don't think we can compare without knowing what is wearing them :)

CCPAJeeper

Observer
CR, I have a ST Maxx on my Dodge 2500, my son has KO2s on his second gen 1500 and my wife has AT3 on her Grand Cherokee. The KO2 is way more aggressive than the AT3. They are not comparative tires. The ST Maxx clears a little better in sticky mud than the KO2. Both ST Maxx and KO2 are good in snow and slush. AT3 is good in snow, not real good in mud.
So, based on your info on the application, your best choices will between the ST Maxx and KO2. We really like both tires and the performance is really close. My son and I wheel together, the trucks are essentially the same- open diffs factory gearing, 2 in leveling kit, exact same tire size 285s, and we go at the same time. There is no discernible performance difference. Both tires perform very well with surprisingly similar characteristics.

cr500taco

Adventurer
CR, I have a ST Maxx on my Dodge 2500, my son has KO2s on his second gen 1500 and my wife has AT3 on her Grand Cherokee. The KO2 is way more aggressive than the AT3. They are not comparative tires. The ST Maxx clears a little better in sticky mud than the KO2. Both ST Maxx and KO2 are good in snow and slush. AT3 is good in snow, not real good in mud.
So, based on your info on the application, your best choices will between the ST Maxx and KO2. We really like both tires and the performance is really close. My son and I wheel together, the trucks are essentially the same- open diffs factory gearing, 2 in leveling kit, exact same tire size 285s, and we go at the same time. There is no discernible performance difference. Both tires perform very well with surprisingly similar characteristics.
Thanks for that comparison. That's what I wanted to know. Sounds like the ST Maxx is the superior over the KO2. I'M sticking with my original thought and getting the Maxx.

Applejack

Explorer
Haven't been disappointed in the Maxx yet. They evacuate water/slush better than the interlocking center tread of the BFG KO (same tread as KO2), and a tough sidewall that still rides great. 245 70R17 E load range, 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee w/QuadraDrive no lift. Recent snow no issues street or trail.

No, not the same. Yes they carry a heavy resemblance to the old, they are a completely different tire now.

Perhaps I had a bad set of ST Maxx but I never did fing out first hand what all the fans were gushing over with these tires. Tough as hell, yes, but traction at usable street pressure was crap off road under my 5000lb 5Runner. I did have the E rated tires because that's all that was available for my size and aired down to 18 psi from 32 and I had no traction issues with them, but unless I'm planning a day of off roading airing down is a hassle I'd rather not endure. Even driving up a dirt boat ramp at a local lake we frequent, required shifting into 4 wheel drive just to climb back up, something I never had to do with any other tire except for the Nitto Terra (not trail) Grapplers.l I know others are swearing by them, but me personally....meh, I can't see myself ever buying another set unless maybe I had a full size vehicle carrying lots of weight. So there, I will be the sole voice of descent :sombrero:

doubleroses

Adventurer
I have the KO2's on my 80 Series. I just got done taking a trip to Moab where I did the White Rim Trail and the Lockhart Basin Trail. Both had snow in the worst parts of the trail. I was not impressed with the tires when it came to the snow but besides that I enjoyed them. They were quite on the road and did just fine off road, besides the snow parts.

I have run the ST MAXX'S on my 2013 Tacoma and 2014 4Runner. The tire is heavy as hell and can be stiff if you run it at 35 for those vehicles. I dropped the pressure down to 32 and they felt great. They do amazing on wet roads. They do great in the mud and snow because of the more aggressive tread pattern. For my 2006 LX470 I'll be putting a set of ST MAXX'S on. They will only be used for overlanding/off road use just to save tread life.

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with either but I personally like the ST MAXX'S better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have the KO2's on my 80 Series. I just got done taking a trip to Moab where I did the White Rim Trail and the Lockhart Basin Trail. Both had snow in the worst parts of the trail. I was not impressed with the tires when it came to the snow but besides that I enjoyed them. They were quite on the road and did just fine off road, besides the snow parts.

I have run the ST MAXX'S on my 2013 Tacoma and 2014 4Runner. The tire is heavy as hell and can be stiff if you run it at 35 for those vehicles. I dropped the pressure down to 32 and they felt great. They do amazing on wet roads. They do great in the mud and snow because of the more aggressive tread pattern. For my 2006 LX470 I'll be putting a set of ST MAXX'S on. They will only be used for overlanding/off road use just to save tread life.

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with either but I personally like the ST MAXX'S better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for that info. What size tires did you have on thw Tacoma and 4runner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier